black powder supplies

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by twitch, Mar 1, 2013.

1. twitch

twitch New Member

i just got back into this stuff after years and i went to gander mountain and they didnt have hardly anything,is there agood place online

2. gunney67

gunney67 New Member

There are a lot of online marketers of black powder supplies. do a google search for several that have the best prices. Just remember that there is a hefty haz-mat fee for powder and primers added to the cost before shipping. It's the same fee for 1# or 20# of powder, so order as much as you can store safely, along with a good supply of caps. I would look around locally first, if you have a cabela's close. Or call some gun shops. Many don't stock black powder anymore becuz of the restrictions, but do stock BP substitutes. Triple777 is pretty good. cleans up with water, too. Not as corrosive as BP, but still needs to be cleaned up after shooting. A lot of good guns have been ruined by guys that neglected their guns after shooting. BP residue can rust a gun in a day or two. It is hydrophilic, meaning it pulls moisture out of the air. But you probably already knew that. If you only want black powder, you'll probably have to suck up the haz-mat fee and order it. Some clubs store their black powder in magazines at their ranges, but you will never get them to sell it to a non-member. Joining may be a fun option. Good luck.

3. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Powder Inc. is the best place online to buy powder with a five pound minimum. The hazmat is figured into the price.

Track of the Wolf and The Possibles Shop are two other places to buy other supplies.

4. GSpears471

GSpears471 New Member

THe last time I bought 777 was at Gander Mountain in Batavia,IL. Not sure where you are located. Do you or anyone you know have a recipe for homemade blackpowder lube?

5. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Wall-Mart.................

6. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

7. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Beeswax and Crisco. Pure olive oil is a good patch lube.

8. thdrduck

thdrduck Member

Moose milk, a 50/50 mix of water soluble machinist oil and water. Great patch lube and also for swabbing out the barrel. Like Hawg said, beeswax and Crisco for a bullet lube. Mutton tallow works good also but is hard to find and expensive. I also like TC Bore Butter.

9. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Olive oil is a good patch lube. Bore Butter is good but it gets too runny in summer heat for an overball lube as does plain Crisco.

10. twitch

twitch New Member

Revolver patch

Should i be putting a patch behind the ball in my 44,i never did before.

11. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

This avoids a chainfire. A chainfire is when you fire the the chamber behind the barrel and the flame jumps to the next chamber and fires it, and the next, and the next, etc. :eek:

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

dont use crisco in a firearm. its all just vegetable oil which will gunm up your firearm with nearly unremovable residue. crisco used to be beef lard now its a corn based solid.

look for a block of real lard if your going that route just dont use crisco

13. thdrduck

thdrduck Member

I just put lube over the top of the ball to seal the front, never had an issue. It is messy though, if you wear glasses and shoot into the wind...

14. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Although its not necessary to use a patch before the ball. It will help soften the fouling, and keep your barrel cleaner.
    I mostly use lube pills.
    copy & paste this link.
    gunslingersgulch.com/index.php?topic=842.0

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  15. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

No, but a Wonder Wad is advised if not a ring of Butter Flavored Crisco around the inside where the bullet meets the cylinder.

Why do I use Butter Flavored? You can use it as the excuse when you lick things at the range, and when you shoot the place smells like popcorn! Well, OK, maybe not Butter Flavored if any Crisco at all...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013