Blunderbuss?

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by Venom, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Venom

Venom New Member

Hey guys does anyone on here know anything about Blunderbusses? I've got one and was wondering if anyone could tell me if it's real or even fireable. Will post pics

2. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I'd have a really good gunsmith check it out to see if it's fireable. I'd also make sure to use light loads for it. As for it's authenticity, that will have to wait until we see the pics.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Pics and any markings on the gun.

4. Venom

Venom New Member

It may be a replica or something I picked it up at a yard sale and the lady didn't know anything about it and it was priced really low so I picked it up for the heck of it

image-2536137268.jpg

image-3662426730.jpg

image-2663364762.jpg

5. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

In that condition, it screams replica.

6. Venom

Venom New Member

I know but I don't know much on them and I'm having to locked at by a gun smith so we'll know soon if it'll fire and if it fires I'll be happy on that note and I will post results

7. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Put a magnet to it -- is all the metal iron based? Bet it's not. The holes go all the way thru the barrel too!?

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I'm going to say reproduction. Wood and metal on a 200 yr old black powder gun just does not look like that. If real, there will be some markings stamped on the barrel. You are also mising part of the cock that holds the flint in place.

9. Venom

Venom New Member

I'm am aware I'm missing that part I have it in the cabinet somewhere it fell off and agreed also no I could not find any makers stamps on it but regardless i was never assuming it was real I'm just hoping I can get it to fire because owning a fireable blunderbuss is neat alone if the smith says he can make it fire so be it if not I've got a neat toy or something haha

10. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Reproduction or not, that is a nice looking gun. IIRC, you can shoot anything out of them. They have used rocks, scrap metal, nails, ect as shot in the past. I do not know if that is safe to do nowadays though. I'd stick to actual shot like 00 buck shot.

11. Venom

Venom New Member

Oh defiantly haha but if I get a few 00 shots out I might try to fire nails we have a safe secure place to test

12. oldfogey4ever

oldfogey4ever New Member

A little late to the party I guess. The Blunderbuss is a largely forgotten part of American history, having serving on land (everyone has seen the pictures of the pilgrims at thanksgiving with their blunderbusses at the ready), having served settlers and militias throughout the French & Indian Wars, serving the militias throughout the Colonies during that little dust-up with England back in 1776. They were borne during Lewis & Clark's expeditions, homeguard duties with civil defense units (as well as seafaring duties with naval units -) during the War of 1812, saw action with the Texicans during Texas War of Independence with Mexico, as well as during the U.S. - Mexican War, and naval duties during that unpleasantness between the States during the early 1860's. 000 buck would be interesting in it.

13. BuryTheHatchet

BuryTheHatchet New Member

Dragging this thread out from a little ways back, LOL...One little fact...Colonial made weapons during the Revolutionary war have no markings. Done this way to protect the maker as the British punished them with death.

There was an authentic one on a weapons show that got fired for an auction appraisal. Value was around $15ooo-$20,ooo for American pieces. British and other Europeans ones around $8500. Replicas are worth $100.

14. oldfogey4ever

oldfogey4ever New Member

They have a "kit" one over here (Stonewall Creek Outfitters) that I'd like to have (4 Gauge). Bit outta my price range right now (toy fund piggy bank empty right now -) at $ 975.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  15. Hawg

Hawg New Member

A bit more that that depending on who made it unless you're just talking about decorator pieces.

16. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

You might pull the lock out and see if there is any identification stamps on the back side, also remove barrel from the stock and look at the underside the barrel for markings.
    By looking at it, you can tell by inside the inletting if its inletted by hand or machine inletted (cutter tool marks).

If it has tool marks it could most likely be a replica non-firearm.
    Check for a touch hole.

From what I understand, India has some pretty strict "Proof" laws based on the English Proof Laws.
    However there is "loophole" in India Proof laws that these companys exploit. IF the gun is made WITHOUT the touchhole drilled in a flintlock, or the vent in a percussion arm; then the "Gun" isn't a "Gun" at all but falls into the category of an "Object-De-Art," and of course, you don't have to Proof Objects-De-Art!*
    Indian Object-De-Art muskets use substandard seemless steel tubing that runs a high risk of blowing up if fired as a muzzleloader.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/721/1

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  17. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

There were tons of these "Decorators", imported from India. That is a Non-Gun for hanging on the wall. :)

18. Hawg

Hawg New Member

The one in the OP is but that was verified four years ago.

19. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

These guns are shipped into the country with out "Flash Holes". This makes them a Non-Firing gun. Some of the idiots who post that custom American Rifles Blow up and their India suicide muskets are great are simply not being truthful. :(