blued vs stainless barrel

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by ItsmeShane, Oct 18, 2009.

1. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

talked to my dad the other day about this. he said that if you use a rifle with a blued barrel, and you are on top of one hill and a deer or something is on another hill. if sunlight hits the barrel right it will reflect sunlight and the stainless wont do that.

anyone have any input on this?

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

:confused::confused:

Uh bro, S/S is SHINY. It reflects light better than blued steel....

Deer aren't counter snipers bro. There is a good chance they would know you were there LONG before the sun was a factor...

JD

3. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Son, with all due respect to your father, stainless will reflect more and the blue will reflect, also. That's why the make burlap and camo wrap for this exact reason.

And to keep your rifle warm during cold days, of course. :)

Jack

4. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

I dont know, hes been hunting for years. but that doesnt really make sense to me. I would have thought the blued barrel wouldn't reflect anything and the stainless would reflect a lot.

5. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

I dont know though, the gun that im looking at the barrel isnt really shiny at all. it just looks like bare unpolished metal. it isnt the least bit glossy. but i was also looking at another gun with the blued barrel, and it was glossy. so i can somewhat see it reflecting light. im not really concerned with it but im just curious. im just comparing a couple of guns.

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

It all depends.

IF you have an older highly polished barrel that is blued they can be shiny and could very well gleam in direct sunlight. If you have a vapor blasted or bead blasted SS barrel it will have a very dull finish. Most brushed stainless will in fact shine more in direct sunlight over a brushed blued barrel.

7. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

Well, in true Mythbusters style conduct your own test on this befuddling phenomenon and get back to us with the results. Why would a deer care about a reflection on the next hillside anyways?

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Just how many pine trees do you see that glint in sunlight? I have never seen any.....

I am not talking about snow either. I am talking about stuff that is out of the ordinary that is what animals including deer see and key in on if it is not normal they throw up the tail and beat feet to the next county over.

9. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

It's much ado about nothing. Deer key in on movement and smell not how shiny a barrel is or the type of camo one wears. Deer could care less if you have a stainless or blued or pink with purple polka dotted barrel with a disco ball hanging off the end.

10. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

What happens when you move that shinny barrel around to reposition it? That's some very noticeable movement.......to a deer or human. ;)

Jack

11. Jess

Jess New Member

well there are 2 dead on our mile of road that says they didn't notice the VEHICLE coming at them....:D

12. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

Well it doesn't matter if its a "shinny" barrel or subdued barrel the deer is more concerned with movement and not how "shinny" something is. To say all deer will spook because of some "shinny" object is a gross over-generalization. :)

13. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

They were running away from someone's damn shinny barrel movement, and ran plumb into them cars during their escape. :D

Indeed, not all deer, just them 22-24 inch rack and 10 point trophy bucks that are very wery of all movement, shinny or not. ;)

Jack

14. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

Maybe you could help me out with this problem. No matter how long I boil those antlers they never seem to soften up enough to eat. Any suggestions? Should I soak them overnight first like beans?

15. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

16. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

who's to say you can't have a trophy on the wall along with the meat? if you are talking about just eating them, then why wouldn't you go for the big ones?

17. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

Because the big ones are nasty compared to the succulent little veal like bambi's, that's why. :D

18. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

I dont have any trophies yet. I will though. soon.

19. cyendrey

cyendrey New Member

In my opinion I don't think the finish really matters to most game animals. If you look back at older guns and gun catalogs, the only finish available was a relatively high gloss blue - in fact a major selling point on the premium guns was the quality/depth/shine of their bluing jobs (revolver or rifle). I don't think there has been a noticeable increase in kill ratio with advent of matte/blasted finishes.

Like most fishing lures, most of these 'features' have designed more to influence how many hunters get 'bagged' by enticing their purchase than any impact on hunting success.

The newer matte finishes are more user friendly / require less maintenance simply since finger prints don't show up as much. From an operational perspective, SS is more resitant to throat erosion/degredation with the high intensity magnums, so users may see extended barrel life vs the standard steel. However, I doubt anyone not shooting competitively will shoot enough for this to be a factor.

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

i get deer tearing up my back yard from time to time. a few weeks ago i went out back and there was a deer herd of about 15 animals tearing up my back lot. waving a big shiny 3 iron and yelling didnt faze em a bit. took a bb gun and shooting one in the butt with it to get em to move off...