Birthday gift what is it?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by swann, Jul 21, 2012.

1. swann

swann New Member

My wife bought me a colt lightweight commander ,4.25" barrel,45acp,blue/black anodize model o. My question is. Is this a colt 1911?

image-3788745769.jpg

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Trick question?
    A pic of the other side would be nice :(
    I'd say yes i guess so maybe it looks like a Colt-
    I know its a 1911 Commander style gun--------------

3. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Yes, that is a Talo edition, designed by Wiley Clapp. At least, that's the description given by Davidson's & I'll have one if they ever get any into inventory. I always thought that Talo & Wiley Clapp were two different designers.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

Really, is this a trick question, or do you just know very little about guns?

That is a 1911, just a particular model of 1911. The grips say "Colt", if the slide also says "Colt", and this isn't some kind of a toy plastic gun (sorry, but the lighting kind of sucks), then yes, it's a Colt 1911.

I'm very confused. Is this an honest question? I'm not trying to be mean, it's just that most people who get their hands on a high end gun like that already know exactly what they're doing. If you honestly don't know, I invite you to stick around and do some reading.

5. swann

swann New Member

Yeah I'm new to the 1911s I've only had 1 pistol before this one I had a glock 22 40cal and that's it.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

Very well. Welcome to the greener side of the fence then! :D
    Do some reading, check out Colt's website, and ask questions. You've got a damn fine gun there.

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Did i win?
    Huh Huh , did i win?
    :p

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

yep, you won! your prize is the RRA polymer 1911! enjoy!:D

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Crap- once in my life i win something & i dont want it :mad: :p

10. swann

swann New Member

Thanks everybody for helping a noob out what kind of ammo do you guys recommend I just bought a box of pmc bronze 230 grain looking for something that's clean

11. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Being a 'special edition' it may not appear on their website, but call them with the S/N & they'll tell you all you want to know about it.

It's a really nice pistol & your wife is a keeper, for sure!! :)

12. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

No, it's actually a Kolt...a cheap Korea knockoff of a Colt 1911. Since it's your birthday I'll be generous and give you $100 for it...:)

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Most any 230gr FMJ will do fine for practice. I mostly shoot the Winchester White Box from Wallyworld-

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

Swann, (no relation to Bella by any chance?) You've got homework. Get thee to a range, and give us a report. 2500 words minimum, pictures, references, and a works cited page. Thank you. This assignment is due Monday morning at 0700. Extra credit is given for early completion. Have fun. :)

15. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Yes, he vants to drink our blood :eek:

With all the homework we'll hear from him 'bout mid August :rolleyes::p

16. swann

swann New Member

Lol ok will do bud I'll let you guys know how it goes tomorrow.

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'd also like to invite you to go read the stickies in the 1911 sub forum. Lots of good info there. Any questions, many of us know a good deal about the 1911, but Canebrake is our resident 1911 expert. I'm sure he'd like to see this gun too, he'll probably stop in pretty soon. I think he's got either the government or officers version of the same model.

18. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

I think he has that exact model...even has a pet name for it that I can't recall right now...Black something or other.

OP, beautiful gun by the way...my offer still stands...:p Now get her dirty...

19. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I think Canes got at least one of every 1911 Colt made :eek:

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i think he calls it, "Black Licorice" the one Swann has looks very similar to the one Cane has. i am pretty sure Cane's Commander is also a Talo Wiley Clapp model.