Blackhawk .41 magnum

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by elijah09, Dec 7, 2013.

1. elijah09

elijah09 New Member

So I am new here this is my first post. I have recently acquired a .41 magnum ruger blackhawk. It was in pretty rough shape when I got it. I have cleaned it fairly well and I'm waiting on a better case for it. I have had some problems finding any parts for it. The gun fires and fires well I might add. I was hoping to purchase a few extra cylinders for quick reload. Does anyone have any ideas on where I can find them?

2. JW357

JW357 New Member

Sorry, I don't. But Congrats on the gun and welcome to the forum. If you plan on sticking around please head over to the Introduction area and tell us a bit about yourself.

PS: try calling Ruger. I bet they could sell you some cylinders.

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

You can watch on Ebay for cylinders but the 41 was never very common. I just checked and right now I could not find a 41 (only 45 and 357). Might have to watch Ebay for awhile.
    Ruger will only sell you cylinders if you send them the gun for fitting.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Cylinders are not drop in items. They require factory (or at least gunsmith) fitting to insure proper function.

The Blackhawk is a solid design. The .41 Mag is my favorite caliber. You did well

5. Cheeseman

Cheeseman New Member

Funny, me too LOL!!!!!

Attached Files:

6. woody63m

woody63m New Member

It's nikki's favorite to thanks to you she still wants one hahahahaha

7. robocop10mm

The worst part of getting her a .41 is that you will have to get $400 worth of reloading equipment because you can't find ammo otherwise.

I saw some Federal .41 Mag 210 gr HP ammo in stock recently....$75/50 rds!

8. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Wow! That's nuts! I have seen it as high as $56 for JHP's and $50 for FMJ's... I have less then 550 Rounds for mine, so it hasn't been shot in a little while,...

9. fupuk

fupuk New Member

I found dies online on craigslist a few days ago for $20 for a .41mag, maby I should pick them up just incase.

10. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I would if I were still reloading. Reading what was posted above about the cost ($75 for 50-$1.25 per round) I went and looked in a few sites. Natchess lists the following in their December sale catalog: Federal power shock 210Gr. JHP-$31.49(20)
    Winchester Super-X 175Gr. Silvertip HP-$30.79(20)$57.95(50) Speer Gold Dot 210Gr. HP-$31.99(20) Barnes Vor-TX 180Gr. XPB-$26.99(20)
    Slim selection, but better then none at all. Hornady stopped making the .41 in it's XTP bullet before I could buy some so my only option there is a licensed Reloader. I have about 400 old handloads, another 100 in 41 Spl., and 2-1/2 20 ct boxes of the silvertips...
    I know my range/Shop sells 41 Spl. When I need them...

11. fupuk

fupuk New Member

I don't own a .41mag but i didn't own a .44mag when i found dies on cragslist and i bought those a year before i got my 629. Maybe i will just buy them and hang on to them.

12. CrunchyFrog

CrunchyFrog Member

What parts do you need? Ruger is pretty good about fixing up its guns.

"Quick reload" and single action revolver are not exactly terms that go together.

13. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Sorry to rob your thread but I just found this on armslist, does the price seem right? Or is it way to much.

Attached Files:

14. robocop10mm

The pic is a bit small for my old eyes to see the details. A Model 57 in excellent to pristine condition with 300+ rnds of ammo is probably about right in the current market. ONLY if it is prelock. I would not give $1000 for the same set up post-lock

15. fupuk

fupuk New Member

It says it's been in a safe for 25 plus years, comes with a holster, two sets of grips and a Lee hand loader. I don't know if that helps with knowing if it's a pre lock or not.

16. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

17. arky

arky New Member

If it is a 57 no dash it is pinned and recessed. Would also be pre lock. Great guns but needs box and papers to bring $1,250

18. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

Ummm......about extra cylinders for quick reload. There is a slight problem of carrying and handling loaded cylinders for revovlers. Nothing holds the cartridges in the chambers while it is loose from the gun's frame. And pulling out an empty cylinder is not all that easy trying to reload the revovler.

Remember, if a three screw model, the hammer must be drawn to the half cock position. For a New Model Ruger, just open the loading gate. But you must depress the cylinder base pin latch and pull the base pin forward to clear the cylinder then remove the cylinder from the frame. Then manipulate that loaded cylinder without spilling cartridges all over the ground to insert it into the gun, line up the bore of the cylinder and replace the base pin, then close the loading gate. Not as easy as it sounds. Maybe not fast, but punching out your empty hulls and reloading is not as bad as it seems.

Bob Wright