Blasphemy!... Are there too many 1911's?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Mercator, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I am sure not everyone will agree, so let's hear it. EVERYONE and his cousin are making 1911's. Companies that have never been in the 1911 business, like Ruger. The product is virtually identical, the differences are often split-hair or non-existing, and a copy of a copy. I understand the market gets what the market wants. But I have never seen so many different models and makes of the 1911 design collecting dust on the store shelves. Why is that?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Not enough people understand the virtues of this fine piece of machinery.

3. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

That may be true. I should clarify the question - is there an OVERPRODUCTION of 1911's, and too many brands making THE SAME pistol, in peacetime?

4. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

If people are still making money selling them, then there are not too many being produced. That's a pretty simple economics question.

5. indy36

indy36 New Member

I agree. At this point there are tons of companies making them. They run from $300 to over $3,000. Lots of choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Para which has been around a while has been running rebates trying to sell their guns. Prices are really low. Tempting but they are just too heavy. I saw a new Ruger SS Commander for $600 otd at a recent small gun show.

7. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Yes, of course. Question is, how come 50 different gunmakers are needed to make the market happy? Like everyone wants a "special edition" that no other guy has in possession?

But I do think they're going to slow down. Same with the AR's by the way. The difference is the AR is modern, the 1911 is vintage. It's like half-gun, half-souvenir for a lot of people who buy it.

8. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I've got a Colt series 70 and an Ace. Have not even thought about a new 1911. There is not a one I would want on the market today that's under $3,000.00. So, an easy no there too.

9. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

I think this is a contributing factor to Colt's financial troubles/bankruptcy...All the good quality knock off 1911s, and ARs...Also when the tupperware guns really became popular ...they were behind the curve...and they still are.. Only way i can see a gun Mfg going Bankrupt during a time of booming gun sales....?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  10. runningbear

runningbear New Member

There is a high demand for 1911s with varying prices,this is good as it gives people choice. with that said "posted" along with price come quality,but this is not always the rule. There are many 1911s with very good prices that are well made and have good fit and finish's.

Where I see the problem is the many different size and materials used in a lot of the 1911s. Just to many companies chasing after the money with so many models. With many people wishing to carry the 1911 we see many of the smaller shorter bbl. ones. And many buyers of these short bbl. 1911s have a lot of problems.
    John Browning original Design was the 5 inch 1911,and the bbl. locking timing and recoil system for it,along with it Designed to fire .45acp 230gr ball FMJ Ammo.
    Having to change this bbl. locking and timing of the recoil system,brings many complex problems.
    Some Mfg.s of these short bbl. 1911s have good luck many don't.

11. runningbear

runningbear New Member

Last year I traded off two Kimber 1911s with a small amount of cash,for two new Colt 1911 .45s. A Mod.1991 and XSE both plain black all steel.

I feel Colt is back again making quality full sized 1911 .45s. Both mine have great fit and finish's both have had no problems and have shot great with for me good groups. Both have really good triggers with fast reset.
    I have found no signs of wear from poor fitting of slide and frame,or wear on bbl. from poor timing.
    So don't count Colt out just yet, as they still have a great full sized 1911s.

12. runningbear

runningbear New Member

A few years ago I bought the Para CCO LDA 4" .45acp all stainless steel. It is a D/A 1911 with the LDA trigger it's a really super trigger, and the little flapper of a hammer. At first I did not think it would really fire the gun,it fooled me as it has never failed to fire.

Para no longer makes them I think the wart hog has replaced it. Also it was a $900 dollar US handgun back then.

I really like my Para CCO it shoots really good without any problems and I don't regret buying it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  13. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

There are a lot of us that would like to get the whole set!

1911 is fantastically successful. Does it bother you that there are 50 or makers?

I want the whole set... :)

14. BuryTheHatchet

BuryTheHatchet New Member

We could never have enough 1911s. It's such a historic firearm that I think everyone should be issued one on their 21st birthday by their home state and told to carry it for one year. Imagine the reduced crime and prison populations we would have. Big savings from letting people be responsible. Maybe even do it with M1 Garands on their 18th birthday. Sidetrack over.

15. runningbear

runningbear New Member

A real WWI Colt 1911 .45

This my first 1911 bought in 1965 for $40 at a pawn shop,it looked so bad back then I thought it was a reworked WWII Colt.

Attached Files: