Big Tom Turkey

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by ckirby, Apr 4, 2010.

1. ckirby

ckirby New Member

Went Turkey hunting yesterday and had the best day ever. I called in a Big Tom and had him in the bag by 9:30 am. It was spectacular, heard the gobbler answer the call at about 300yds away. I was in a bad spot to get a view of him due to a big oak so I low crawled to get a better view and still no sight. I crawled back to my tree and there he was about 75yds out. Called him up to 25yds and it was all over. 21lbs and 9.5in beard.

IMG00242-20100402-0941.jpg

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Nice bird. One heck of a shot at 25 yards, what shot were you shooting?

[​IMG]

3. Deadman1

Deadman1 New Member

Congrats! Sure is a pretty bird too. :cool:

4. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Most excellent. I can't wait for the season to start here.

Pics, man, pics! :D

5. Leatherneck1775

Leatherneck1775 New Member

awesome! nice pic. congrats.
    I have to wait till the 28th of april.:)

6. ckirby

ckirby New Member

Got him with my new Remington 887. I was using Remington Turkey loads 3" #6 shot with a Kicks Gobblin Thunder choke.

7. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Congratulations! That's a dandy Tom and I bet he'll eat well. I'm leaving on the 20th. This will be my 18 year of hunting thunder chickens and I hope to see one as nice as the one you bagged.

8. ckirby

ckirby New Member

Just had one breast for Easter dinner. Marinated, wrapped in bacon and grilled. He was very good! Good luck on your trip. I'm going back out and have a hunt that I won scheduled on a private lake still to go. More to come I hope.

9. TexasPatriot.308

TexasPatriot.308 New Member

now that you killed him, what you gonna do? aint much worth eating and a major pain to get that breast meat, tell me how you love those big drum sticks.:)

10. ckirby

ckirby New Member

Hey TX patriot. Took the breasts and had one for Easter dinner. Other in the freezer. Curious why you ask.

11. TexasPatriot.308

TexasPatriot.308 New Member

around here turkeys (and we got lot of them) are a pain in the a##, I guess I dont see no sport in hunting them and or eating them, but that is just me in my part of the country. dont mean to offend turkey hunters.:)

12. edritchey

edritchey New Member

turkey

Great pictures makes me hungry just looking at him... I can't wait to get out this year our season starts the last weekend in April. ;)

13. jca1

jca1 New Member

Awesome!

Me and the FIL went opening day and killed these two from the same blind.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      77.4 KB
      Views:
  14. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Nice bird! I droped one early this yar as well. I love hunting turkey!

15. ckirby

ckirby New Member

Nice birds!!! Did you get them both at the same time or one first and then the other later? I guess what I mean is did you coordinate your shots and get them both at the same instant?

16. jca1

jca1 New Member

We shot them at the same time but not at the exact same time. My FIL(right side) shot first. The other Tom turned to run, then turned back and charged the down Tom and that's when I shot.

17. R-BOLT

R-BOLT New Member

Have made it out 3 times so far, score is Toms 3 R-BOLT 0. Should have had one, but had 3 does and bucks in front of me checking out my decoys. The does chased my Tom off just out of gun range. If I had not seen it myself I would not have believed it!!! :eek:

18. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Same here, R-Bolt. Still plenty of time left here. Just itching to get one.

As per the the comment about the meat being hard to get to and not being tasty, I have to disagree 100%. Slow smoked with a water bath is my favorite, but I like the bacon wrap and brushed with balsamic vinegar as well. The legs make a great soup and have to be slow cooked in the soup to get them tender.

19. jca1

jca1 New Member

I'm jealous. I would have loved to have seen that.

20. R-BOLT

R-BOLT New Member

Toms 4 - R-BOLT 1 10" beard 15/16" spur and a 1"

Attached Files: