Big love for the weak little .38 special

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by magnumman, Sep 20, 2013.

1. txpossum

txpossum New Member

And, I suspect more people have been killed with a .38 special historically in the U.S. than any other caliber, with the possible exception of the .22.

2. txpossum

txpossum New Member

The people who seriously use "pistol" to mean semi-autos only are using it not as a nickname, but as a term of art -- that is, as if that were the correct, technical definition, which historically is incorrect.

3. firelooker

firelooker New Member

I still own a Colt chiefs special w/ a 2 in barrel. Very nice little pistol & fun to shoot.

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

You shixxin me? Surely you jest!

5. firelooker

firelooker New Member

Never have figured out this love affair w/ Glock I'll take a Ruger any day. When I bought my Ruger about 7 yrs ago I tried out every gun on the market even Glock & none felt as good in my hand as the Ruger P345.

6. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Do you mean Detective Special? I thought the Chief Special was S&W

7. firelooker

firelooker New Member

My mistake don't know where I got that from. Actually it says Cobra on the barrel. I bought it for my mother in law back in the early 70's from a gun shop in Tucson AZ. I inherited after she passed away back in 97. It's not lost hardly any of it's bluing at all & my wife is a crack shot w/ it.

8. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

I have to come clean - I was a magnum snob and years back to the point I was even proud my SW 686 had never seen a 38 Special.

Got older & wiser, now I really like it and as fate would have it - the damn thing is expensive. Used to be really, really cheap when I was younger and now its either hard to find or almost the same price as mags.

Need to get off my *** and start reloading. Everyone says it is easy to reload for and 110 grain loads are easy on the hand.

9. at_liberty

at_liberty Member

Sorry man, but clearly the companies who make both types of handguns make distinctions using the terms pistols versus revolvers. To me, that trumps any layman's dictionary. See the Smith & Wesson and Ruger websites.

10. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Way back when I was a kid the terminology in use by the gun writers was "revolver" and "auto-loading pistol". The auto-loading pistol moniker was shortened briefly to auto-loader, which caused all sorts of confusion between the pistol and rifle folks. Eventually the auto-loading part of auto-loading pistol was dropped in favor of just plain pistol. The revolver designation stayed the same throughout.

11. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I love shooting .38 revolvers. I learned how to shoot centerfire revolvers with a S&W 36. They're a blast to shoot and won't break the bank either. One of my favorite guns to shoot is a J.P. Sauer & Sohn .357 loaded up with lrn .38's.

12. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

90 percent of the rounds that I fire from my .357 magnumrevolvers are .38 Spec, 148 gr cast full wadcutters over 2.8 grains of Bullseye.

The "standard" target load for over 100 years.

13. arizona98tj

arizona98tj New Member

.38 Spl and a snub nose revolver? Never heard of them! ;)

[​IMG]

14. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker Well-Known Member

No, that really doesn't matter. You can call a duck a chicken all you want, but it's still a duck.

The term "pistol" was around LONG before the first semi auto.

15. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

Calling a 38 "weak is like calling a Porche slow in comparison to a Ferrarri.
    Just because there are things bigger, stronger and faster doesn't make something weak. The 38 special was the mainstay for the LEO's across the country at one time. If the reasoning is soley by comparison, then the S&W 500 is weak too....because someone has a rocket launcher sitting on their shoulder.

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The best feature of the revolver is the versatility. I can load anything from snake shot to +P in my S&W 639. The +P loads are easy on the hand in my SP101. When boondocking out in the desert, I carry the 639 with a snake round and +P's. If I feel I might run into something more dangerous, I carry the SP101 and 125 grain 357's. If I carry the SP101 for SD it is usually loaded with 110 grain HP 357. I use Berry or Rainier bullets for reloading. They are copper plated and pretty reasonable. I use a taper crimp.

17. at_liberty

at_liberty Member

There are so many parallels in evolution of the language. If wishing to be understood or even politically correct, one better keep up.

18. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker Well-Known Member

Should we start calling all magazines clips instead too?

I think political correctness is one of the many things ruining this country.

Pistol always has, and always will refer to ALL handguns. Not just semi autos.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  19. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

I really like to shoot .38 Sp. Nice cal. for informal mixed gender/age shooting sessions. I learned to shoot as a kid with my dad's issued cop S&W M-10. The round may not be as popular today because of the automatic pistol being much more prevalent. I can always find them though.

Because I like um, I love um, I want some more of um

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  20. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

Texas, I'm liking the word, revolver. Then almost everybody has a mental image of what I am talking about.