Blackbeard's RRA Range Report!

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Blackbeard1718, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Blackbeard1718

Blackbeard1718 New Member

Ok, Folks!

I finally got a few pics of my new rig. Here are a few Before & After pics:

Before Pics - Right out of the Case:

[​IMG]

(NOTE: Because of the Pic Limitations, the other 4 Before-Pics, are on the next Post.)

After Pics - Having added my Temp Bi-Pod (I'm ordering a CAA Bi-Pod next month, and using the Caldwell until it arrives...), Redfield Scope, Magpul AFG, and CAA Grip:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I took it out to the Range for the first time today, and WOW..... that is one impressive piece of Hardware to shoot!

I set up my Target at 50yds, did a Bore Sight to narrow down my Scope Sighting, and after a few shots, I was locked in. I was shooting Shoot-N-C Targets, and after each Mag, I'd use the supplied Stickies to set up a New Target, and fill in the old holes. All 100 Rounds of American Eagle 55gr FMJ I fired, were flawless. Not a single FTE/FTL in the bunch. I had 5 PMAG 20-Round Mags, and they are the best Mags I've used in any of my Rifles/Carbines. Absolutely excellent Mags!

I have the RRA 2-Stage Trigger, and that thing is awesome. It's got a crisp and precise feel, and pulls smooth as butter.

I was actually surprised, at how little Recoil there was. I have two 9mm Carbines, and while they have very little Recoil themselves, the AR has even less. It was just an all around Great Rifle to shoot.

I don't know why..... but I REALLY liked the sound it made when fired! A loud and aggressive..... BOOM! The first Round fired, definitely got my attention, right off of the bat.

I was fortunate enough today, that I had the Bay to myself, and was able to go back and forth out to the Target as I pleased.

Just as I got home this afternoon, the Mail-Lady was dropping off my Explorer Digital Rifle Case for my AR. Good timing!

All-In-All, it was a Great Range Day, with a Great Rifle!

Thanks for making a FUNtastic Rifle, RRA! [​IMG]

Cheers!

BB

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. Blackbeard1718

Blackbeard's RRA Range Report Part II - Before Pics Cont.

Here are the rest of the Before Pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers!

BB

3. Kinetics

Kinetics New Member

Nice, your after pic is hot :D Anyways glad you like it, im getting my stripped lower this weekend and starting my own :D

4. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Nice!!! How was the accuracy? Also, how heavy is that rifle? I keep hearing how heavy RRA's are compared to other brands. :cool:

5. Sagetown

Sagetown New Member

Congrats on the new member to your collection.:cool:

6. Blackbeard1718

SD!

Accuracy is incredible! Yes, I have a Scope on it, which is hard to miss a target, however, my POA was always my POI, every time. I was impressed! I haven't shot it with Iron Sights yet, so I can't say how good those are, or if they were already Dialed-In, Out-Of-The-Box.

(Which reminds me, after seeing my After Pic..... I need to lower my Front Sight, when I'm done with this post. I had some Rail Guards on there, with a Snap Lock, but the Recoil of the Rifle jarred them open and loose. I took them off, but forgot to lower the Front Sight. I'll add the Magpuls I bought, sometime before my Range Trip next Thursday.)

The weight is advertised as 8 Lbs. I used to carry around an old Bolt Action Springfield, that was 9 Lbs. After I added my Redfield & Bi-Pod on it, the AR now feels like the Springfield did... around 9 Lbs. I'm not concerned about the weight, as it's a Bench Shooter anyhow.

I did match it up against my M&P 15-22, and while they're the same size and function, the 15-22 is lighter, due to the Polymer Lower. The RRA is definitely all metal. I was just curious if they were about the same size and build.

Now, comparatively..... the RRA weighed the same as a local shops Colt Ar, and CMMG AR, that had the Quad-Rails, and the Iron Sights as well. Same setup as mine was, right out of the Case. I couldn't tell any difference in the three..... except for the weight..... of the PRICE TAG! The Colt was much HEAVIER, in that category! [​IMG]

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the RRA. I look at my Guns, the same way I do my Cars, with regards to Fit & Finish. The RRA, IMHO, was put together better. I'd rate the three as:

CMMG: Good
    Colt: Better
    RRA: Best

Just my opinion, since I tend to look at details a bit more than some folks. I've got a Hi-Point 995TS 9mm Carbine that's built like a Tank, and only cost me about $250 New. It fires just as good if not better, than my Beretta CX4 9mm Carbine, which cost me about $500 more. So, it's not always about how, "GOOD LOOKING", a Gun is, it all boils down to, "CAN IT SHOOT"? So far..... I've picked a group of Winners!

BTW..... I see you fly Cobras! THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE! I was an Airdale too, but on the Navy side, as a Supply-Guy!

Cheers!

BB

7. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Thanks Blackbeard, but you're killing me with the details. I'm waiting for my RRA upper to arrive with anxious anticipation. My setup will be pretty much like yours.

I carried an XM177 Colt CAR-15 with me in my Cobra when I was in Vietnam and it was an incredible little rifle that never failed me. I've avoided wanting to get into the AR scene for a long time, but have recently come down with a serious case of BRD that I just can't seem to kick. My wife is a shooter too and has her own collection of guns, but doesn't quite understand the whole AR thing yet. She will though when she gets to shoot it. Happy shooting :cool:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  8. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

That's a good looking stick there,BB

What,No pics of the targets!!

Once you get used to that NM trigger,you'll like it even more.

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Nice to hear when a new AR turns out right!

Hey, BB, I keep running in to you all over the net! :D

10. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Looks good. How does that angled fore grip feel? I have seen them but wasn't sure just because I couldn't put one on a rifle and test it out.

11. Blackbeard1718

SD!

My wife shoots with me too, and she loves her .22's. She calls the AR, and the other Rifles/Carbines I have, "UGLY GUNS"! She's used to the Traditional Wooden/Polymer Stocks, like the Ruger 10/22's, and her Marlin 795. Here..... for your review..... is the FIRST..... Tactical Rifle..... I ever owned! Kinda reminds me of today's numerous Tactical selections:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCBvu9MX-po[/ame]

THB!

Sorry! Shot 'em all to hell! [​IMG] I'll try and get some the next Range Trip.

Quentin!

I sail to many Ports! If you frequent the following Forums: Jeep, Nissan Frontier, AR, Beretta, Springfield, S&W, Sig, Walther, Bersa, Hi-Point, or Ruger..... you'll probably find me anchored there! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Garadex!

It feels Great! It's got a Natural Ergonomic Grip, and is very comfortable. I rest the palm of my hand on the AFG, and place my fingers on the Side Rails. The AFG allows me to get my hand in a position, where it doesn't force my wrist to bend upwards, to reach the bottom of the Hand Guard.

I usually shoot with Vertical Folding Fore Grips, and wanted to try out the AFG to see if it works as advertised. It does! I may, however, swap out the AFG for the Vertical Fore Grip on my M&P 15-22. The only reason being, is that I want to add the 15-22's CAA Bi-Pod to the AR, and the Bi-Pod's Mount is a bit larger (2 Bolts), so I would need about another inch of Bottom Rail, in order to mount the Bi-Pod. The Fore Grip I'd swap over, has a 5-Position Folding Grip, that I can lock at about the same angle as the AFG. The AFG would thus go to the 15-22, along with the Caldwell Bi-Pod, until I order another CAA Bi-Pod next month.

Here's my 15-22 with said Bi-Pod and Fore Grip:

[​IMG]

Cheers, All!

BB

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  12. Blackbeard1718

SD!

I wanted to do an Add-On for you, with regards to your original question, and my original response.

Something I remembered this afternoon. One of the Owners of the local shop I stopped in last week, had built an AR for his wife. It was a short Barreled (14.5", IIRC...) AR, that was light, even though, it had Iron Sights, and a Quad-Rail. He was smiling, and asked me if I could figure out what made it lighter than the CMMG and Colt in his shop. I checked the Lower, and it was all metal, no Polymer at all. After looking it over for a few minutes, I couldn't figure it out.

He had sent the Barrel out to be "Dimpled". I never heard of this before, but when he showed me the Barrel and pointed it out, I could see the Dimples in it.

This is a Web-Pic, and not his, but you get the idea of the Dimple-vs-Stock, process:

Stock & Dimpled Barrels:

[​IMG]

Assembled:

[​IMG]

The difference in the weight of the two identical Barrels, was 6.8-oz, after Dimpling. He was able to Dimple out enough weight, so that his wife had a good Lighter Shooter.

Just thought I'd pass that along, in case you might want to try it in the future.

Cheers!

BB

13. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Interesting BB, I've seen lightweight barrels with the skinny profile before, but I haven't ever seen the dimpling process before. That has to take a fair amount of time to do even with the right equipment.

I figure I'll just man-up and deal with the weight of my RRA AR. I'd rather have a heavy setup that gives good to excellent accuracy than one that heats-up and begins stringing the rounds all over.

Thanks for sharing! :cool:

14. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations.

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yep! Walther...

16. Blackbeard1718

Thought so! Glad to see you're on here too!

Looking at your Avatar, I gotta few of Off-Topic questions for you.

1. How many Rounds did Barney always keep in his 38?

2. What did he always keep in his Left Shirt Pocket?

3. Was "Mayberry, N.C." a real town?

4. What TV Series did, "The Andy Griffity Show", spin-off from?

Ok..... I'm done! [​IMG]

Cheers!

BB

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Heck I was born and raised in Mayberry! Err, or was that Mount Airy? Oh wait, Mocksville, NC! The last one is true and in the early 60s it was a dead ringer for Mayberry... :p

18. Blackbeard1718

When we lived in Virginia Beach, we used to travel around NC a lot. We visited Mt Airy a few times (Andy's hometown...), stayed at the Mayberry Motor Inn, and watched a couple of movies at their Drive-In (closed now...).

Cheers!

BB