Big hands - small gun

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by DG1748, Jun 7, 2015.

1. DG1748

DG1748 New Member

I'm out to purchase my first firearm and have narrowed it down to the XD in 9mm. The problem I have is I can't decide between the 3 or 4 inch models. I've shot both about a year ago and felt ok with each however the range master did add a mag extension to the subcompact for added comfort/control for me during my round.

I do want a gun that I can conceal and also keep bedside. I feel like the 4 inch will print more due to the longer grip so I'm hesitant to go with that option for that reason.

I'm leaning towards going with the subcompact and adding some Pearce grip extensions or similar accessories to gain some more length on the grip while at the range etc. then just going with a flush mag while I carry.

Two different range masters I've spoke with both recommended the 4 inch to me so now I'm stuck debating again.

Anyone here have pretty big hands and own a XD9 in 3inch? What do you do if anything to get a good grip on the gun? Still happy with the choice not to go 4 inch?

2. indy36

indy36 New Member

Enter the "You should get a Glock 19" responses.

3. indy36

indy36 New Member

I would suggest the Sig 320. Best 'out the box' trigger I've felt on a non-1911 gun.
    [​IMG]

4. Jimski

Jimski Member

I agree, the G19 is comfortable with my large hands and still conceals nicely. Also a great shooter.

5. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

People, read the post. There are TWO requirements to respond: BIG HANDS, and OWN a Springfield XD9, 3" ONLY. He's not asking for suggestions on other guns. Please stay on topic or start a completely separate thread to address your questions or concerns. Thank you.

6. Mercator

Mercator New Member

You are on the right track, because you have ruled out thumb safety. My hands are medium, and I can handle the smallest of double action pistols such as the Seecamp. Your hand is larger, so is the XD9. I don't know what your fingers and coordination are like. Try both sizes, draw out of pocket.

It is easy for an advisor to recommend a larger gun because it is a safer choice for a shootout. You are the one who will carry it on your person, and likely never fire in anger. Get comfy!

7. indy36

indy36 New Member

Steering a person away from a specific gun to another that would suit them better (that they may not know) is a positive thing and should not be frowned on. I've owned all three. I know. And currently, I have the XDS with a 4-inch barrel. There are reasons I'd suggest a person pick one of the other two guns...but it appears we aren't allowed to talk about them.
    [​IMG]

8. DG1748

DG1748 New Member

I do appreciate the suggestion. In fact I've somewhat had my eye on a sig 2022 as my second gun purchase. Being that the sig is just about a 4 inch also makes me really want to go with the subcompact XD so eventually I'll have a 3 and 4 inch 9.
    As the first gun goes however I'm set on the xd. Just curious on the opinions and suggestions of those who have larger hands what they use to make the subcompact more manageable.

Thanks all.

9. indy36

indy36 New Member

Your best option are Pierce grip extensions, which work great. Keep in mind there is no one trick pony. The gun you carry, if small, won't be overly fun at the range. Small = muzzle flip and short barrels = less accurate. A big heavy gun with a 5-inch barrel is fun to shoot but you won't carry it. 4-inch is a nice middle ground.

10. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have big hands. I am 6' 2"+. I carry a Kahr CM9 in my front pocket. Not trying to change your mind. The Kahr is about as small a 9mm as you will find. There are smaller. But not by much. And not many. If you want a gun that you will carry get the small one. You can always get a longer mag later. If you get the bigger gun you cant just take a hacksaw to it. If you do not plan on carrying buy the bigger one. It is just too easy to throw a pocket gun into you pocket with a pocket holster. I never leave home without it.

11. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a safe full of guns. I have several small revolvers and my Kahr. I have a bunch of full size autos and large revolvers. And I have several boxes full of holsters for all of them. But the Kahr is always with me.

If you buy the 4 inch you will wish you had the 3inch.

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The grip is usually the problem concealing not the barrel length. If you are using an IWB holster, the 4" barrel should not be any harder to hide. Going to a short barrel and adding grip extensions is counter productive. My XD45c with 10 round mag will conceal with an IWB holster. It is just heavier so I usually carry the lighter guns.