Birthday Present to Myself?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Olympus, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Olympus

Olympus New Member

What am I going to get myself for my birthday this year? This is the first year that I don't already know what I want and I'm just counting down the days to go and get it. I'm having trouble finding that one thing that really revs my engine.

Thought about getting an iPad, but I really have no use for one and I'd probably lose interest with it after a few months. Then it's obsolete in a few years, so poor investment.

I'm always up for a new gun. It's what I usually get myself. But seems like this year I haven't found too many guns that really get me ramped up. I'm trying to think, but I think I've only bought 3 new guns so far this year. I set up at a gun show this weekend and believe it or not, but there wasn't a single gun in the whole place that I just feel in love with. There were several that I wouldn't mind having, but nothing that I just needed to have.

What are some gun options say in the ballpark of $1200 max that just really cool and/or fun to shoot? Rifles and pistols. I'm tired of buying safe queens. I thought about an M1 Carbine just for fun shooting. I reload, so ammo would not be nearly as expensive as buying off the shelf. Thought about a Beretta CX4 carbine too, but I'm not sold on that one either. I'm having writer's block for guns here. Need some help. :eek:

2. nosaj

nosaj New Member

$1200 can get u a sweet SKS and a nice amout of ammo.

3. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Springfield Armory M1A

4. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Someone else had recommended doing a full upper build in 5.45x39 and using the rest to buy some spam cans of ammo.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Do you have a Hi Power?

6. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Yeah, got one of those.

7. towboater

towboater Active Member

Do ya have a nice SAA? 1873 Colt. Or replica.
    [​IMG]
    Or a 1860 Colt revolver or replica.
    [​IMG]

8. CA357

Got a .45/70? M1 Garand? 1903 Springfield?

9. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I'd like to get into SASS shooting, but there are no clubs or matches within reasonable driving distance. I'm afraid a SAA would just sit in the safe any other way.

10. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Garand and 1903 are beautiful pieces of history, but not really what I'm looking for. .30-06 ammo isn't cheap for range fun and not very easy on the shoulder either.

11. CA357

Do you have a grail gun in the back of your mind?

12. Olympus

Olympus New Member

All my grail guns would be safe queens. I need to get away from pristine condition classics that are out of production. I need to stick with something that won't hurt to get used all the time.

Thinking probably something semi-auto. Have more than enough revos, bolts, and single shots.

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

What about a nice AR-15 you can shoot and spend lots of time and money fix'n them up?:D

14. towboater

towboater Active Member

The VZ58 is a pretty neat rifle.

[​IMG]

15. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Just built one of those.

16. CA357

I realize that it's single action, but a Blackhawk in .30 Carbine is a hoot to shoot. It's worth having for the muzzle flash alone. ;)

Do you have a Mini 14 or 30?

17. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

How about a lifetime membership to a firearms training facility near you.

There is no better investment than in yourself.

Only a soap box hero thinks they know it all and have trained enough.

I spent my youth in the military, and law enforcement into my 40's.

I still get professionally trained on one of my guns, at least twice a year.

Thankfully I have a lifetime membership and do not have to pay the $2,000 per 4 day class each time.

For your birthday, buy additional training for yourself ...

Or buy a ticket to Vegas and I will take you to one of the classes I attend.

This fall will be the m-16 full auto class for me.

18. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Get a SIG P 229

19. Olympus

Olympus New Member

No Mini 14 or 30. A 30 wouldn't be bad, but a 14 wouldn't be much different than my AR.

20. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Nothing like that available in my area or even remotely close. Good idea though.