Big-Bore Rifles

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Fleetman, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Fleetman

Fleetman New Member

Here's mine....what do some of you fellows have?

Pictured is a:
    LAR .50BMG
    CZ 550 .458 Lott
    Rem 700 .338 Win Mag

Hoping to add a .375 H&H and .416 Rigby soon!

Attached Files:

2. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Closest I've got to big bore, but since you posted a .338 I'll throw up my Rem7600 in 35 Whelen, next to my buds 45-70 guide gun:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I am looking to move up in the medium bores, been looking at 9.3x62, 370 Sako, and 376 Steyr chamberings for a Mauser action I've got. Decisions, decisions.

I'm a bit of a recoil junkie myself, but that Lott looks like it would just be nasty:DNice rifles Fleetman!

3. Kitty87

Kitty87 New Member

They are beautiful.

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

That's awesome. Just out of curiosity....what do you DO with the .50?

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

What any good Texan would, line up 5 or 6 piggies and let her rip!;)

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

Well, yeah but.....wouldn't another caliber do the same...and not at $20-25 a pop? :eek:

None of my business, I've always been fascinated with .50 caliber....but never knew a non-military to have one!

7. Fleetman

Fleetman New Member

To quote someone famous...."anything I want!"

Nah, seriously, there is a huge following of .50BMG shooters for long range-shooting events.....1k+ yards. It is awesome to watch impacts at 500 yards. Ammo is approx $4.85 per round and reloading cuts the cost to around $3.00 - $3.50 dependent on the projectile.

Thank you all for the comments....I'm proud of the collection we've gathered over the years and we enjoy all guns from .177 B-B to the .50BMG.

When I grow up (as my gf refers to my mindset) I plan on adding a 20mm.

To Gatekeeper:
    I have the blued version of the .45-70 GG that I'll trade you for the 7600 .35 Whelen. I've been salivating about adding that particular caliber to the stable. Whose stock is that....way cool!

The .458 Lott in a ten-plus pound rifle is not bad although I, naturally, prefer to shoot it off sticks....bench shooting is a little headachy. 370 Sako ballistics look tempting enough to build upon!

8. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

I love the Whelen. Ive been a big, fast magnum guy(7mmSTW) for years but have recently fell in love with the quiet classic performance of the whelen.
    To quote a friend "Its nothin fancy, It just plain kills stuff!"
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the offer, but Im not giving this one up!:D
    I've got it down to 3/4" at 100yd with 250gr handloads
    Thats a factory remington 1 of 250 run in maple they made last year, I picked it up new at a local shop for not much more than standard '06 7600(@ $650). I put a VX-2 2-7x33 in Leupold QD mounts so I can use irons in bad weather.
    Ive got #150, there are still a few floating around the net., dont know about price though, remingtons MSRP was $1300:eek:
    Im just waiting on seeing if 370 sako brass becomes available or I'll probably go 9.3x62 in the Argentine action I've got.
    I like the numbers on the Sako, it seems like that might be the best medium bore cartridge that will fit in my Mausers '06 length action.

9. Fleetman

Fleetman New Member

I had no idea that was REAL wood.....I think I'm in love!! Very nice rifle! I would suspect prices would be high on the remaining 100. Beautiful hardware you've got there!

10. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

GunsAmerica - Remington 7600 Maple - 35 Whelen - Remington Rifles - Modern > Bolt Action Non-Model 700 > Sporting - Guns For Sale & Gun Auctions B"H
    Here's one I found shipped for about 750
    -------------------------------------
    If you want a 7600 in Whelen maybe contact the wholesaler Grice Gun Shop - Pennsylvania's Largest Gun Shop
    The way I understand it, they order the special runs from remington all the time. They still may have some. I saw a maple 7600 in 7mm-08 that came from there before as well.

11. Fleetman

Fleetman New Member

I said the "there's a good deal on a G" word to my gf and almost got my mouth washed out with soap! Let me see how it went as I remember...."just how long DO I have to sit on this old couch?", "how come every time there's a "good deal" on a gun it turns into $500 worth of accessories not counting the price of the gun?", "when do I get the new bedroom suite that I want?", "I wish I had a new car like every one else....how long DO "how come....??"", etc, etc, etc, etc!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  12. Wambli

Wambli Member

Custom 98 square bridge Magnum Mauser .375 Mag
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

:eek::eek:
    If thats your rifle Wambli, I hate you like I've never hated any other!:D
    J/k That is awesome, serious envy, truly a piece of art:cool:

14. Wambli

Wambli Member

Thank you! Yes it is. My wife gave it to me for my Birthday two years ago. She is a keeper (the wife that is, rifle too)...

15. Fleetman

Fleetman New Member

That is truly a beauty Wambli! Yes, I believe both are absolute keepers!

I too am fortunate to have a companion that understands my needs...this is what "Santa" left in my stocking this year.....(change of venue here but had to brag nonetheless...hahaha!)

Attached Files:

16. Wambli

Wambli Member

It's your thread so you can do your own highjacks ;) Then again a beautiful .45 acp is a big bore too! Any woman that'll give you a 1911 for Christmas is DEFINITELY a keeper, specialy one as nice as that Kimber!

17. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Wambli,that rifle is a work of art.Very nice.

Fleetman,you have a nice group of toys also.
    You guy's must not like your rotator cups,shooting those dinosaur canons,LOL. I have shot a 50BMG several times,and they are addicting,and make you appreiciate muzzlebrakes.

18. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Does my Marlin 336 in 35 Rem count?

19. m72law

m72law New Member

its not a rilfe...but does have a pretty big bore...66mm:)

Attached Files:

20. Fleetman

Fleetman New Member

Thanks for the replies all.....was cleaning up/re-arranging the safe and before wiping them down, snapped that pic.

66mm....hmmm, I figure that to be around 2.5" caliber???