Body armor at the range

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by KJG67, Feb 3, 2013.

1. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

So this question has been burning in the back of my head lately, and now with the tragic news of Chris Kyle I have to ask. Absolutely nothing against brand new gun owners because we all can made mistakes, but I'm having a hard time going to the range on weekends now when there appears to be many brand new gun owners. I've only seen a few clowns that made me nervous where I've just sat back and watched to make sure they weren't being reckless, but I've seen plenty of people that while always pointing the barrel down-range, certainly appear a bit nervous. I'm by no means a seasoned expert, but know enough to help others out when I can or at least point them out the SO. And of course there's a thread here with some crazy and tragic range stories.

So the question is, how many of you wear body armor to the range? Am I just paranoid to consider it? If you do, what are wearing? Level II or IIIA?

2. ArrizX

ArrizX New Member

I have never even considered this. I guess I live in a small town, with few people at the range. Everyone where I live owns a gun or 3 anyways.

Ive always figured the gun range is the safest place to be.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Range safety violations should be reported to the staff.

On the vest issue, IMO one should train as realistic as possible.
    (And standing at a line, shooting paper, is not training. It is practice for shooting.)

4. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

We were muzzle flashed by some clown yesterday at the range. He was jawjacking with two friends and holding a revolver by the frame facing backwards and parallel to the firing line. We were on our way out and there wasn't anyone else in that bay, but that's how sh!t happens. Ignorant, careless people

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away......

I used to have the responsibility to take non-combat arms branch Lt Cols for their "familiarization" fire. They did not have to qualify- just fire 2 mags with pistol, 2 mags with rifle, and get the bullets to go in the general direction of between the range limit left and right markers.

Most were Staff Judge Advocate, Adjutant General, or similar. Most had never fired a weapon. Once in a while an Ordnance officer would creep in- THEY were good. The others?

I wore a flack jacket and a loaded 45.

My current range? Nope. We are self policing, and pretty good about range manners.

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

We you allowed to return fire? :eek:

Me- I'm always prepared ;)
    [​IMG]

7. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

when I was at the AFA I spent a summer as a combat arms instructor, teaching new cadets fresh out of high school how to operate and maintain the M16. During the live fire portion of the day, we as range officers had loaded M9s on us.

However, they were not to be used in the case of an idiot shooter, but in case someone went postal on the line from all the "mental stresses" of basic training. Obviously no one ever went crazy and started shooting at anything but paper, but we did have several people who got smashed in the face by the side of their rifle as we kicked the muzzle to point back down range when they tried to turn around to us to indicate they had a jam and didn't know what to do.

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I'd rather catch a bullet in the vest,than in the chest. Being a range officer I've seen some dumb sh!t like guys shooting steel plates at 25 yards with an AR and people banging jammed guns on tables. I was muzzle swept by a woman with a .44 magnum who didn't speak english so she didn't understand any of the range commands. If I had been closer I would have disarmed her and probably hurt her in the process. She had no idea why or what I was yelling at her. By the time I closed the gap to her someone else had directed the gun down range. She could have easily killed someone and I honestly came close to drawing on her. You don't always get a second chance when it comes to an idiot with a gun. A vest is a good idea.

9. Ruger22lr

Ruger22lr New Member

hahahaa that made me laugh so hard. :D

10. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Yeah, I'm seriously thinking about dropping $400 on a concealed IIIA vest and considering it a lifetime insurance payment on center mass protection.

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Seeing where you come from, I wonder why you haven't bought on already.

12. TaurusUserPT92

TaurusUserPT92 New Member

I'd seriously consider finding a new range rather than feeling I needed a vest at the range. The range officers are pretty adept at getting rid of idiots at the range I go to. You get one chance to correct what you're doing wrong than you're out of there and they're really good at figuring out new shooters and giving them rules and pointers before letting them on the range

13. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I just posted a new thread...Body Armor Suggestion...looking for advice for folks who've worn this stuff extensively.

As an RSO for my range and given the number of new pistol owners out there, I am going to get myself one.

Looking for something concealable so I don't look like a Mall Ninja, that will stop all major pistol calibers at close range.

Suggestions welcome.

Tack

14. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

LOL! I'm in the 'burbs and relatively safe and quiet here and most of the places I travel to in the area.

The main range I go to I don't have concerns about at all, other than just someone cracking. If I want to rent with more variety or need to pick up ammo, the other two (one particularly near the city) there's a more varied crowd. I was picking up ammo at one on a Saturday and an old-timer asked if I was shooting today. I said no. He replied "I don't shoot here on the weekend either. Too much riff raff."

Cool! Glad I'm not the only one concerned, but you're in the line of fire way more than I am. It only takes once.

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I spent over 10 years as a range officer/master. Body armor is mandatory on our range. My armor has stopped 12 bullets that bounced back from defective steel targets and various range debris.

I also ALWAYS carried my pistol. When asked, I explained that I was there to insure the safety of EVERYONE. If someone decided to get stupid, I was there to put them down.

16. AR10

AR10 New Member

Mandatory as an employee of the range, or mandatory to use the range?

17. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

About a month and a half ago went to the range with the wife to work on her stance. standing at the last stall to the left i glanced right only to notice a younger man pointing a bolt action rifle at us. Not only was it pointed at us but he was racking the bolt. I grabed the wife and threw her to the ground. I started yelling cease fire. And once the ro noticed what was going on he started yelling at the kid. Bad idea the kid dropped the rifle while it was still pointed at us. Thank god the bolt sident close all the way. Ever sice then i wear my class lla plate carrier and my trama plates.

18. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Robo...

I've been looking at some level II LEO used and over run vests at bulletproofme.com

I understand these have a 5 year warranty period but this site has video of 11 year old vests stoping everything they were designed to stop... And they seem to Run about half the cost of new.

The only armor I've ever worn was the old woodland camo flak vests that were standard issue back in my grunt days and would appreciate your insight...

If it was your money...
    Would you be concerned about a vest that was older than 5 years...
    Tuckable flaps? Do these prevent the best from riding up while seated...
    Side protection... Sure, it's more protection but is it so uncomfortable that you'd rather not wear it at all...

I'd imaging you've gon through several of these over the years so please enlighten me. With 3 of 4 kids "yet to raise" I'd like to make sure that any range mishaps result in cracked or broken ribs rather than a through and through from some newbs FMJ target load..

Thanks

Tack

19. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

This thread makes me realize how lucky I am to have 28 acres to shoot at for free.Here's a pic of my buddy shooting on my little range,I can get back about 100 yards and still have the hill backstop.

Attached Files:

20. Kdub

Kdub New Member

I wear gator hawk vest while on duty. Worn under a shirt you cant really tell its there. It is fitted to me of course. It will stop handgun rounds and has a center mass trama insert. Tuckable flaps are a joke. I cut mine off of every vest I have owned. The important thing is to find one that fits well and is comfortable so you actually wear it. Make sure the panels overlap on the side. 5 years is our experation time we replace after that. Don't buy armor that has crease lines in it as these will be weak points where bullets can penetrate.