Bipod Length

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Sibil, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Sibil

Sibil New Member

How long should be the length of the legs of the bipod to be shoot from prone position? I bought a harris bipod with 6" to 9" for benchrest but I want to know if I can use it too for prone position.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Depends on the stock, may be a smidge long. If so, take a garden trowel with you. make a couple of holes a few inches deep.

3. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

I have a harris 6-9 that i bench rest with. Its always to short for close targets and to long to reach out and touch anything. I always bring a 5' and 10" sand bag set with me

ForumRunner_20121028_213134.jpg

4. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

WTF is that scope on there? It's almost as long as the stock.;)

5. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Lol. 6-22x55 mm made in england.

6. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I don`t know, how long should they be ?

Attached Files:

7. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

I have a 9-13" for prone shooting and a 13-27" for hunting.

8. Intheshop

Intheshop New Member

Am NOT bustin on Harris's,or any bi-pod.......we have and use the heck out of them.

But have come to rely on home-brew'd shootin sticks WAY more in the field.They just seem to work better for me.And thats a big point.....didn't get here without lots of use with factory bi-pods.We build our sticks with old aluminum arrows.....to the point(ha),of leaving the field tips in them.They really dig into the ground.Obviously we lose the fletching.....then about 4 or 5 inches down we tie them together with a bunch of overlapping(shoe lace style),loops of medium wieght string.How tight you wrap correlates to the "hinge" stiffness.Slip the appropriate size surgical tubing over the section above lacing.All this takes way longer to type than to actually do it.

They're "better"(again,YMMV)...because they're not attached.When used on a stalking rifle,they either go in a back-pack or you stick one leg under your belt.They get pulled out when you get to your set-up.But whilst you're walking they're out of the way....and don't slow down the rifle when doing running shots.

How a rifle,"behaves" off Harris's(or any brand)...whilst shooting for groups is a deep subject.And thats not the point of my response.On some set-ups they rival a good fr rest/rr bag.To the point,my shooting range(here at the shop)has a perfect berm for the use of them.My cast bullet rifle gets about equal time between the low Harris's and a full-on BR set-up.

9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

They should be long enough to reach the ground while you are looking through the scope.:D