birthday rifle :-)

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by CaseyChadwell, Oct 29, 2013.

1. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

Today is my birthday and I'm now 29 (some of you will think I'm young, but I feel old as ****) so in keeping up with tradition, I am going to purchase myself a new rifle. I would love to have a 6.5x55, but after researching, I don't think it is in the cards for right now. So, any ideas on what I should get? I'm thinking center fire, short action, bolt action, bull barrel with readily available ammo but cheapish...
    :)

2. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday, Savage Axis Series in .30-06, 275 bucks at Wal-Mart................

3. artbrownsr

artbrownsr Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

Questions: a) where are you geographically? what do you wish to do with it? Target, small game, dear, bear, antelope, elk?
    If you are in Alaska, my immediate response is nothing LESS than 30-06 with quality 180 gr.
    ammo. ( vwe don't play around with less than defensive rounds for the beasties out here, (Brown bear)

4. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I live in ky. And anything from coyotes to deer to hogs...

5. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Happy Birthday! Is this for "Recreation" or will there be a specific application for this Rifle? I'm hearing so many great things about the Ruger Gunsite Scout,....

6. sandog

sandog Member

7mm-08 or ..308 should be plenty. Remington makes a plain jane heavy barrel, goes for just over $600.

7. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Happy birthday! It doesn't matter how any of us compare our age to yours and call you young or old. Bare in mind you are the oldest you have ever been. To me your old enough to know better and still young enough to want ot try it anyway sometimes..

If you are in the hill country in Ky then you are only looking at an average shot of around 100 yds. If you are more north and/or west then you might get some pretty long ones. I like a 30 30, 30 06, or 308 got deer and the like. Coyotes seem to fall over pretty easy and I've used as small as a 22 mag. But I'm in the foothills so I'm not making any real long range shots.

Being you say a short action bolt gun a 308 fills the bill there.

8. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I would check used too sometimes you can find nice 700s or savages for less...

9. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Happy Birthday! I'll second the 7mm-08,it's a fine cartridge.

10. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Dang you are old! :eek:

How bout something like a 243?

11. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

I've also,heard its recoil friendly.

12. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I'mnot a hhugefan of the 7mm-08. Mainly because my beat friend swears by one and iI always give him crap over it. :). However, the 243 is my second favorite cartridge. Third would most likely be the 25-06. I'm a fan of the small fast bullets. :)

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i became a huge fan of the 7mm-08. excellent ballistics and mild recoil.

i suggest maybe checking out the Marlin X7 series of rifles. they have most of th fairly common calibers in long and short actions. 30-06, 270, and 25-06 in the long actions. 243, 223, 22-250, 7mm-08 and 308 in the short actions/

the Marlin X7's have a lot of desireable features for a very decent price, like an adjustable trigger, pillar bedded stocks and an excellent recoil pad. plus they are very accurate a well. they come in blued steel or stainless steel actions and barrels, and the choice of a black or camo dipped synthetic stock. and for less than a hundred dollars, you can get a laminated stock from Boyd's Gun Stocks if you wanted to replace the stock. you can also get the 223, the 22-250 and the 308 in a 26" heavy barrel Varmint Hunter.

i own three of them so far. a XS7 in 7mm-08, a XL7C in 25-06 and the XS7VH in 308. i enjoy and like them enough to highly recommend them and enough so i would and plan on buying some more.

you owe it to yourself to at least check them out.

14. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

16. artbrownsr

artbrownsr Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

My son in law LOVES his 300 Savage lever action, I'm not sure of the make of the rifle, I just know if he puts his sights on it, it's for dinner.