Black Talons

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by 1911love, Nov 7, 2013.

1. 1911love

1911love New Member

I saw some at a LGS for the first time since around 2000 or 2001. IIRC, it's the only product Winchester ever took off the shelves that wasn't defective or had poor sales figures. The owner bought a bunch of stuff in an estate sale and they were included. He was asking $60 or $70 a box. Does anyone know what market value is for 20 round boxes of .45ACP Black Talons?

Remember how dangerous and racist these bullets were? The funny thing is Winchester still sells the same thing(SXT) under a different name and they aren't black anymore.

Attached Files:

2. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 New Member

Color dont matter to me so Ill stick with the Rangers. A whole lot cheaper too.

3. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Market value. What ever some mall ninja type is willing to pay I would guess.

4. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

It is no longer badass or the forbidden fruit, but may be collectible. If you are not into that, for $60 a box punt it.

5. 1911love

1911love New Member

I was thinking the same thing. I might get a box for collecting, but at $60 I might not. It was a MAJOR double take for me when I saw it on the shelf though!

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

$60-70 a box is way overinflated. i have shot them in the past. they were a great round, but not at that price.

7. 1911love

1911love New Member

Have you compared them to the new "Talon"? I never had a chance to shoot the original.

8. Axxe55

actually i haven't. i shot some years ago when they were popular. i now use mainly the Hornady XTP ammo as they give great results and i use the XTP bullets for reloads for practice.

i think they make an equivelant to the Black Talons, minus the color, but i haven't used them.

9. 1911love

1911love New Member

It's funny how the color of the bullet made the Talons racist. I also remember doctors saying they were extra lethal and their surgical gloves would be cut by them. The laughs we had in the late 90's!

10. Axxe55

extra lethal? really? :rolleyes:

now those things were sharp and i could see them cutting a surgical glove for sure. but that's how they were designed.

11. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

One of my LE friends showed me some once. They weren't even his, he took em off a gangbanger. I can't see them being any better then any of the modern rounds. I like the Hornady's and the Federal Hydra Shoks, but I have been shooting a little of as many as I can get my hands on for the Great SD ammo test of 2013-14. Save a few bucks and buy up a few hundred rounds of Fiocchi 9MM 92Gr. MonoBlock or their 124Gr. JHP's. They do just as well if not better then the "Expensive" name brands.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  12. Axxe55

well when they expanded, they looked like a flower. those "petals" were very sharp. i have seen what they looked like when shot into a very thick phone book. they looked like they could lots of damage to muscle, tissue and internal organs with ease.

13. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I hear Winchester Ranger is the renamed Black Talon. Accurate?

14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I'd give $.05/round and not a penny more. They were all hype. Talons have a high failure rate with jacket separation. Anyone stupid enough to buy into the hype is on par with Nancyninny Peolsi

15. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 New Member

Are you getting that mixed up with the 8 petal version that Win put out? I cant recall the letters of them, but I read that seperation is common in those. The black talon and the Ranger (t-series and bonded) are the original 6 petal. I havent seen or heard of the seperation problem with them.
    All Ive shot is the 9mm black talon (147g) and various weights of the t-series, they all open up great in everything that ive shot with them, from blocks of ice to playdough with a pair of jeans in front of it. No seperations so far.

16. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 New Member

Back view of 124g t-series 9mm on a dime after going thru a pair of jeans and into about 16" of playdough. Lost 3.5g of weight.

ForumRunner_20131110_101523.jpg

17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Pretty much. Same reverse taper thickness of the jacket and pre-cuts. Still have the pointed, "talons" that cut tissue instead of just tearing it. Just no black coating. Probably reduces manufacturing cost anyway.

I've shot both the old BT rounds and the Rangers. Good feeding, good accuracy, good expansion in informal tests on wet phone books and even on a coyote.

18. Axxe55

that is the one i heard took the place of the Black Talon IIRC, just minus the black coloring. but i have never shot the Rangers, so i can't comment for a fact they are the same type of bullets.

19. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

I heard part of the problem was customers would go in and ask for the Winchester "Black Felon ammo"...Wonder if there was any truth to that?:p

20. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

+1

Black Talons are collectibles these days. If you want them for a cartridge collection, grab some. However, as SD ammo, they offer nothing you can't get elsewhere, for less money. My carry ammo is Ranger T.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Talon

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013