Blackthorne Products?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by danf_fl, Aug 27, 2012.

1. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Has anyone had any dealings with them?

I am looking for opinions. Thanks.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Never heard of them. Not that that means much.

3. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Yes. Don't waste ur money with blackthorne.

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Ditto. Blackthorne, Hesse, Vulcan are all names used by a Tier 10 maker. :eek:

5. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I would consider the three that Quentin named, as unsafe. There's a reason why they are soo cheap......

6. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Ditto on what Quentin said, although I wish he would go back to his old avatar :D

7. billt

billt New Member

I know Blackthorne / Vulcan / Hesse are continually regurgitated as being the "certified junk" of the AR-15 world. But does anyone have links, photographs, or articles written by prominent, knowledgeable people attesting to this "fact"? It's just there is so much condemnation of parts and companies in the AR-15 world, which is almost always based on hearsay, opinion and nothing more, it would be nice to actually hear something concrete, that's backed up with some facts, for a refreshing change once and a while.

9 out of 10 times if a product is that bad, (and I'm not saying these aren't), it is usually quite easy to prove. But as always seems to be the case with these rifles, most everything that is spoken is based on opinion. Usually other peoples opinions. Sometimes it's nice to have a little more. For the record, in the last edition of Shotgun News they had an in depth article of a .308 AR build that was based on a Blackthorne receiver. There were no obligations to the company. I base that on being a Shotgun News subscriber for the last 30 years, and I've never seen an advertisement for either Blackthorne / Vulcan / Hesse.

8. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

I bought a vulcan lower, upper set a few years back in 2005. Caught it on sale for 80 bucks. Assembled the lower, and went to put a milspec mag in, and it made it about an inch, and wouldn't go any further. I tried working it up and down in the mag well, and ended up splitting the receiver in half. I torqued the barrel down on the upper to 25 ft lbs, and cracked the threaded part to the point the barrel wouldn't stay in. I am not saying that somewhere there isn't a Vulcan that works as advertised, but I don't have anything positive out of my personal experience with them. For now, I am staying with well known performers.

9. billt

billt New Member

That doesn't sound too good. You would think the broach would cut the magwell's all the same?

10. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Not sure what the process is on polymer manufacturing. I thought they just had a mold they used.

11. billt

billt New Member

I was assuming it was Aluminum. But still and all if it's molded Polymer they would all mold the exact same, much like a Glock frame. If molded the magwell would be cored out, just like Glock does. Again, it would be the exact same size on every one???

12. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Everything being equal, you would be right. I beleive it all comes down to quality control. For example, if you have someone pulling a sample off the line every, say, 100 receivers, and check it out, it would be simpler to make a correction than wait until one blows up in someones face. I don't know what vulcan or whoever they are now does for QC, all I know is it wasn't up to par on mine. All manufacaturers will have lemons from time to time. The reason I bought the Vulcan receivers was due to the write up from Guns and Ammo magazine. That and the price. What I ended up with was far lower in quality to the one used in the article.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Backward!

Hey I'm just supporting the Anointed One... :D

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Here are a couple pictures of broken Vulcan receivers I found a while back...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've heard from many sources they buy the absolute cheapest parts they can find, surplus, scrapped and rejected. Of course it's possible to get a decent AR from them but why take the chance?

15. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Wow that's just sad. I'd be sooo pissed.

16. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Oh, and Blackthorne does advertise in the Shotgun news. Look in the adversiser index. It may not be in every issue but, but I have seen their ads.

Seen a barrel that a friend received. I was supposed to help him install it on his receiver. There was s roll pin in place of the index pin fo rthe barrel extension. (should be a solid pin) The gas port had what looked like a bit of metal protruding into the barrel (Not entirely unheard of), but upon inpecting further it was where the chrome lining of the barrel was peeling off toward the muzzle. He had the barrel in his possession for a week, and the warranty from the company was only for 72 hours, so he had no recourse.

They make crap and don't back it with a reasonable warranty.

Some folks have gotten parts that worked. I would consider purchasing parts or guns from them to be a gamble.

17. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Yeah, a lot of us were upset at Q's avatar.

18. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SoAf7KqUt4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SoAf7KqUt4[/ame]

youtube review

19. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

My girlfriends fat a$$ has less jiggle. Lol
    That's just pathetic.