Black bullets

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Cadoll, May 29, 2011.

1. Cadoll

Cadoll New Member

I could not find a lot of input on the moly coated bullets. Can someone give me a thought as to how they eould perform out of a 3" kimber for just range plinking? Where is best place to buy in bulk? What would be a good recipe for a medium load?

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I shoot a bunch of moly coated bullets out of my rifles,but have never tried them out of a pistol.I really don't see the need given the short range a pistol is fired.
    The moly coated bullets shoot much slower than a copper coated bullet using the same powder charge.I see up to 200 fps difference in some loads.

3. Cadoll

Cadoll New Member

My main reason for moly coat was the price concern over copper jacket.

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Moly just one more thing to foul the bore. Copper has been working for plenty of time so I stick to that.

Tried moly bullets once in my 308 took 5 hours of cleaning to get all that crap out of the barrel. Never again will I do that.

5. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

I was given a bunch of moly coated Nosler Partitions recently by a friend at the range in an exchange for some bullets I gave him. I just turned around in a few days and gave them to another friend. I agree with tango none of those will go through my rifles, the uncoated coppers do just fine.

6. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

am i missing something here? i thought that moly coated bullets were still copper jacketed bullets just lightly coated with molybednum disulphide.

it suppose to reduce barrel wear.

7. MidnightExpress

MidnightExpress New Member

barrel wear and barrel fouling are two different things. a lot of complaints on
    the moly bullets are that they gum up the lands and grooves and need much
    more frequent cleaning compared to those with uncoated copper and/or brass
    jackets

8. noylj

noylj Member

Moly bullets are NOT all the same.

First, there are rifle bullets that are tumbled in MoS2 powder. These are NOT the same as handgun moly bullets and should NOT be considered as even being comparable.
    Precision Bullet, Black Bullet International, and Bayou Bullets use a Moly-Kote polymer/MoS2 mixture to coat the bullet. This is like a soft "jacket." It lubricates the barrel and prevents lead exposure at indoor ranges.
    These bullets are great. The only complaint I have is that the prices are getting up there near jacketed bullet levels.
    Billy Bullets also uses a moly coating, but it is a very thin paint-like coating that is easily damaged. It does work, if you load carefully.
    Everything rifle shooters know about moly bullets has NO bearing on the pistol bullets from the above sources. If you are burnishing you lead or jacketed handgun bullets with powdered MoS2, then you are in the same area as the rifle guys.

9. Cadoll

Cadoll New Member

Still not hearing a concensus

Seems that rifle shooters and handgun users are not on the same page when it comes to moly coat. My gun has a 3" barrel which seems to me would not have the same fouling effect as it would when travelling down the length of a long bore rifle. I'd like to hear from handgun reloaders who have a similar barrel length and some testing with the moly coat. I am not especially interested in hearing oponions that dont pertain to this specific issue.

10. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

You are correct. Moly in theory will produce faster MV and consistancy over Copper. It was also suposed to extend barrel life as it would need less powder to get the same MV as copper. The concept is moly fills in all the imperfections in your bore and is so slick the bullet has less resistance. The only rifle I have that shoots moly coated bullets better is my K31. I bought 400 Combined Tech 165gr sp that were moly coated. My K31 loves them. At $9.00/100 they were worth a try.

11. jpattersonnh

Sunshine! I have shot berry bullets, a copper coated bullet similar to your moly question. I shoot cast lead for target. The coating was not worth the cost. 700 rounds a day w/ a good cast lead bullet may start to have issues, but seriously?
    3" barrel? Your gonna get more powder fouling then anything else.

12. Cadoll

Cadoll New Member

Maybe i'm missing something, so you are saying moly coat bullets are fine out of my kimber?? I love to shoot and dont want to sPend more than i have to. The cost savings is quite substantial. I dont own much!
    Thanks for your input.

13. noylj

noylj Member

Cadoll

Did you read my post?
    Moly-Kote bullets are GREAT in handguns (and probably in rifles as cast bullets).
    The rifle shooters have had a "problem" with powdered MoS2 burnishing in their barrels and possibly allowing moisture between the moly and the barrel steel.
    This is NOT an issue with Moly-Koted bullets.
    As I said, though, the price (like swaged-lead and copper-plated bullets) are getting up to the same level as jacketed bullets. For me, at this time in the market, I only buy cast lead bullets (from MasterCast of Carbondale, Ill, or Missouri Bullets) or real jacketed bullets from Zero or Montana Gold.
    Precision "Black Bullets" are swaged with a fairly hard alloy and are extremely accurate. However, as I said, they are pricing themselves out of the market for me.

14. jpattersonnh

They would be fine, but why spend more? Just shoot hard cast lead. I use 9mm, 10mm, and .45 cast lead. All in autos. 158gr semi wad cutters in .357. 205gr in .44-40. I usually pay 29.00 + shipping for 500 lubed bullets. In rifles I use 6.5, 8mm, and 9.3 in cast lead. What is the advantage of moly in a 3" barrel?

15. Cadoll

Cadoll New Member

Cast lead

Thanks for clearing things up for me. Can i ask where you buy your lead?
    Thanks again

16. jpattersonnh

I always keep an eye on Midway USA. Some Laser cast, I also use a guy in Wisconsin for .44-40 and 9.3. He is really resonable. The Best bullets are from Beartooth bullets. Marshall is not cheap. I'll send you a PM w/ info this week.

17. noylj

noylj Member

Let's talk about bullets...

Let's look at 9mm bullets.
    First, there are cast bullets.
    Penn Bullets (excellent) cost $65-70/1000. MasterCast of Carbondale, Ill, are also excellent at the 125gn L-TCN bullets are running about $50/1000.
    Meister Bullets 122gn L-TCN run about $94/1000. Finally, Oregon Trail (Laser Cast) bullets are running $103.50/1000.
    Then, there are the Moly-Kote bullets: Precision Bullets 125gn L-FP runs $70/1000 and Black Bullets International 130gn L-TC costs $70/100.
    Next, there are Cu-plated bullets. Berry's 124gn FP costs $87/1000.
    Finally, there are jacketed bullets. Montana Gold 124gn JHP are available for $303/3750 (equivalent to $80.80/1000). Zero bullets 125gn FPFMJ are $81/1000 and their 125gn JHP costs $84/1000.
    Based on this, I would either buy cast lead from MasterCast or I would buy real jacketed bullets and have the best.

18. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Whats with all the cost stuff? He is asking if they would perform any better in his gun over regular bullets.

19. mmszbi

mmszbi New Member

I have loaded and shot a ton of moly coated bullets through my Kimber with no ill effects whatsoever from BlackBullets Intl. The only thing I have notices is if I have shot jacketed bullets beforehand to clean the barrel well before shooting the moly, as copper fouling if any will tend to accumulate some of the moly...no big deal.
    When loading the moly bullets, its important to use the same care when crimping that you would with a plated bullet, to tight of a crimp will damage the coating.
    A great source for an exceptional quality cast bullet is GrandMasterBullets.com out of Canon City, CO. Jeff Goody is a veteran, going to school full time for a Masters and still runs an excellent business on the side. His customer service is outstanding and so is the quality and price of his bullets.