Blaser Rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Sniper03, May 17, 2012.

1. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I have a question! Why in the world does the Blaser Rifles bring such an astronomical price? I have never shot one but the accuracy can not be that much better if any better than many other rifles like Savage, Remington, Sako, and Tikka ? Please give me some information and your thoughts as to their price being imported taxes and some other reasons??? :D

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

There are very few rifles in this world that compare to the Blaser. The strait pull design is similar to the M1895 Steyr, but seriously refined. Everything about the rifle is highly refined and super strong.

Many of these are Blasers, or Mausers.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa9j7sDoxJk&feature=related[/ame]

Pure Blasers, How many rifles do you know of that can change calibers in the field??
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=OG6Lih395ak

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Blaser - R8 Super Exclusive - .30-'06 caliber - Price: $35,790.00

That's $10K more than my first house! :eek::eek::eek:

Attached Files:

4. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

They cost a lot more for a lot reasons. They are German and German products generally cost more simply because costs are usually higher (union fees, taxes, and more engineering work). They also use the best possible materials (the wood on them is absolutely gorgeous). I'm guessing they also have very tight tolerance on the alloy's for their steels. Machining tolerance are also probably much tighter than for most companies (German tolerances are always tighter). They are also low volume and have more hand work and less automation. All of that adds up. I'm guessing the markup on them isn't as much as you would think?

Now for the big question, are they worth it? Absolutely if you have a boat load of money to spend on a rifle. For most of us though they are not worth it. At the end of they are just an exceptionally high quality rifle but their not going to function much if any better than rifles that are a fraction of the cost.

Here's something to think about that's sort of related. A good friend of mine that recently passed away and I were having a conversation about wood vs plastic stocks. He remarked that all that maters is the performance of the rifle and so he was going with plastic. This same friend also loved everything Browning. He grew up like many of us when Browning was what almost everybody wanted. Most of us shot what ever we could afford but most of us still wanted a Browning. There was just something about the quality of Browning.

Here's the catch, if all that matters is performance then there was never a reason for any of us to ever want to pay extra for a Browning. There were many other guns that performed as well a Browning, but there was just something special about Browning. Today, now that all that matters is performance, Browning is just another gun on the rack beside a lot of other well performing guns. Similarly most cars are just another another car sitting on the lot. Somewhere along the way products quite being special be it guns, cars, or whatever. I'm not sure what changed?

5. jpattersonnh

With all currencies being worthless and raw materials going up. You will pay more for a true piece of workmanship. Can you buy a Remington, Tikka, even a Browning that you can change from .308, to .243, to 9.3x62 in a couple of minutes? One rifle that can hunt everything on the planet with a quick change. Pretty intriguing. The R93 in a military roll is even better.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SF_-_dismounted_patrol.JPG

6. jpattersonnh

No reply? Come on now. You asked. Would I trade one of my Mauser hunters for one? No. Would I like one? Yes'em.

7. Wildalaska

Wildalaska New Member

I have been to the Blaser factory. Blasers are worth the money *caveat* ....I own one.

There is no mechanical difference between an R8 professional at $3000 and an R8 Imperial at $50,000. There is a cosmetic difference...

Lets talk wood....gorgeous wood is harder and harder to come by, as are checkering and stock finishing skills. The stockmakers at Blaser are true craftsmen, as are the engravers..

At the factory, they showed us a piece of wood that was astounding, Grade 11 plus (look at the Blaser website)...thats over $10,000 as an upgrade. Can you imagine what that blank cost? $3000?

And the cool thing about that stock was while they were machining this enormously expensive blank, their CNC went baddabing and what dis they dsicover? A musket ball buried in the stock that the wood had grown over...chalk up one less expensive blank...

Having sold, handled or shot over 300 Blaser rifles, I can honestly say that nothing shoots like a Blaser. My own personal best is 1.5 inches three shots at 330 meters with a barrel so hot it was miraging worse than the Sahara.....

WildonceyougoblaseryounevergobackAlaska ™

8. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I think we're in agreement. The first part of my post was pretty much what you said, just more long winded. The second part was me rambling on about guns not being special like they use to be. Just to expand on that, I went to what was a higher end gun shop this past weekend. They still have a few higher end guns but their shelves were mostly Rossi, Henry, Mossburg, Marlin, and Savage. All of those guns perform great but they just aren't special like some of the older brands - Browning, Winchester, FN, and even a plain old Remington 700.

Your old Mausers are special. They have character, history, and were really well built. The popular brands now lack all of that, at least to me. They function great, but they just aren't special. I would take a new Marlin, Mossburg, or Savage (Axis) rifle but I really wouldn't care which one because they are all about the same. It's sort of like comparing today's cars to some of the older cars. Today's cars all run great but they look about the same, cost about the same, and none of them really have any character. Unlike today's cars, a '65 GTO had character. There was more machining put into the iron sights on my old Enfield's than goes into an entire bolt action now. It's the little things like those iron sights that add character to a gun and make it special, unlike today's bolt actions which generally don't even have iron sights much less a quality set of iron sights.

I'm having a hard time putting this into words. Somewhere along the way new guns in general quite being special just like cars. At least those Blasers have character, but I still wouldn't take out a second mortgage for one.:)

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  9. jpattersonnh

I was directing it towards Sniper03 actually. Hey, I agree with you 100%, except I would opt for a '67 GTO.
    [​IMG]

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

JP,

I have never seen one or handled one! Sounds like the craftsmanship is the key! Although still seems like a lot of money. I would hate to get a ding on it while hunting! I am looking forward to looking and holding one in the future!
    Buying! That might be another issue! :)