blueing repair

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by unclebear, Mar 6, 2012.

1. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I just got done repairing the bluing on my 91/30 but while I was at I blued the bolt. just figured I would post a few pics.:D

Attached Files:

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Looks good. What did you use to pull the crappy soviet finish off with??

3. littlejimmy

littlejimmy New Member

Looks good. Did you dip it, or one of the kits with the swabs?

4. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I actually didn't take the finish off, the crown and that area of the barrel the bluing was so worn that it's really wasn't even there. The bolt was just steel like usual you can't see it but where I did a polish job where the bolt meets the receiver just behind the hand I polished that down and had to blue it as well. All I did was took apart the rifle and wiped it down with dish soap mixed with water, wiped that off then I heated the materiel with a heat gun (fancy hair drier) then when it got pretty damn warm I took swabs dipped them in Perma Blue Paste and rubbed it in pretty well, then wiped that off then I put more on there let it sit for a few seconds then I wiped that off then heated and repeat. I like how it turned out I really didn't expect it to be glossy but I might end up redoing the entire rifle.

5. billt

billt New Member

That looks nice. I've used Birchwood Casey liquid blue for touch ups, and it works well. I also tried Oxpho-Blue from Brownells, but I didn't care for the results. It was a very flat, almost black finish. I may touch up the muzzles on my Mosins. I like the way yours turned out.

[​IMG]

6. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

bluing

Nice job. Make you feel good to, huh.

7. lilrichthedragon

lilrichthedragon New Member

did you put the heat gun on low or high