Bigger than 7.62?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by PeteZaHut, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeteZaHut

PeteZaHut New Member

Does anyone know of a caliber for an AR bigger than 7.62 where ammo would be available. I know there is the .458 socom and the .50 beowulf, but I hear ammo is basically impossible to find.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

do you reload?? if not then 7.62 and 5.56/.223 7.62x39 is it.

3. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

338 federal
    450 bushmaster
    338 whisper
    499 LWR

When you own those uppers, you reload. Don't rely on "ammo supply".

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  4. PeteZaHut

PeteZaHut New Member

are 7.62 and 5.56 the only types of ar ammunition that have the pointed tips? And what do the pointed tips do?

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

What's the interest Pete? Do you have an application in mind? Writing a report for school? Saw something on TV?

What's up?

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

sounds like you need to go take a gun safety course before you settle on buying something.

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Pointed tips!! Spitzer bullets?? Go back to WWI. Do some research, reading. You will see why, partially.

What's up??

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I don't believe he said he was buying anything. I believe he was asking a question about available size rounds. But from the follow up posts, I think this is more of a "writing a book" type of question than a "can you help me build' question.

You know. :confused:

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Get a BAR.

[​IMG]

BAR LongTrac in 30-06 Spfld., 300 Win. Mag., 270 Win., 7mm Rem. Mag.

If you want pointy, get an 82A1 in .416 Barrett.

[​IMG]

Yea, pointy and available in any quantity needed @ $7/rnd.

[​IMG]

Yea, autoloader.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  10. JonM

JonM Moderator

i figured he was looking to buy cuz of the ammo availability question.

11. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

Oh, I just thought it was crap on the noob day:)

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I honestly have no idea, but from the initial post, then the follow up, I get the feeling he is looking for field knowledge as opposed to knowledge for a purpose of purchasing.

Usually the guys that are wanting to build or wanting to buy have a couple of models in mind BEFORE they post. They know WHAT they want the weapon to do, in their mind, but are unsure of what round will do it.

This just seems to be more of a querry into the world of the AR to me.

Apologies if I am wrong and would be happy to help.

JD

13. PeteZaHut

PeteZaHut New Member

just plan on buying an ar in the future. trying to decide what caliber i'd want

14. willfully armed

Depending on your intentions....if course. But if this is your first, go 5.56. Cheap to shoot.

15. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

hoorah for spitzer bullets hahaha

the "point" is typical of full metal jacket rounds....by geneva convention rules, these are the only types of rounds "legal" to use in standard warfare between nations....hollow points and expanding rounds (used for self defense and hunting respectively) are not allowed because they cause unrecoverable wounds.

Pointed rounds-Full Metal Jackets-FMJ's are used because they get good penetration and end up traveling the whole way through a human target.

16. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Pete,

The issue of the 458 SOCOM being almost impossible to get is not true!
    There are a few companies that are preparing to produce it. Check the websites for companies and also call Hilltop Guns Inc. You can also get dies for it and load it yourself without a problem. SBR Ammunition makes it as well as others. Bottom line like my 6.5 Grendel I have brass and load it myself. By the way the 458 SOCOM is a hammer on wild pigs. Like a sledge hammer. If you can get a hold of Petersen's Hunting Adventures Television Season III about the Collins Creek Texas Show you can see Dick Metcalf shoot a wild pig with one in action. Another great thing about the 458 SOCOM it falls underneath the Indiana pistol cartridge law length for deer since they must use a shotgun, pistol or certain cartridge. I would not be afraid of shooting a Black Bear with it either. Also all you need to have one is an upper to go on your existing AR 223. Takes the same magazines!
    It's ballistics is near to a 45-70 at 100 yards.

17. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Id go with 5.56 and russian ammo.

18. willfully armed

You really believe that?

You're not supposed to speed either.......

19. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

lol, I couldnt imagine soldiers using anything other than the green tip stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.