Black powder derringer questions

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by donthav1, Jun 15, 2011.

1. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

hey all, i'm new to black powder & i have a CMC black powder derringer that used to be my dad's. I'm sure some of you guys are familiar with it, it's a brass framed double barrelled, double hammered kit gun that i appears to be a .36 cal

my question i guess is, what type of caps or primers do i use, & how many grains of powder do i load it with?

i don't plan to shoot it much & am definatly gonna go on the low side with the powder charges. since the local gun shops don't seem to carry .36 balls, when i do shoot it i might just for sh*ts & giggles load a few bb's & use it as a weak poor mans shotgun.

or should i just make it a wall hanger?

2. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Wall hanger or paperweight. If you just have to shoot it it's a smooth bore and takes .350 balls. About 12 grains of powder and #10 caps. It might penetrate a cardboard refrigerator box from 10 feet. If you can hit it.

3. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

if & when i do shoot it, it will more or less be a "wow look at the smoke, ok let's put it away" kinda thing, make it go bang once or twice & call it a day. so it is good that i now know it's limitations & how to go about safely.

but it will more than likely serve the same purpose it has for the last 30+ years.....a fancy lookin shiny paperweight.

thanks for the reply

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

IF you DO shoot it, clean up involves Dawn dish detergent, HOT water- or it won't be shiny. :eek:

5. gfmac1245

gfmac1245 New Member

how many grains of black powder do I use for 36 cal cmc derringer?

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum! Drop by the intro thread and say hello when you get a chance.

The old general rule of thumb- half the caliber in grains of BLACK powder for a pistol. 12-16 grains of fffG is adequate for a .36- be SURE that the ball is snugly against the powder charge with no air space. NEVER use smokeless powder. You CAN use a black powder substitute such as Pyrodex- charge then is by volume, not the actual weight.