Bio-Diesel

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Troy Michalik, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

Anyone here making their own fuel?

I looked into it a few years ago, but didn't have a diesel vehicle. Now I do and am wondering if it's really worth the time and effort to do it. With the way fuels prices have shot up I'm starting to look at it again and wanted to get some real world feedback.

Thanks guys.

2. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I've got plenty of dog poop. Happy to send it to you.

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

My truck won't go cuz I always have a turkey in the fryer.

4. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

If there was two I knew I could count on, I knew it was you two. :D

BTW Lon, how's the rat hunting going? Haven't seen any pictures yet.

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I rented a place from a guy who did for his business trucks since they were all diesel. It worked really well for him but took a little while to get the fuel mixture just right. If I didn't drive 2 miles one way to work I would consider buying an old Mercedes diesel and doing just what you are talking about. I can help you get started if you need it.

Yeah Lon, where are the dead rats?

6. oldshooter

oldshooter New Member

A friend of mine bought one of those kits to convert his F-250 to use used cooking oil for fuel. Cost was somewhere around $300.00 for the kit and instructions. That didnt include all the fuel filters, towing charges and aggravation.
    Needless to say the old "do it myself" things didnt work out to well for him.

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

You have the audacity to doubt my veracity?

Posted one from my BlackBerry in the "Fun with Nutria" thread.

8. RJMercer

RJMercer New Member

Mix in veg oils the same as you would waste motor oil in your diesel. Filter the hell out of it, heat it to get the acids out, then mix in 5% per volume with diesel. In the summer you can mix it heavier and your stuff will still start cold. It boosts cetane and lubricity.