Blued vs. Stainless...

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Dr. Marneaus, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

Alrighty, I finally located my Marlin 1895 Guide Gun that I'll be purchasing at the end of the week or beginning of next week. Great prices too.

However, they had both a blued version and a stainless version. As I'm sure you're aware, there is quite a price difference here, close to 100 bucks (could be 80, I was just looking at the stainless rifle).

So, is it worth it? Stainless is way easier to care for, and in my opinion is a lot more pretty....but is it worth 80 or 100 bucks?

A friend of mine said "it doesnt matter too much for a 'sometimes' gun"

What are your opinions?

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have a blued Guide Gun. No complaints. Most stainless steels are inferior to good carbon steel for making guns. As the dimensions are identical, the blued gun should be stronger.

3. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

While I must confess that stainless is SOMETIMES preferable, the times the average hunter and gun owners actually needs their properties is very seldom. I have always took pride in caring for my posessions, everything from shovels to screwdrivers to guns. I always likened a walnut and blued steel gun to having a cute sexy girlfriend. While others may be more robust and maintianence free, it sure is fun to pamper, take pride in, and show off the cute sexy ones.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I would never buy an ugly gun to save $80! [​IMG]

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Cane I agree with just about everything you say but a blued lever gun is not bad looking nor is it ugly unless it is one of them European knock off crap guns.

Me I would go with Blued. Just because I love a nice deep blue job.

6. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

some of us use the stainless properties quite a bit in our hunting.

7. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Wouldn't stainless matter more if you're shooting in adverse weather? Only asking cos all our club guns are stainless Tikkas...as we shoot no matter what, rain hail or shine.

Apart from the aesthetics...and yeah it does look pretty nice :p

8. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

I hunt hogs in the swamp usually at night, and when we get out of there and back to the truck by the time I get home its usually 1 or 2 sometimes later and dont feel like cleaning the gun. until morning. so I use stainless.

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Tango, FIRST my comment was not that a blued lever gun is ugly. I was keying off Doc's own comment that; ..and in my opinion is a lot more pretty.. he liked the SS.

And I think I speak for everyone here that there is not anything better than a good "blue job". [​IMG]

10. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

SS still rusts. You need to care for both. When a Stainless barrel rusts which is usually below the stock, it is a ***** to stop. Blue. I have blued rifles over 100 years old. They make your heart skip a beat.

11. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

So, pretty much....it doesnt really matter, at all, and its just personal preference.

I'll probably go stainless, as one of you mentioned, go with what you take pride in, and thats what my lady said as well. Get the one that I will be most proud to own and shoot, haha. I guess she makes sense.

Now, I just need to get over my excitement and get back down to the store on thursday to buy it. And then sit and think "why the hell did I just buy a .45-70"

:D:D:D

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

stainless steel is not a rust proof covering nor is it "stainless" thats a marketing term. if you want water resistance and durablility your gonna have to get some sort of coating on that metal. parkerizing is a great choice its rugged and durable as is duracoat. plain old hotbluing can make a gorgeous finish with better protection than stainless.

im not a huge fan of stainless steel weapons as once they start to tarnish which WILL happen unless they are safe queens its almost impossible to make them look good again.

13. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

I don' get it, haha. Some people say stainless is way more durable and offers more corrision protection, and some people say bluing offers more protection.

Weird. Straight up contrasting statements.

14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

It all depends on the grade of stainless steel used. Really good stainless is nearly corrosion free, forever. This may not be the most structurally sound steel though. Gun makers have to strike a balance between cost of material, ease of machining, structural integrity and corrosion resistance. The latter is often the consideration that gets shorted in deference to the other three.

15. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

I use stainless because im kinda tough on guns. The last time I went hog hunting was the first week in january, been planning it for several weeks, and we went. it was raining, water in the ditches and everything. It doesnt make it weather proof, but it helps out.