Blackhawk

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by blucoondawg, Jul 3, 2011.

1. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I'm thinking of picking up a Ruger Blackhawk convertible in 357 for hunting/plinking, is this a good choice in a revolver? I like that they are American made and I have heard that their frames are plenty heavy to take the higher powered loads.

2. freefall

freefall New Member

3. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

It's a good choice for a revolver, but it's a great choice for a revolver if you want a single action that fires .357 magnum/.38 special. If you were looking for something more reminiscent of a Colt Single Action Army then I would go with a Ruger New Vaquero.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

As long as the 9mm cylinder is used for plinking only and nothing else you should be a happy camper. Accuracy is an issue with the 9 mike mike for several compromised reasons.

The gun is built with a 38/357 barrel designed to shoot the 9.1mm bullet. When you throw a 9×19mm Parabellum, 9.03mm bullet down the same barrel it has more of a jump to make into the rifling and "rattles" down the barrel.

When going 9mm you must shoot jacketed bullets. The 9mm cylinder head spaces on the rim mouth. There is the typical back and forth play that is common in a revolver. Lead will shave a tad on the head space of the cylinder.

As a 357 it will serve you well as a hunter and personal defense piece.

My choice, should I want to go convertible, would be the Blackhawk chambered in 45LC/45Auto.

I have the Blackhawk chambered in 30 carbine. Outstanding gun and wicked accurate.

5. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Ruger Single Actions are great guns. I have two a 45 Colt Vaquero and a 357 Vaquero and looking to get my third in .327 maggie.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Thanks, I'm not really sure that I need the 9mm cylinder anyways, as it is I could shoot 38s in a plain Blackhawk. Maybe I won't even mess with the convertible, I'm not a huge fan of the 9 anyways, that will give me a reason to buy a 40 :D

7. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I have a vaquero and a blackhawk the vaquero is prettier but I like the adjustable sights on the blackhawk.

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I would never give up the versatility of a .357 mag for the worthless .40 S&W!

9. RevDerb

RevDerb New Member

I have one and love it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hated the factory grips.

10. soldierman79

soldierman79 New Member

Oh yea, love my .357! It's given a few hogs a permanent dirt nap ;)

Attached Files:

11. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I didn't say I would not get a 357, I said I would not possibly not get the convertible version as I am not a huge fan of the 9 as it is let alone in a platform where it can't perform as well as it is supposed too. As far as a 40 being worthless, that is a matter of opinion, personally I wouldn't call a shell that is capable of producing energies exceeding that of a 357 but in a much more economical package worthless.

12. jackrich3

jackrich3 Active Member Supporter

3-screw Blackhawk

Just picked up a 1968 .41 magnum. For $350 it is one pretty piece. I've been looking for a .41 mag for quite a while, didn't want to settle for a Taurus and mod 57 S&W were way out of reach.