Bluing touch up

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by fa35jsf, May 13, 2013.

1. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

2. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

IMO the only cover-ups that seem to work perfectly come out of The White House.

3. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Thanks Hock for the quick humor but I really do have a problem here that I want to fix quickly.

4. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

I've used the perma blue cold blue many times & am always amazed at how well it can work. I had a spot on my CZ70 that the blue was completely worn off, the spot was about 3/8" in diameter. after a couple coats with the perma blue & some polishing with a paper towel you can't tell the spot was ever there.

it takes a bit of practice to get a good finish but it does work

5. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Will you explain the whole process to me? I don't want to F-up

6. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

For scratches and touch ups that Birchwood Casey cold blue works great.

7. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

it's pretty simple, clean & degrease the area, remove any rust, dab some cold blue on the scratch with a q tip or cloth, let soak for 30 seconds to a minute, wipe off & blend with a paper towel, cloth, or steel wool. repeat as neccessary

8. Drriley

Drriley New Member

don't expect the scratches to disappear, especially if they're deep. you'll just color them to match and they won't
    be as noticable. they only way to completely elimnate the scratch is to polish it out and then reblue. a much bigger
    job than a touch up.

Don't get me wrong, most of the time the touch up looks great if you aren't expecting the wrong thing.

chose the right product. If the area is aluminum, the perma blue wont do anything. if the area is steel, the
    aluma black is useless.

you can order some good products at Brownells (brownells.com) as well and they have some on line instructions.

which ever product you use, clean and degrease with 90% isopropyl Alcohol 1st. (anything less than 90% leaves residue)
    you can get it at any drug store, or walmart, etc.

apply with a clean cotton cloth (i use make up pads). don't use from the bottle, put some of the bluing chemical in a dish or something and work from there to keep from runing the remaining chemical.
    If it's steel you can apply the chemical with 0000 steel wool. it's fine enough not to add scraches if you dont press hard.

it's not hard to do. good luck.

9. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Mostly I am looking at touching up an AR-15 upper

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If parkerized, take a look at some of the paints available.

I rewelded a sight onto a CETME. Prior to assembly, I touched it up with a little, and it looks like factory.

11. JWagner

JWagner New Member

12. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

13. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Ok. So my AR is "hard coat anodized" so is this the same type of idea as bluing on steel. I know that aluminum doesn't oxide normally so just how well does that Casey aluminum bluing really work at fixing scratches?

14. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Wrecked the back of a worn-bluing High-Power with such stuff. Thankfully the Pachmayr Grips cover it...

15. nicklarimore

nicklarimore New Member

I have used a product called black magic on a blued surface and it worked well. Not sure about other finishes.

16. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Your AR 15 upper receiver is aluminum. The barrel is steel. Each will require a different method of coloring. Cold bluing will not work on the aluminum. There are touch-up solutions for aluminum. These will only color the scratches. Remember to oil the steel parts after touch up.

17. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Well I just used the Casey's Bluing kit on some scratches on my AR barrel and front sight post. The results were pretty good.

I didn't follow all of the directions because the first part calls for removing all of the old bluing which I was not going to do for just a few scratches. Here is what I did.

1) First is degrease it with spray.
    2) Then rinse the area with hot water and Dawn soap.
    3) Dry thoroughly and take some 0000 steel wool and rub the area down with soft-medium pressure.
    4) Rinse with hot water again until the metal is very warm. Dry.
    5) Apply the bluing and wait about a minute.
    6) Rinse with water and dry.
    7) Lightly sand the area with 0000 steel wool again to blend the area.
    Repeat steps 4-7 until you acquire the desired color. It took me about 5 times.
    8) Wipe down the area with the Birchwood wipes that are provided.