Black Powder SW ohio

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by beaglesam, Sep 27, 2010.

1. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

I'm looking places to shoot black powder in SW Ohio. (Dayton) I'm also looking for a place to purchase black powder, Lodi, Ohio is the closest I've found. (near Cleveland) Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Surely there are some State run outdoor ranges closer than that. Have you been to the DNR site? They have lists of the State run ranges. I believe most if not all of them are outdoors.

Other than that, look into some private gun/hunt clubs. For not much money these can be joined and used for bp.

3. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

I didn't make myself very clear. It's the black powder I can't find. I have found places to shoot but was looking for others.

4. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

Ordering it may save you some time and gas money if you can't find anything real close. Powder Inc. is a good one to buy from.

5. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Just about every Sporting Goods store sells black powder. I have bought from Dick's, Gander Mountain, Dunham, WalMart and a couple of independent ones. I use the Pyrodex pellets in my bp guns. Loose powder can be found most places, but I bought a tub from Cabela's a couple of years ago. Ask for Pyrodex or Triple-7 that way you won't get smokless powder by mistake.

All of the outdoor ranges I know of may have some to sell as well. The State run oudoor ranges allow bp, and might even know of some place close that sells the stuff. I find it hard to believe that the only place you found was in Lodi. Black powder is very popular in Ohio for hunting and there are several black powder shooting clubs around.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  6. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

I don't consider pyrodex to be black powder. It's a substitute. I'm looking for real 2F black powder. None of the places mentioned sell black powder in Ohio.

7. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Ahh, I see. Ordering it may be the way to go then. Or, you can just make your own.

8. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

I saw a video on that, if I can find it I'll post it. But, it wasn't pretty.

9. Catfish

Catfish Member

I beleive that the Miami Vally Long Rifles still has some shoots, in the Sidney area. There is also a culb in Wapaka that still has shoots also. There are several ranges that you can shoot BP at if your just looking to shoot.

10. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

It is very dirty work. I know a guy who makes his own, but he won't use it in his guns. He just likes to make designs on the ground and burn them. He is not all there either. I hope you find what you are looking for.

11. janeitzel

janeitzel New Member

I too live in SW Ohio and am also having trouble finding black powder for my .45 flintlock. Look under dayton black powder gun clubs Ohio, on the web. They list a contact and phone number. I have not tried him yet. A gun shop owner told me there is a black powder shop between centerville and Xenia. 937 376 2673. Hope that's the correct number. Called something? Trading co. Good luck.

12. janeitzel

janeitzel New Member

Sorry didn't realize this thread was this old