bluing aluminun

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by t.fowler99, Jun 13, 2012.

1. t.fowler99

t.fowler99 New Member

What the best way to bluing guns with an aluminun frame.

2. nukinfuts29

nukinfuts29 New Member

You cannot blue aluminum, it is anodized.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

yep- what he said. Bluing is controlled rusting. Aluminum does not turn into black iron oxide.

Anodizing is a combination of an electrical process and dyeing of the metal surface- generally not a home project.

For small scratches, try a Sharpie pen. For larger areas, look for a product called AlumaHyde. By Brownells, black spray lacquer for aluminum.

4. nukinfuts29

nukinfuts29 New Member

I can anodize it, but its cheaper, easier, and more durable for me to Duracoat it.

5. t.fowler99

t.fowler99 New Member

I know u can't blue it. I have looked at the aluma hyde. I thank that's what I'm going to do. Thanks for the help.

6. nukinfuts29

nukinfuts29 New Member

Color me confused.

7. droes

droes New Member

I had some aluminum anodized on the Gatling gun I built. I got it black but you can get it in almost any color you want. Here's a picture of what it looks like. It's the U shaped part. Hope this helps!

Attached Files:

8. nukinfuts29

nukinfuts29 New Member

Yea we can do anodizing in a lot of different colors. If you go Duracoat or Hydrographic Dipping it gets almost endless.

9. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Call Billet Tech in West Palm Beach and find out if you can send along an add on project the next time they anodize aluminum.