Blade I made yesterday.

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by FullautoUSA, Aug 22, 2012.

1. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

I'm looking for any comments.

Attached Files:

2. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

My only comment would be "Ditch it before the guards search your cell"

3. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

4. MrWray

MrWray New Member

And put it in a common area, above the door on top of the exit sign is a good place :)

Why the shank fullauto?

5. FullautoUSA

I haven't put the handle on yet, I just started making knives, and I'm trying to make my next one, not a shank.

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Oh brother FA, I understand its your first, but toss that one and start with a bigger piece of material to begin with , old 10" circular saw blades work well as does old mower blades . Draw it out on the steel first with a marker and you can even use a hack saw to cut it if thats all you have it will work just fine .
    Get yourself a nice little stationary 1 X 30 belt sander from harbor freight $39 and some metal files and get to grinding away . always use personal protection stuff , eyes, ears, and finger protection ,
    Have fun and stay safe

7. FullautoUSA

I was starting a bigger one that would be an actual knife, then during the middle my saw broke, it was both a PITA and kind of funny.

8. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

there are a few guys around here that make knives as a side business and some I believe as a living so stay tuned in and keep your eyes open .They will be able to help you more than I will but high carbon steel will keep the best long lasting edge . I have made a few that turned out nice to me , I will see if I can find the pics of my favorite. another option might be to buy blanks if you dont have the tooling to cut them well . there usually pretty cheap and you can modify them to how ever you want and build your own handles

9. FullautoUSA

Where do you buy the blanks, I may want to check some out to get me started?

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I laughed so hard I think I pulled something. :D That sir is going to live on for a while me thinks.

JD

11. FullautoUSA

I thought it was pretty good to.

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I rudely did not address the effort for the thread. I apologize fullauto, I have disciplined my keyboard. :eek:

Using such a small piece of steel for your first attempt, I have to say is ambitious. I have never made a "real" knife, just fooling around as a kid, trying to sharpen leaf springs and such.

But I did spend a day at a "blacksmith's" forge watching as he was making stuff for an upcoming Rennie Faire and nothing he worked was small or intricate.

I would take the advice of the noble PureHavoc, he won't steer you wrong.

Good luck and keep us posted!

JD

13. FullautoUSA

Thanks, I may try with a file, or some extra low end blades like tax force, and I may get some blanks.

14. FullautoUSA

15. FullautoUSA

Using this stilleto blade, plan on serrating the top.

Attached Files:

16. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

Yea what they said, use experience, get more tools, start over, do it again and again and again!

17. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

I'm glad you have a sense of humor and rolled with it. Keep up the work and keep us posted on your progress on handmade blades.

I have made several that have served as marking guage blades, wood screw box thread cutters and such, but have never gone through the hardening process yet. I am collecting the parts for my forge. http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodD...pages/PatrickRock_BuildingBlacksmithForge.htm

I have containers for the quenching process, anvil, hammers, tongs.
    Got all the tools for shaping, but alas, it is lost in my 40,000 item todo list.

18. FullautoUSA

Thanks, I may be going to home depot tonight to get some metal and a replacement hack saw blade, I do have a concern with making the handles so I may have to look at some of the knife making threads here on FTF.

19. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

Buy yourself a good Nicholson file to replace your old one.

(Your old one should be a great starting blank).

Yahoo Search/Results http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=making a knife blad from a file&fr=mcsaoff

20. FullautoUSA

Would sheet metal work?