bipod

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by 1stmini, Jan 8, 2014.

1. 1stmini

1stmini New Member

looking for a bipod for my mini , don't really want to do a rail just looking for a way to put a decent bipod on my gun , have looked for threads on the subject and only find either rails or clamping on a barrel strut , looking for ideas , here is the gun I am working with

Attached Files:

2. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  4. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Harris bipods have adapters that clamp onto sling studs.

The Mini-14 is too short and light to seriously benefit from a bipod. I bet you will be just as accurate in any self-supporting position, especially with a sling. On a hard surface the bipod will shift around constantly. You will be quicker on target with a steady two-hand grip. Standing or kneeling, you will find the bipod a nuisance. From the bench, a sandbag is better. Just something to consider, unless you have made up your mind.

5. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

You can adapt, by removing your front sling ring and attach a bipod there. You could also mod in a sling stud to your minis fore end to support a bi-pod/

Other than "cosmetics" a mini 14 really isn't a bi-pod rifle. (IMHO)

6. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

My mini-14 has a Tapco stock with a bottom rail and I use a grippod. I also use it with my AR and 10/22 with a tapco stock.

7. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

8. 1stmini

1stmini New Member

have looked at those mounts and some people seem to not like them , I asume you like yours and it works well ? am looking for one mostly just for cosmetics but have one on my AR and like it , just worried that with such a small rifle it will get in the way or look to big for the gun [ like my scope choise LOL ] any pics would be great , thanks for all the help

9. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

I think there was a thread here about installing a sling swivel in a mini stock, I would do that way before the Harris bipod adaptor. I had one installed when Gundoc did the rest of one of my minis, but I use mine for a sling since the Arms Room light mounts get in the was of stock sling mounting. Having had a bipod on a non target mini add me to the people that think you will lose interest fast.

10. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

I have a Harris bi pod for my mini 14. It clamps to the gas block sling swivel. It made the gun too front heavy and like other posters said, it just jumped around a lot when I shot with it. No need for one on a mini 14. Mine came with one when I bought it and I would've never purchased it seperately. But, if you must have one, the Harris ones are high quality and they mount up easily.

11. 1stmini

1stmini New Member

update

well I did it , used the Harris mount , seems solid , have not shot it yet , maybe tommorrow , but it LOOKS good IMO

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  12. FernandoTheCommando

It does look good doesn't it? I dont have mine on for weight reasons, but it definitely makes it look cool.

13. 1stmini

1stmini New Member

don't think it really added that much , went with a light weight and only 6-9"

14. FernandoTheCommando

Oh I think mine is at least 10-12" extended. Ounces count when it comes to small lightweight carbines. If I had .308 bolt action I'd throw it on there. Wanna buy another one already fitted for a mini 14? Lol

15. LocoTonyF

LocoTonyF New Member

I'd like to find one like that but also some sort of quick release. I only want it on at the range...

16. Misfire51

Misfire51 New Member

The Mini 14 tactical is a light weight Carbine, I would shoot from a bag or a rest , if you want to keep the muzzle down than put a break on it. The bipods just ad to much weight to the gun. Now a bipod on a Remington 700 , I can see that. JMHO. Tony