Black Hole Weaponry

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by string1946, Dec 1, 2013.

1. string1946

string1946 New Member

Does any have any input on Black Hole Weaponry barrels. I'm thinking about ordering one of their 20 inch heavy barrels in 264 LBC-AR with the polygon rifling instead of 6.5 Grendel. They list them at around $360 with a 10 to 12 week lead time.

2. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I read of lots of guys really like them on other ar forums. Did you check at surplusammo for a barrel. They seems to stock many of them. Even giving a stripped aero precision upper receiver with some.

3. string1946

string1946 New Member

Yeah I did check surplusammo but couldn't find the barrel I wanted. I may source some other parts there. Thanks.

4. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

5. string1946

string1946 New Member

Thanks. I do like the idea that the bolt comes with it and I assume the head space has been checked. I'll keep them in mind.

6. string1946

string1946 New Member

Ok I have put together several lowers but never tried to build an upper but thats about to change. Its going to take me a while to collect all the parts I need because of other projects I have going on but at least I got started. I already had a lower and parts kit. I also have a M4 collapsible stock but don't think I'll use it on this build. If I don't change my mind I'll be using a Magpul CRT with added raised cheek rest. Today I ordered a 264 LBC-AR 20" SS barrel in black with target crown from Black Hole Weaponry which says has a 10 to 12 week lead time thought they have already sucked the money out of my account. I also ordered a 264 LBC-AR type 2 bolt from Tactical Ammunition. I bought a upper receiver vice clamp and a AR combination wrench off ebay so thats on the way. I'll wait to buy the other stuff till I get the barrel and bolt unless I run up on some good deals. I'll keep a check on the deals, deals deals post on here and other wise I'll use my dealer discount at Brownells for the rest. Wish me luck. If anyone has spare parts to donate to the project let me know. lol. :D

7. Kwaynebb

Kwaynebb New Member

8. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

Valid question not stupid - Stainless Steel

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  9. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

You got it. Thanks

10. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Active Member

Hopefully you got a decent wrench, the cheapies can break pins or teeth on barrel nut if heavy torque is required. I just built a .300 blackout using a Rainier barrel (black hole weaponry) and it is a tight shooter, the barrel also is dimpled for the gasblock screw and mine lined up perfect. Good luck in your project, once the nut is torqued the rest is a pice of cake.

11. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member Supporter

Torque wrench is the key to building an upper. You can get a cheap one at harbor freight. Also some auto parts stores loan tools like this. Something to think about if your only going to need it once. Make sure it fits your barrel nut wrench, some are 1/2", some are 3/8". Mine has both size square holes. ;)

PS if you are going free float handguard make sure that nut fits your wrench, and they both connect to the torque wrench. A lot of free floats need a special (+$) wrench....

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  12. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

I am happy with my BlackHoleWeaponry 7", the build when well.
    The Surplus Ammo And Arms Bolt headspaced properly.
    I think the money spent on the AR wrench is well spent. BRD may hit. Friends may want to borrow/trade.

I used my woodworking vise, Philippine Mahogany faced, without any special AR-15 blocks, clamps, vise or such. Torquing the barrel nut went well. I used the DPMS wrench and one of my existing torque wrenches.

The vice has a big surface area and provides plenty of support.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  13. string1946

string1946 New Member

Ok I received my BHW barrel yesterday and thought I finally had everything I needed to finish my 264 LBC rifle but noooooooo. When I ordered the barrel back on 12/3/13 I was told I needed a type 2 bolt which I ordered from Tactical Ammunition. When I got the barrel it's marked type 1 so I got on the BHW forum and contacted one of their Pro Staff and was told they had gone to type 1 chambers several months ago. GREAT! I was advised to contact T.W. and ask to exchange the bolt. I did yerserday and am waiting for a reply. The guy said if I had a problem PM him and he would take care of it. I think the 2 companies are connected as they are located only a few house #'s apart. We'll see.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Attached Files: