Big Rookie

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by sgtpepper75, Apr 15, 2010.

1. sgtpepper75

sgtpepper75 New Member

I'm gonna sound like the biggest rookie but here it goes. What in the world is plinking? Many people make reference to it and I need to know, please!!!!

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The opposite of target shooting.

A great example is blasting away at soda cans and milk jugs just for fun. (And cleaning up your mess after of course)

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

From the dictionary:
    plink [plɪŋk]
    n
    a short sharp often metallic sound as of a string on a musical instrument being plucked or a bullet striking metal
    vb
    1. (intr) to make such a noise
    2. (Military / Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery) to hit (a target, such as a tin can) by shooting or to shoot at such a target
    [of imitative origin]

Translation- Informal target shooting, such as knocking empty cans around with a .22. Far less stressful than formal competition shooting.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Shooting for the simple pleasure of shooting!

GUN FUN

Usually done with small caliber (.22lr) or cheap target or re-loads in the larger caliber firearms.

The act of smiling even when you miss!

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Are you sir admitting that you could perhaps miss? :eek:

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

What they all said...fun! :cool:

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Loosly defined - informal shooting at non traditional targets. Targets that make noise (plink) when hit is preferred.

8. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

And all this time I thought it was playing the Price is Right game Plinko;)

9. Charger Fan

Charger Fan New Member

Well, there's plinking & then there's "clanging".:D I love shooting water bottles, cans & other similar stuff...car rims, cylinder heads & old propane tanks (valve left open for a week first, to vent) are also fun for a good smile maker.
    This was a first recently, however...this was shot with a .445 SuperMag using XTP hollowpoints. This one turned itself inside-out, spitting most of the lead into the hole, leaving the jacket stuck to the side like a .44 flower. LOL!:)
    [​IMG]

10. sgtpepper75

sgtpepper75 New Member

I think I like the idea of it. As a matter of fact, my friend just invited me to go plinking without calling it that. He just said we'd shoot cans at stuff out at his property. Sweet!!!! thanks guys (and girls) for the info!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  11. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Plinking to me is any informal shooting where you're either not competing or competing with friends just for fun. You can use just about any safe target. It's also funner to play games such as shoot till you miss and other shooting games.

12. orangello

orangello New Member

13. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I went Plinking with Stalkingbear, that WAS FUN. Still have a smile on my face.:D