Bi-Metal Bullets Russian 7.62 ?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by R-BOLT, Jun 16, 2009.

1. R-BOLT

R-BOLT New Member

In some older post on the CZ forum was reference to the older 7.62X39 Russian ammo as being brass/steel bi-metal bullets. Some of the posters would not shoot Russian ammo because of this information. most were fearing premature wear and tear on the rifle's barrell. Anyone know is this fact or fiction ? I have some purchased about 17 years ago. No clue to what the specs. of it is.

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Some are very likely hardened steel core/copper jacketed. No problem. Black tipped AP ammo.

Some may be mild steel core copper washed. Tough on the barrel but it would take several thousand rounds to see any appreciable difference.

Some may have bi-metal jackets. These are cupro-nickel and slightly magnetically attracted. No problem. Many western rifle bullets are bi-metal jacketed including WWB.

3. R-BOLT

R-BOLT New Member

Thanks for the information, will enjoy shooting these rounds.

4. WILDCATT

WILDCATT New Member

bi metal

during WW2 most countries used jackets that were copper and steel.two sheets of copper had a steel sheet rolled between them.others had jacket of mild steel copper plated.they are fine to shoot.the steel is very soft.:eek:

5. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

I have some Hirtenberger .308 that has a steel case around a lead core, with a copper "wrap" for lack of a better term, around the steel. I did a Saeco hardness test on the steel and it is pretty soft. Can't recall the number though.

The copper jacket over the steel is relatively thick. I recovered some of the projectiles and the rifling marks look to be the same as a standard copper jacketed bullet. These don't group worth beans, but they make noise... and the brass is good.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  6. R-BOLT

R-BOLT New Member

Great information guys. I am lucky a buddy of mine hooked me up with this board. Always a lot of helpful shooters on it willing to share their knowledge. THANK YOU !!