Firearms Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

Ive been playing with the purchase of a muzzleloader for a while. Main reason I haven’t pulled the trigger yet is, our season is only a couple weeks long and I’ve been fortunate enough to use a buddies off and on. Starting to feel like I should just have my own though. This is where I’m asking the crowd. I know this is going to be a Chevy/Ford, Mathews/Hoyt thread. My buddy has a Thompson pro hunter fx. Being that’s all I’ve ever used, that’s what I’ve been looking for. New, they are getting increasingly tough to find. Have considered the encore in the past, but the not knowing anything about them, I get lost when I try to build one. Also not sure which way is more cost effective. A different friend mentioned CVA’s. I’ve not thought highly of them, but the little I’ve looked into them they seem to get good feedback. Interested to hear from the knowledgeable to help point me in a solid direction.

·
Premium Member
4,615 Posts
I would recomment a T/C Hawken. I have a .50 and .54 for decades. Try to find a kit if they still make them, something like this.

·
Premium Member
6,782 Posts
I would recomment a T/C Hawken. I have a .50 and .54 for decades. Try to find a kit if they still make them, something like this.
I went to the TC website. Only found 3 BP rifles. One is not even being made now it seems. More bolt and semi auto guns than any thing else. Appears new owners are perhaps going more to modern guns now.

Still have my Hawken also. But, they are long gone now.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The great thing about traditional muzzel loading arms is you can order a rifle from Dixie Gun Works and the Mail Person will bring it to your front door ! No FFL dealers or fee's or waiting periods ... or at least that's how it works in Louisiana .
So you have the Muzzel Loading world open to you . I'm a traditionalist and don't care for the modern in-lines ... they don't have any heart or soul . My only rifle was a kit from Dixie Gun Works , bought in the times B. C. (before computers) ... it was a Traditions St. Louis Hawken . I mail ordered it out of their big catalog and it arrived ... I assembled and finished it with love and care and still have it .
Traditions is still in business ... as good as any and better than most, as is Dixie Gun Works ... a good place to shop and see different rifles . check them out www.dixiegunworks.com
Gary

·
Registered
196 Posts
It depends on what you want out of the rifle. If you want nostalgia, then the above posters have you covered. They probably shoot actual black powder out of those old guns instead of a substitute like Pyrodex, 777, Jim Shockey's Gold, etc. There is nothing wrong with that approach. I have toyed with going back to that type of muzzleloading myself. But if all you are really wanting is your own gun to use during muzzleloading season in order to expand your deer season, there is nothing wrong with an inline either. If that's the case, here is what I would recommend. Regardless of brand, for ease of cleaning get a break action gun with removable breech plug. I would also use the 209 primers for extra reliability. Some rifles may only come with one breech plug that takes 209 primers but I believe there are some that may have 2 breech plugs with one 209 and one no. 11 cap. Having either option is good if one or the other becomes difficult to find (as 209 primers are now). I would shoot Hodgdon 777 loose powder. You will need a powder measure. The reason is that when working up a load, loose powder allows you to go up and down in 5 grain increments to find the most accurate load whereas pellets do not allow that degree of flexibility. 777, in my experience, is less corrosive, fouls the least, and is the easiest to clean of any of the blackpowder substitutes I have tried. CVA Wolf or CVA Optima are perfectly good deer hunting rifles as are really any of the modern break action inline rifles. It just comes down to your personal preference and what you want out of your deer hunting experience.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
I've been muzzleloading well over 50 years. It is my favorite type of hunting. There's no wrong way to get into it other than trying to "Go Cheap". Just like any type of firearm, junk is junk and over those decades, I've seen some pretty sad offerings come and (thankfully) disappear. My caveat is to really investigate all options - try to actually shoot some before you dump a bunch of cash and choose what you, personally, will enjoy owning.

Used muzzleloaders often seem like a sweet deal, but if a person doesn't know the problems to look for, it's easy to end up with a clunker. Neat guns can have been neglected to the point bores are ruined even tho' the rest looks great. Likewise, unless replacement parts are available, even quite expensive muzzleloaders can be useless unless you have a spot above the mantle needing a conversation piece. Go to the Dixie Gunworks Website and spend $5.00 for their catalog - 592 pages of great information, current prices, and honest folks.

This forum and two others - Modern Muzzleloading and The Muzzleoading Forum are ones I enjoy, but there are others.
Welcome to a hunting method that puts "sporting" back into hunting and let us know how your quest is going.

"ki

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Pardon me but, what the hell is going on with T/C? Are they not making or selling muzzleloaders anymore? I’ve been looking for a fair amount of time and can’t find a new one anywhere that isn’t $1000. No pro hunters, no encores. By default I might just have to go get me a CVA. Maybe the Accura MR-X? Seems like a nice gun, comparable I would say on paper to the T/C pro hunter.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Jump in and get your feet wet.
The thing still great about this nation is your not married to the dang thing.
In a gun registery nation thatd be 3 miles and 19 mos of bearucratic red tape.
If it dont suit your tastes, $$$ell it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gun came in today. I took it out of the box long enough to put it together. Feels good assembled. Overall first impression out of the box, GOOD. Track down some powder and go see how she shoots here some day. Looks like it should even match Sitka EV2 fairly well. One thing seemed strange, I thought everything I read said it came with 2 breach plugs. Only one I saw was in the gun.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Tool Automotive wheel system

1 - 14 of 14 Posts