blackhawk serpa

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by mrfox556, Dec 4, 2013.

1. mrfox556

mrfox556 New Member

Who's got the firsthand experience with them? Does it mount well? Is it floppy? I'm looking to chest mount my pistol.

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have never seen one mounted on someones chest. But I own one for my 1911. I use it for my Citadeland my Ruger. To me it is a top notch product. I use it for IDPA competition. It is rock solid. It does not flop around at all. It is hard plastic. It holds the gun securely until you need it. Then it is out quick...really quick. I would buy more. But I am left handed. The only one they make for any of my guns in left hand is the 1911.

3. 1911love

1911love New Member

I have one for a G19 and a 2 1/2" Judge. They definitely work well. There is a better option now IMO, the Safariland ALS. I have one (hopefully) being delivered tomorrow for my G19.

The problems I see with the Serpa that have been addressed with the ALS are:

1) Your trigger finger releases the weapon and could cause a ND.

2) Grit, dirt, and/or debri could become lodged behind the release paddle, leaving you with a weapon that can't be released from the holster.

3) When trying to release the weapon, it's pretty easy to hit the opposite side of the paddle. This only slows you a second or two, but seconds count in an armed encounter.

4) They are a PITA compared to a ALS to get on and get off. The ALS is available with QLS (Quick Locking System). The QLS can be belt or paddle worn. The holster slides onto it and locks in place. If you need to take off the weapon, the QLS just looks like an empty cell phone holder.

I've used a Serpa for my G19 for about 4 years when the weather is cold. Most months it's too bulky, I'm in Florida. I haven't worn the ALS yet, but when it arrives tomorrow I'll be wearing it. I'll make a post or update here when I've worn it enough to fairly evaluate it against the Serpa.

4. AR10

AR10 New Member

The ALS system looks like a safer system. I have Serpa IIs and realize to be careful presenting. The ALS system uses a thumb release, rather than the Trigger finger.

Your handgun should stay in your holster 99.9% of the time, so the Serpa is safe most always. It is the .01% I worry about with students using a Serpa.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

the first time you need to go prone in a hurry your going to instantly realize just how stupid putting a holster on your chest is. :D

its great for bad tv but highly impractical in rl.

ive got a serpa for my 1911 owb carry. its ok but im not a fan of the locking system. they arent floppy at all.

two issues with it. rare circumstances you can get debris in the lock mechanism and then have to cut the gun out of the holster. second is its easy to get your finger into the trigger guard on the draw if you dont practice A LOT. so under stress or in a big hurry it increases the chances of a nd on draw.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have to agree with JonM. If you need to carry the gun high on your body get a shoulder holster. Even if you don't use the shoulder holster all the time they are nice in the winter.

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

Why would he ever need to go prone? Not exactly something that happens in most people's lives that much.

8. aruiz42

aruiz42 New Member

To answer your question the Blackhawk SERPA holster is not floppy and works great with chest piece. A lot of the guys I deployed with bought them. Never fell off or anything. Good luck!

9. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

It may not happen, but it should. Famous and best advice...."Duck sucker".

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The Serpa is one of the most poorly thought out holsters in history. They have a propensity for spawning ND's. You press in with your trigger finger while drawing. The trigger finger slides effortlessly into the trigger guard the gun clears the holster. The trigger finger then depresses the trigger and BANG, you have a new hole in your leg.

Many shooting schools now band their use. My agency has now banned their use. You can do MUCH better. ALS, Hogue, Fobus, even Uncle Mikes are superior to the Serpa.

JMO

11. 1911love

1911love New Member

I wore my ALS for the first time today. It is WAY better than my Serpa. My draw is also much faster.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

if your in a situation where your wearing a pistol on your chest that prolly means your likely to get shot at. anything that raises yourelevation or has a good chance to fracture your breast bone when hitting the deck is a VERY bad idea...

im in agreement from personally owning one. i do however think they are decent IF and only IF you spend a lot of time training the draw from one to muscle memmory

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  13. AR10

AR10 New Member

Tell us how you really feel!

Frankly, few things in life are called for in dogmatic terms, and I don't see a retention holster system, one of them.

Is it possible some folks have misgivings about Serpa? Is it possible some trainers, do not care to train with them?

Many trainers have back peddled on the Serpa ban. As a trainer, I have never outlawed them in my classes.

I do think any holster, must be trained with to bring about proficiency.

14. AR10

AR10 New Member

I remember Ralph Nader getting Corvair vehicles pulled from the American roads. That piece of work, has never had a drivers license! Funny how the people that never use something, are the most vocal critics.

I owned a Corvair van. Great vehicles. I own and train with Serpa holsters, and I would say, they have kept me safe, and kept my sidearm secure. What more is needed?

15. JW357

JW357 New Member

While I don't disagree about going prone with a gun strapped to your chest, I must say wearing a backup gun on your chest while hunting seems like it would probably work out just fine. That's a situation where you'd be wearing a pistol and probably not going to get shot at.

Also some military personnel prefer it while they're deployed. That doesn't make it right, it just means it happens all the time when there is a greater propensity for going prone randomly without an increase in fractured breast bones as a result.

16. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

We had a long discussion about the Serpa holsters in this thread;
    http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1389231

Here's my thoughts on them:

The safariland ALS concealment holster is worlds better than the serpa for every application that I personally have for this type of holster. Plus it has the option of upgrading it to level III retention. The serpa doesn't.

Here's what mine looks like with the paddle and level III retention options installed. I can take the paddle off and set it up for a regular belt in less than 5 minutes if I need to.

image-4075523673.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  17. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

A lot of guys I served with(aviators) had chest rigs. If it serves your purpose......
    I like Hip, Dropleg, Shoulder rigs and cross draw, esp. for an extra gun. As I have two Ribs perm. floating as well as all my Back, Shoulder & Ankle issues, I doubt I'll be diving to flat prone anytime soon..... I'm having enough issues staying on two feet with the neuropathy and crappy balance as it is....

18. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

I have a pair of these for 1911s, one has the belt slide, the other is screwed to my Civilian LBE that I wear hunting. They hold and secure A Delta, 1991A1, Sig (GSG) 1911-22 and my Browning H.P. I climb tree stands, get on and off tractors and four wheelers and the latch makes me feel warm and fuzzy about my plastic holsters. It's not hard to see crud could jam them up and one has to watch the trigger finger but for a reasonable price range general purpose holster, just don't see the problem. Have a Blade Tech for a G20 with light and yes it's better, also four times the price.