Blue dot not burning all the way. 45 colt loads.

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by PaBushMan, Dec 30, 2019.

1. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Im loading 12.5 gains. 250 grain Lead bullet. Using CCI 300 LP. Im getting un-burned powder flakes. Had this issue with 10mm before using winchester primers. CCI mag primers took care of the issue. And i since loaded 10mm with CCI 300. And it burnt fine. Im concerned with trying the magnum primers for the 45 colt though. Gun im loading for a is an SW 25-5. 8 3/8 inch barrel. So i can't bump it up to much to get more pressure. Tips ideas? Thanks.

2. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Just curious you used mag primers in the 10mm which operates at a much higher pressure than the .45 colt, why are you afraid to try mag primers in the .45?

It appears you are getting an incomplete burn in a load you were comfortable trying so why not a hotter primer? Not a criticism just wondering.

PaBushMan likes this.

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I would think magnum primers should take care of the problem.

But just for curiosity, why Blue Dot in a low pressure cartridge like the .45 Colt?

That load is in the 900-1000 fps range. 9.0 of Unique will burn more efficiently and easily achieve that velocity.

PaBushMan and towboater like this.
  4. PaBushMan

Yes agreed on the unique. I use it for the 45 colt and for target rounds in my 44 mag. I loaded a batch of 10mm, And had blue dot left in the hopper. So i gave the blue dot a try with some 45 colt rounds. And i was worried if mag primers would raise pressure to much in the 45 colt.

5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I doubt that mag primers will cause any problems.:)

PaBushMan likes this.
  6. PaBushMan

Thanks ill give them a try.

7. Warnberg

Warnberg New Member

From Speer manual #10

Magnum Primers

Magnum primers contain a greater amount and/or slightly different explosive mix than is used in standard primers. On ignition, magnum primers give longer burning, hotter flames. Their use is recommended for (1) any ammunition that will be used at or below zero degrees F., (2) with most Ball powders and (3) with slow burning rifle powders like MRP and IMR 4831 in very large cases. Magnum pistol primers often will give more uniform velocities in magnum handgun cartridges loaded with large charges or slow powders like 296, 2400 and H-110. Magnum primers may be used with faster burning or easy-to-ignite powders, but normally there will be no advantage in doing so. As when changing other components, it is advisable to reduce powder charge weights on initial loading with magnum primers.

towboater likes this.