Big Disappointment: Stack-On from Walmart.com

Discussion in 'Gun Safes' started by miles_fan, Mar 20, 2013.

1. miles_fan

miles_fan New Member

I purchased a combination long gun safe from Stack-On through Walmart.com. Price was good and delivery was quick. That's where things stopped being positive. The safe was indeed Chinese made, but I tried not to judge that since I had decided to go the value route. Combination supplied did not work and stack-on customer service has been silent after sending one note there would be a combination validation.

2. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I so miss the days when every thing we bought proudly said "Made in America".:)

3. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I miss the days when "made in America" indeed meant that it was good quality, and also not just "assembled in America"

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I'm sorry,but you get what you pay for!

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I was considering one with the two key lock set up. the $99 ones. Just for the guns that are not really worth much of anything. Free up some space in the fire lined American Security safe. I can't afford another $1000 safe for $300 worth of guns.

The old, worn out .22's I can't part with for sentimental reasons, the $75 Spanish 7mm Mausers, the free Turk Mauser, the muzzle loaders, etc. Just bilt it to the wall studs in the shop and keep prying hands away form them. If they want to pry it open and get a bunch of stuff you can't sell for more than $100, fine. Insurance will pay off more than they are actuallhy worth.

6. unclebear

unclebear New Member

Back in the day where people had pride in there country and was actually happy to live in america. I miss those days as well brother, back when you could actually say the pledge of alliance in the mornings at school, without some jack wagon complaining. :(

7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

A lot of people are selling a lot of junk. I just finished replacing the lock box in the back of my motorcycle. The old one the lock was failing too unlock. I bought a Bulldog gun box. It is the electronic and key operated type. Just big enough for a handgun. I locked it. Then I was able to break the lock by simply forcing the knob to the unlock possition with nothing but the strenght of my hand. It opened. I obviously returned it. I ended up buying a $10 cash box at walmart. I drilled it out and put a good pad lock on it. Then I bolted it through my leather bag to my luggage rack.

8. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I, too, almost fell for this same ploy, but when the price fell to one C note for a "safe," my BS detector kicked in and I did some research.

Their are two different styles of metallic lockups sold for handguns, safes and cabinets. We all know what a safe is: A thickly-armored, heavy box with large hinges and either an electronic or combination lock that secures with large bolts through the side of the door. What was described above is a metal cabinet akin to our old high school lockers, except that it is secured by an installed key, combination or electronic lock.

The levels of security are commensurate with the price of each item. The safe cannot be forced and generally requires a plasma torch to burn through the armor or someone that can "crack" the lock. The cabinet can be forced open by any healthy adult or an angry 12-year-old. If you want to keep firearms out of the hands of children, criminals or the mentally ill, these $100 lockers are not an option you want to consider.

Gun security and holsters are still arenas that you indeed get what you pay for. Just as you can't carry a $700 firearm in a $15 nylon holster on a $12 belt and be surprised when it crashes to the floor in a restaurant bathroom, you can't expect a $100 safe to actually protect your firearm collection from anyone that has a desire to take it from you.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  9. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

No offense, but if you are shopping at Wal-Mart for a gun safe do not expect top quality or ANYTHING to say MADE IN USA.

10. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I was at a sporting good store looking at some of their safes. It was tje electronic type. I was messing with the codes to see if I could open it up. Well the electronic piece came off in my hand and was just a few wires back there. Now if this thing got bumped while moving it and it broke off, how do you get your guns out. Think I would rather have the combination lock on a gun safe

11. Rentacop

Rentacop New Member

There's a long vid on Youtube by "weaponseducation" on safes . Well worth watching. The guy likes Fort Knox safes and debunks the quality of many imported safes .

You can improve the effectiveness of your safe many times over by hiding it inside a locked closet or storage room or by bolting it to the floor .

12. AR10

AR10 New Member

Someone mentioned a grand safe for three hundred dollars worth of guns.

It is nit your gun collection I am worried about, it is the kids down the street, or my wife, or the head of the Colorado prisons that got mowed down with a stolen gun.

Biden wants new gun laws? How about anyone loosing a gun in a home burglary gets convicted of the same crime as the thief gun user?

If you want to play the gun game, first get the safe, a real safe, then get a gun to keep in it.

13. Rentacop

Rentacop New Member

AR-10-
    "How about anyone loosing a gun in a home burglary gets convicted of the same crime as the thief gun user?"

Your proposal flies in the face of our American principles of law . Intent and actions matter . The person whose house is broken into and whose gun is stolen is not morally responsible for the actions of the burglar .

To pursue your thinking further though, what punishment would the rightful gun owner get if the burglar obtained the gun from a safe the owner forgot to lock, from a flimsy file cabinet, from an ornate wooden cabinet with glass doors, from a night table in a house with an alarm system ?
    Also, if you leave your keys in your car, are you guilty of car theft ? If you leave prescription drugs in a medicine cabinet, did you force your teen and his friends to have a pill party ?

You can't stop crime by " keeping guns out of the wrong hands " . You stop it either by locking up those
    " wrong hands " or by cutting off those "wrong hands" a la Saudi Arabia.

14. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

My first safe was a K-Mart light gauge "like a stack on" with the key lock. It worked great for keeping young hand off things they should not be touching but I would never have considered it as anything "anti theft". A crow bar and 2 minutes will open any of these.

Sorry about your lock troubles but as someone already said... "you get what you pay for". :(

We do appreciate the heads up through. My eldest son is shopping for an affordable safe just to make sure his room mates can't screw with his guns before he takes them out of my safe. I'll let him know to steer clear of anything with a combo lock and stick with the cheaper "key" locks.

Tack

15. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

Mine is a Sentry from Walmart and like Tack said crowbar and a few minutes it's open, I did mount it to the concrete floor and locked up in a basement closet and the house has ADT alarm system, so I'm not real concerned but I am looking to get one of those highly recommended by pawn shops and gun stores "Fort Knox" safe seems like IIRC they start at $3,500 used in good condition so... it could be awhile but the ol Sentry is plum full 18guns in a 12 gun safe:eek:

16. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Gun safes are getting harder to find for a good price. Most are made in china and can be opened with a couple of crow bars. They cost so much money and most of that money is for shipping cost. What I am looking for a floor safe to store my ammo. Worried about if the house were to catch on fire they wouldn't be able to put it out because all the bullets going off. After looking at some video's of gun safes in houses that caught fire, most of them failed and the ones that did survive, you couldn't open to get your guns out. I agree everyone should have some type of gun safe. Wal Mart brands or stack on are better then nothing. But I can't talk bad if you don't have one. I'm there with you. Looking like everyone else to find something they can afford.

17. Ken_inWA

Ken_inWA New Member

Better look at the youtube videos of keylocks getting picked in seconds.

We just got our first gun

Ended up with a Barska biometric only safe with power unlock. Easily room for two pistols and 4000 rnds of ammo.

Have yet to find an example of any quick breakins to this model pretty happy with quality
    The comceild key backup is probably the weak point. But I doubt there is a lowcost solution that would keep out a motivated roommate with time to study.

18. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

How much does that run and who sells it?

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Thieves in this area just use a concrete saw to bust open any safe. I own a nice concrete saw myself. In less than a week six laborers cut the center out of a two elevator shaft and converter it into a shaft for a single large elevator. How long would it take to cut your $3500 safe open with two saws like that? The people that have been victimized have watchful neighbors. They thought all the commotion was a construction crew working on their neighbors home/property. Who thinks a thief is that bold?

20. Ken_inWA

Ken_inWA New Member