bird Knife I just finished today

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by Dan308, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Dan308

Dan308 New Member

Just finished this Skinner / Bird knife for a friend. He wanted it kind on plain but I think he'll like it. Amboyna with brass pins and liners.

#101 Skinner/Bird with Amboyna Burl
    1095 High Carbon, clay quenched in water
    Overall length 8 in.
    Blade cutting edge 3 5/8 in.
    Acrylic Stabilized Amboyna Burl
    brass pins brass liners
    Handmade leather sheath
    Screaming sharp!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 1turkeyhunter

1turkeyhunter New Member

Sweeeeeet! Looks bada$$! Wish I had the time and knowledge to do that!
    Great job!!! Wanna be MY friend!?!? :D

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Sometimes simple is elegant. I wouldn't minde something similar, in maybe a 4" to 4.5" blade for skinning varmints and deer sized game. I probably don't have the dough for a full on custom job like that though.

Nice work.

4. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Between you and kimber fan I'm laying in the floor twitching.

5. -06

-06 New Member

"Dat B purdy". Love that burled wood handle and the heft of that blade. Just to nice to work with--lol.

6. Dan308

Dan308 New Member

you can see that little hamon line in the blade. I etched it in ferric chloride to bring it out. All the blades I make are not for the weak lol. They average .200 thick

7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Very nice work. Love the handle.

8. Dan308

Dan308 New Member

that's pretty mild compared to most Amboyna. I have some other stuff you won't believe. It's expensive wood but I think some of the most awesome stuff you can buy.

9. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I agree with SSGN. It's simple, but definitely elegant. Beautiful work Dan.

10. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

Nothing pleases me more than to see that great little hamon line too...you just don't see that work done much anymore and a lot of folks don't understand what it means. IT'S BEAUTIFUL KNIFE ~ WELL DONE!

I'd keep that one.

11. RevJammer

RevJammer Member

I hope I'm not out of line... and I certainly don't want to step on anyone's toes... but that is a beautiful knife and seeing as I have NO IDEA about custom blades - can you give a price range of what something like that would cost? Even drop me a PM if I'm breaking any rules here.

Thanks,
    RJ

12. Dan308

Dan308 New Member

ya man that's the thing, most makers shine blades up. I think the hamons look better if they are a little more subtle. I guess everyone has their own thing. You know the only ones I've kept were plain as hell but they work so good as hunting knives. One day I'll make me a pretty one.