Bipod question

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by nikotromus11, Sep 19, 2009.

1. nikotromus11

nikotromus11 New Member

I do not have a rail system on my AR-15's barrel. I have heard that mounting a bipod straight to the barrel, as apposed to mounting it onto a rail impacts accuracy. Is this true? Is it a big hit on accuracy?

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Yes. If you don't have a free floated forend, and you mount a bipod to the barrel itself, your accuracy will suffer. Quite a bit.

The AR barrel is not threaded in place, it sits in a shoulder/collar groove, and adding undo stress will greatly affect your barrel's accuracy.

What length barrel do you have?

JD

3. nikotromus11

nikotromus11 New Member

4. nikotromus11

nikotromus11 New Member

Thanks for the info. I wont be purchasing a barrel mounted bipod.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You are not going to be getting minute of angle accuracy out of a GI 16" barrel much past 100 yards, and there is no real reason to add a bipod to such a weapon.

Get yourself a backpack, or a range bag, and gentle cradle the weapon across the top of if for longer shooting.

If you get a 20" varminter, and have a free floated forend for shooting out to 500-600, then think about a bipod...

JD

6. nikotromus11

nikotromus11 New Member

I've been using a backpack with a pillow. That is probably what I will stick with. Thank you for the advice!