Black powder pistol to CA

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by EMTchad, Nov 21, 2011.

1. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

My uncle wants to mail out my passed grandpa's black powder pistol for my dad as a momento from MICHIGAN to CALIFORNIA. I am heard that CA does not consider a BP gun to be a nonfirearm. And can be shipped directly to me by mail without FFL. can anybody knowledgable let me know straight to the point please!!

2. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

* heard CA does not consider BP gun to be a firearm.*

3. nastyogre

nastyogre New Member

You shouldn't have any problem doing it that way. Ca treats them like bb guns. I bought a black powder revolver here and they can hand them to you with no waiting period. :)

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

Wait, you can own a BB gun in Cali? Amazing:rolleyes:

5. nastyogre

nastyogre New Member

Yea but it can only have a ten round mag, otherwise you'd be able to take over an army of squirrels to do your bidding. :)

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Several years ago I was getting a Roy Rogers edition lever BB gun for my son for Christmas from Sportsman's Guide and they wouldn't ship it to CA! I ended up having it shipped to my sister out of state and had my parents smuggle it into CA. Had to do the same thing a couple of years later for my younger son.

Last summer my wife had the boys at a Big 5 sporting goods store and the boys wanted to look at some rifle and the manager refused to hand the rifle to my wife so she could hand it to our son so he could look at it. He said it was prohibited by CA law! (it is not prohibited in any way). Prior to that incident I had the same guy refuse to "hear" my son tell him which .22 ammo he wanted, I had to repeat what my son said. He then handed the ammo to me, followed us to the register, removed the cashier that was there so that he handled the transaction and refused to accept payment from my son's hands. My son had to take the money out of his pocket, count it out, try to hand it to the manager and he refused to take it saying "I cannot accept payment from a minor." so my son handed the money to me and I handed it to the manager.

Needless to say after the incident with the rifle I called in to the company and complained. I never heard back as to what was done but we no longer shop at Big 5.

7. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Soooo............. It IS okay? Or........lol we kind of got off topic..

8. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

HA HA! Yes I did, didn't I?

Yes, it is legal to send it directly. Any black powder is not considered a firearm and you do not need to go through an FFL. If it were me I would transport it personally somehow though.

My above experiences were just meant to illustrate how differently the laws in CA are interpreted by different people (or companies).

9. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Hahah thanks vikingdad. I was joking too when I wrote it like that earlier lol! Just thoughtit would be funny hahahaha.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

Sounds like it is. I think the fed law doesn't recognize BP as a modern fire arm. I'm still wondering if the ten round capacity on the VB gun was a joke out not though.

Here's one for you, in my state I have to have a CCW permit to carry openly. But with BP I don't, as it's not considered a weapon at all under state law (as I understand it) except in regards to hunting. How many were killed with BP during the revolution and civil wars? And as you can see, I'm only counting 2 wars, there were many more all around the world that I ignored in that one question.

11. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Good stuff. I relieved at this fact. Also the whole glock being bought out is just a rumor. I saw ur comment elsewhere.

12. nastyogre

nastyogre New Member

Yep, just joking. Don't give the gun control freaks any ideas though. :)

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yeah, unfortunately I think it was a rumor I started. Inadvertently of course.

14. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

I helped you correct it on the forums hehe

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

Thanks for that. That whole fiasco just about caused a panic.

16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

FWIW, so that we are all talking about the same thing- a firearm that uses loose powder and loose ball, such as caplock, flintlock, or even a matchlock is an ANTIQUE under Fed law, even if made yesterday. However, there ARE cartridge guns intended for black powder that may not be.

So long as you mean a ball and cap revolver, you're fine- both for shipping to CA, and for mailing.

You can find this is Title 18 US Code, section 922, and in chapter 14 (Restricted Mailings) of the USPS Domestic Mail Manual.