bipod for my ar 15?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by magnum05, Nov 28, 2013.

1. magnum05

magnum05 New Member

I've been looking at Harris bipods but not sure if its right for me.. I'm going to be hunting and range and i want to stay in the 6-9in of adjustment what do you guys recommend?
    thanks

2. broke-again124

broke-again124 New Member

Get a Harris with the Alamo Four Star DLOC/SARGE set up. Available at Alamo four star website. Great set up. Been running mine for about 4-5 months and it's held up well.

image-2419831833.jpg

3. BRL

BRL New Member

Harris "S" model (swivel) has been excellent on uneven surfaces for me and is a quality product that can always be resold for darn near new retail down the road.

I speak from experience after trying to purchase a used one on e-bay, only to find that I could get a new one on sale from Midway for about $10 more.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/206805/harris-s-l-bipod-sling-swivel-stud-mount-9-to-13-black

Mine is the 9-13" length but 6-9" is also on sale.

Hope you are taking the max. length magazine that you'll be using into account when you decide on the length of your bipod.

[​IMG]

4. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

I use a Harris with a LaRue adaptor.

image-1815940951.jpg

5. magnum05

magnum05 New Member

what's the difference between the s series and the 1a2-br hinged

6. BRL

BRL New Member

Just a Guess

That is one really good question magnum05! :eek:

As best I could determine from spending my Thanksgiving evening doing internet research, the best I could come up with was that "swivel" and "hinged" are two different terms for the same Harris bipod function? :confused:

A partial description as an example from Midway:

Swivel Models
    •These are the models with S in the designation
    Hinged base has tension adjustment and buffer springs to eliminate tremor or looseness
    •Available for all models except H models

Someone may have the correct answer if that isn't right and I'd like to know as well.

7. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

The "S" models lean side to side so that you can lean the rifle 90' vertically while on an uneven surface.

"Series "S": Swivels to either side for instant leveling on uneven ground. Hinged base has tension adjustment and buffer springs to eliminate tremor or looseness. They are otherwise similar to non-rotating Series. Available for ALL models except the "H" model."

8. jlee0812

jlee0812 New Member

I bought the Harris 6-9 br

9. magnum05

magnum05 New Member

thanks guys think I'm going with 9-13 s series just hope it'll look good on the ar

10. BRL

BRL New Member

Exquisite choice magnum05 and you have nothing to worry about in the looks Department! :D :D :D

[​IMG]

11. FishinLuke

FishinLuke New Member

Do you want to be able to pan back and forth to follow a moving target? If so, I would go with an Atlas. I was in your shoes looking for a varmint bipod that allows for panning as well as swivel. And by the time you buy a mount that pans ($80-90) on a $110 Harris S model you are approaching the Atlas price ($260). And the atlas attaches to picatinny rail and has 3" easy extensions that come on and off if one needs more height.

I shrugged off the atlas at first but when I found out that harris doesn't have a model that pans and that a panning adapter not only was bulky but added $80-90. It opened up the idea of an atlas. I haven't got a chance to use mine yet but just handling it you can tell its quality as it should be for the price. But it will be moved from all my different guns and is easily done with the quick connect mount. I'll let you guys know when I get a chance to try it out.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013