blow up a glock

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by JimDuncan, Oct 24, 2007.

1. JimDuncan

JimDuncan New Member

Has anyone ever heard of accidentally blowing up a Glock using handloads by filling it up too much?

2. Bidah

Bidah New Member

By filling what up too much?

If you are talking about reloading a cartridge with too much of a specific powder, then you can blow up any firearm like that.

-Bidah

3. M500

M500 New Member

Google kB! . Look at glockfaq.com.

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Due to the chamber design you should not shoot reloads in a glock to do so VOIDS any factory warrenty from that point on weather you had the failure with a factory load or a reload.

ir you have on in 45acp it is easy to get a double or triple charge (with some powders) into a 45acp case. my plinking load is 5gr of 700x or titegroup. Now you go and stuff 10gr of either powder in there and boy you might come on with a hand you might not.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/blowups.htm

5. sean

sean New Member

I have put several thousand reloads through my 10mm without a problem. The first thousand through the gun were factory, and a few of those stuck. But it seems to have loosened up a bit. and shoots fine with the reloads.
    YMMV

6. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

Reloads in a Glock is INSANITY !

#1 voids warranty

IF you want to safely shoot reloads, lead or jacketed, for your own protection and SAFETY....change the barrel to an after-market barrel that has been heat treated !

Far too many GLOCKS have been blown up with Factory loads...even more with reloads !

Glocks barrels DO NOT support the rear of the case like SAAMI spec replacement barrels.

PLEASE heed this warning and be safe !:)

7. sean

sean New Member

Any links to info would be appreciated. Thanks.

8. sean

sean New Member

9. haycreek

haycreek New Member

My Glock 31 kabooomed , shooting PMC ammo. I got rid of the G31, but still have a 17 and a 37. Glock chambered for 40 S&W have a bad record. The Glock 40 S&W chamber is not only fully supported , but is 5/1000 OVER sammi specs. However, stick with Fed, Win or Rem factory ammo, and the 40 S&W will likely serve you well.

10. Loco40

Loco40 New Member

Just sharing my actual experience.

I have about 10,000 rounds through my 1st generation Glock 23 and have never had one malfunction or KB. I have not done one thing to it except clean it every couple hundred rounds. This is by far the most reliable Semi Auto that I personally have ever owned. I have fed it all kinds of ammo and even handloaded some light loads with copper plated bullets. I have had Colts, S&W's, Berretta's and many others over the years and I can not say the same for any of them.

PS: The light handloads print the best groups by far.

11. Gun Shooter

Gun Shooter Guest

Glocks and Reloaded Ammo

Would like the latest (2007/2008) information on USING QUALITY RELOADED AMMUNITION IN 3rd Gen Glock Pistols! Only Late Info 2007/2008, PLEASE!!!

12. Bighead

Bighead New Member

Why? The arguments for and against shooting lead bullets & reloaded ammuniation in polygonal-rifled barrels go back well before 2007/2008. There hasn't been some change in technology in 2007/2008 to turn the debate on its head.

Glock doesn't address the issue specifically, because they have a standard "don't shoot reloaded ammunition" disclaimer in their manual. This means you have to educate yourself, sifting through the information to decide what makes sense & what doesn't, so that you can make the decision for yourself. The manufacturer already told you what they think, which is don't do it. The link below is the most even-handed discussion of the topic that I found in my little bit of research.

http://www.glockfaq.com/reloading.htm

13. Recon 173

Recon 173 New Member

I have a Glock 22C that I have had for many years and put thousands of rounds through. I have yet to have a problem with it. My Glock is worse than that stupid engergizer bunny in its reliability which is why I love it so much.

14. allmons

allmons New Member

Agree with Recon 173

Many thousands of rounds througn my various Glocks without the slightest problems. I also have no doubt that you can kaboom ANY gun, from black powder rifles to Glock revolvers. I'd be willing to bet that if you polled every range officer IN THE WORLD, you'll find kabooms in every caliber, every firearm ever made.

There is such a prejudice against Glocks in some quarters, that every problem is magnified on the web, ad nauseum. If you can find me any other type of semi auto pistol that is as reliable and problem-free as my Glocks, I will buy one NOW. I've owned Colts, Smith and Wessons, Dan Wessons, Walther, Ruger, Taurus, Rossi and others I can barely remember. In the end, the only pistols I entrust with my life are Glocks. For true problems, I prefer my rifle, but they don't carry well in my day to day life.

Fact is, follow manufacturer instructions with any mechanical device and you will be much safer.

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Get out your check book allmons! :D

Over 3,000 rounds without ANY Problems....

JD

16. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Well--it wasn't from filling it up too much. Just the oppposite--filling
    it up too little, but I did blow up a Glock. No defect in the gun, just
    a little brain fart on my part.;)

http://img505.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hpim1241sq4.jpg

17. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

+1 on that last post.

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member