Blew Up my GP100

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Mick3411, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Mick3411

Mick3411 New Member

Bought some reloads and shot them yesterday. One must have been double charged. Top flew off, nearly hitting the guy next to me. Gun is a disaster. Glad no one was hurt, but this Wiley Clapp model was just gorgeous and shot great.

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

I used some reloads a friend gave me. Hurt like hell, no damage the gun, a 65-2. It did make oil squeeze out around the side plate.

I learned an important lesson, did you?

I've used other people's reload since then, but only once, just to see if my gun would malfunction (these had to be the most out of spec reloads I'd ever seen. Deep seated, not seated nearly enough, and several that were seated crooked as hell.)

I have a new rule: if it ain't factory, our I didn't load it myself (when/if I ever get into reloading) it ain't going in my gun.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Oh that sucks man. That gun is one the top of my want but can't have list. (Not ma approved)
    Guess It's a good lesson and wall hanger now.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

important lesson. never use someone else's reloads. ESPECIALLY anyone using grandpappy's data cuz by god he loaded em that way for decades and never needed a manual...

glad no one was hurt.

5. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Pictures before and after!?

Glad no one was hurt or killed, never been a fan if reloads.

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Wow!! Ir isn't easy to blow up a GP 100. I'm glad no one was hurt. I'd be PISSED.

7. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Damn,
    Glad no one was hurt.
    Let us ALL learn from this.

8. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

They even ban wheel guns in MA? :eek:

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yes they do. I've had distributors refuse to sell black powder guns to me.

10. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

That sucks. How well do you know the guy who reloaded the ammo?

11. Mick3411

Mick3411 New Member

I did learn my lesson. But these were commercial reloads, not from an individual.

The gun was wonderful, really gorgeous and a pleasure to shoot.

The company claims they will both reimburse me for the gun and buy back the unused rounds.

12. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Glad to not hear you have some missing fingers or worse, Mick.

13. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Who's the manufacturer?

14. Mick3411

Mick3411 New Member

Patriot Ammunition. But I will say their initial reaction has been very professional. I sent photos, witness statements and they have said they will take care of it. While I wont shoot reloads again, at least this company isnt shirking their responsibility.

15. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Might be good to start a separate thread to warn people about What happened and keep them informed about how it is handled.
    Good to hear they "will" be fixing the situation.

16. CTLawman

CTLawman New Member

I had a similar instance last fall with my glock 23c using underwood ammo... Blew the frame open in my hand.... Luckily nobody was hurt. Spoke directly with Kevin underwood and he took care of everything, real great guy.... We found out a batch went out with out of spec ammo (overseated rounds) and I happen to be the unlucky recipient of a box. Long story short is they paid for everything and truly have great service and I shoot underwood 10mm to this day.

17. JW357

JW357 New Member

Wow. Like everyone else, I'm glad no one way hurt.

I'm also glad the company is taking care of you. I imagine they'd be scared of a lawsuit it they didn't. That could easily have killed someone.

Just goes to show ya. Even the almighty GP100, arguably one of the strongest .357s in current production, is not infallible.

18. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 New Member

I have a cenntenial model, I baby it.

19. Cheeseman

Cheeseman New Member

First time hearing of a Ruger grenading! It is indeed lucky no harm to anything but the inanimate fer sure.

20. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

That's the one reason I still use a single stage press. Drop powder for 50 rounds ,look them over double /triple check the weight and powder and then hope you did not push it to far !! Glad you did not get hurt. Now its just a learning experience instead of a doctors visit.