Black Bear vs Guy in a Tree Stand

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Daoust_Nat, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

The guy shooting this video is deer hunting from his tree stand,
    when an adult-aged black bear mosey's into the clearing directly below his tree. What the bear does when it looks up the tree and sees the hunter
    may surprise you. I personally think its an "oh crap!" moment, but this guy has got to be one cool customer ... either that, or he had a video camera in one hand and a .44 magnum in the other!

The moral of this story must be ... "if confronted by an adult-aged black bear, just be calm and act cool ... then merely ask the bear a question."

Ya got'ta turn your audio up so you can hear this,Ya just won't believe it
    unless you hear it for yourself ! ! .

http://www.wimp.com/curiousbear/

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  2. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

That was too funny, but I would have been a little more vocal! He was halfway up the ladder :eek:

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

OMG! I think I would have shot that bear if it hadn't taken off when it did. I would not wait for it to start mauling me! I am pretty sure that would have been justified. And he had it on camera to back up the story.

4. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Bears can climb ladders??!?!? :eek: Im so glad theres no bears where I live.....

Now I understand 'Gello..... The Bear menace needs to be eradicated!!! KILL 'EM ALL!! :eek:

5. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

The bear was so cute ..
    I am glad it neither the bear nor the hunter got hurt. :)

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I believe that was shot w the video glasses and not a camera. Something like these

HUNTERS_SPECIALTIES_I-KAM_XTREME_VIDEO_HUNTING_GLASSES_M.jpg

7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

8. AR10

AR10 New Member

The hunter was pretty calm, might have been his weapon that gave him the confidence.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

I would have helped him dig the hole or skin it out. :( Opportunity wasted!

10. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

That bear certainly was not missing any meals!

11. orangello

orangello New Member

It just missed a fine supper of hot lead.

Feed the Bears (hot lead)

12. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Black bears are more like raccoons in their personality. They like to get into stuff and they're very curious, but they'll leave you alone unless you either come across a starving/sick one. Surprise one with her cubs.

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

That's generally true, but I would hate to come across the exception to the rule. That having been said I have run bears out of my camp more than once with no trouble. Of course I had Mr. Ruger with me in case I needed him;).

14. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Here was our visitor in the front yard one evening in September a little after 7:30 pm. Also the second picture is proof a guy can get tired standing to eat corn.:D

Attached Files:

15. orangello

orangello New Member

Sure they are. Until the last ten years or so, nobody seemed to notice that pandas eat carrion, and everybody said that pandas were vegetarians eating bamboo almost exclusively.

Bears, can't trust the ones that breathe.

16. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

WOW!!! That bear was two steps away from that guy's foot. That was some incredible video. Good thing he recorded it because no one would believe his story otherwise.

17. davva360

davva360 New Member

That was a cool video. The guy was either brave or well armed lol.

18. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I suspect he was armed for bear since he was in bear territory.

19. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Cool video, it goes to show some folks who are deathly afraid of black bears that there is no reason to be scared. This was a decent size bear though not a monster, its hard to judge bear size without anything to compare it to but one way we tell a big bear from a small bear is the size of its ears, a very large trophy bear will have a huge head and tiny nubs for ears, a small bear will have very long ears, this one is in between, I'd say 250 to 350 lb class. Looked to me like the bear didn't know the guy was up there til he said something, he was probably well camoed, bear was simply curious as to why there was a nice steel ladder out in the woods and decided to check it out.
    I live in the heart of "bear country" and never go armed because of black bears, if we had grizzly around it would be a different story. A black bear to me is not a risk, now a wolf and a cougar, that's a good reason to arm yourself.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  20. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I've got a video that a neighbor got on their game camera the other night. Its of a lion coming right up to their porch. If I could figure out how to I would post it. I would hate to have a lion coming up a ladder after me though. They move faster than bears do.