BG has the drop on you, what next?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by jjones45, Sep 1, 2013.

1. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Say a bad guy has the drop on you in a situation that he has you dead to rights and wants to rob you. Let's face it we can't always be on our toes no matter how hard we try. Do you give him what he wants, take a chance and draw on him, or wait till he turns to leave then take action your chosen way. I thought about this once and would like to hear some straight up honest answers.Personally I think I would give him what he wants then the moment I can draw my gun im going for it, not while dead to rights of course. The only problem is if I shoot this criminal in the back I have just became the one who is going to get prosecuted. So I guess I let him go and cut my losses if he runs away(he hopes)

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Is he armed? With what?

3. Devin556

Devin556 New Member

There was actually a man in the news recently, though I can't remember where, that was robbed and had his cc taken from him by the bg. After the bg left, he went to his car and got another firearm and ran the Ng down and shot him to get his stuff back. He was charged and convicted of murder. I really don't know what I would do. If my family was with me I would do whatever I needed to keep them safe. Even if it meant letting him rob me. If they aren't with me I would be more apt to taking risk. I guess I'll find out if it ever happens.

4. VoxRomantic

VoxRomantic Member

Look over his left shoulder and say. " John don't shoot him yet; we need to have some fun with this ass.":D

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i would say comply to the point where you could draw your pistol. most men also carry their wallet on their strong side. at the point of going for your wallet, depending on how attentive this guy is, you might be able to present your own pistol.

i will add this, if the guy is armed, i would definately be trying to get my pistol into may hand as soon as possible, just because now you are a witness to his crime and would be able to put him in prison for his criminal activity.

in all reality, i don't think shooting him in the back would be prudent, simply becasue of the reasons you stated, but i would think that getting the pistol out sas quickly as possible just because he may have second thoughts about leaving a witness.

i not for sure there is a right or wrong approach to this other than doing whatever is needed to survive the encounter.

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I agree with Axxe. As soon as I was able to draw I would do so. And there would be no warning. No "Drop it or I will shoot." If I am being robbed and it is bad enough I need my gun...I am taking a shot as soon as the opportunity presents itself.

7. jarhead0881

jarhead0881 New Member

That's a pretty hairy scenario with a BG having you dead to rights. If I felt my life or my family's well-being was in danger, pull no punches and do whatever it takes to protect those lives. If I felt the BG only wanted the cash out of my wallet, I would probably comply and notify the PD as soon as I safely could. It's a tough call. A lot of variables to consider. That's part of what makes carrying a firearm such a fluid situation. Ever changing.

8. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

If outside of arms length, I would loudly say something like "hey man dont shoot me i have lots of money let me get my wallet. You can have all of it." Then I would throw my wallet to him whether he wanted it or not and hope he reflexively tried to catch it in his strong hand, or at least watched it instead of me for a brief second. Either way as soon as the wallet left my hand I'd be drawing my weapon while stepping out of his line of fire and immediately firing/shouting "get on the ground!"

If inside arms length, I'd throw my hands up like I was scared and ask him a question to throw him off of his game, something simple like "hey why do you want to shoot me?" Or "dude where's you get that nice watch?" Then i'd try to knock the gun out of his hand or at least away from me with a strike to the center mass of his forearm while stepping out of the line of fire. I would attempt some disarming tactics if the gun didn't fly across the room. Im sure one of us would be dead in the following few seconds. Hopefully him.

There are way too many people getting shot during armed robberies around here for me to cooperate beyond trying to find/make an opening. I'll take my chances in a fight instead. Especially since if hes robbing me as soon as he opens my wallet he's gonna know I'm a cop and I'll probably be dead in the next second.

This is a good question and something everyone ought to think about. Having predetermined plans for different scenarios boosts your reaction time and helps you not to freak out and freeze up. I really like these kinds of discussions.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Damn we think alike. Although I'd probably try to hit him in the face with my wallet just because I'm an a$$hole and having a gun pointed at me pisses me off.
    You sound like you have more training than your typical Leo.

Aside from that I want to comment on the "you can't be on your toes all the time" comment in the op.
    Some of us have a very short time where we aren't on our toes, the few hours we sleep each night. Aside from that we are on high alert at all times.
    I'm sure I am not the only one here with this disorder.

10. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Yeah but sometimes we are in a rush, maybe on cell phone, thinking about something heavily. All kinds of scenarios to how a bg could possible be one up one you. Even being tired running on few hours of sleep wouldn't help. We all try to be alert and aware of our surroundings and some of us do a pretty good job 99.9% of the time. Be we our humans and our nature is not perfect. These our some great answers. Keep em coming please

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

The military teaches that the best tactic to over come an ambush when the enemy has every advantage and retreat or hold in place isn't an option is to attack.

In today's world of black racists killing people of all races not black out of racism and white brown yellow racists joining in on the murdering of innocent people because of boredom trusting your life to a guy who has so little regard for you as to take your property at gunpoint is fool hardy.

My theory is if I'm confronted like that I fight back hard and fast with full fury. If I die doing it at least I didn't die like a sheep. What YOU choose to do is your decision and you have to live or die with the decisions you make. No one else can decide for you

12. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

13. Axxe55

i believe there are options and that every situation can be different.

lets place this in a little different scenario. what if in the same type of situation, and suprisingly confronted by a BG with a gun and you have your wife and your kids with you?

i think this changes the dynamic of the situation quite a bit. simply because a misfired round from the BG at you could hit your wife or your child. when alone, we might take a different approach and immediately decide that going to the gun is the best choice.

so in this situation, maybe temporary compliance until we can safely or discreetly present a firearm would be better in the interests of safety of our loved ones.

14. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

This is an area where I'm lacking the training to effectively resist. I don't lack the desire to do so, and might die trying. I need to make time to get some actual training. Watching videos can plant an idea or two, but that's a far cry from actual physical contact.

Edit: By the way, it sucks being near 60 before deciding that this is necessary. Y'all young'uns need to get good training while you still have the agility, strength, etc. of youth.

15. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Check out a Krav Maga school. They're pretty common now and they teach some basic weapons disarming tactics that rely on gross motor skills instead of fine motor skills.

And in my experience Krav Maga instructors are usually more willing to teach you what you want to know for self defense rather than expect you to work your way up through the basic forms first.

Of course I'm no expert on the subject and there may be some super secret ninja on here who hates Krav Maga and knows something better. :shrug: I just know that they use a lot of the same disarming techniques that we're taught.

BTW If my family was around I wouldn't do anything different other than yelling at them to run when I threw my wallet or executed my strike. If anything I'd be more determined to take the guy out. I've actually had this conversation with my wife before, so she knows what to expect.

Also, to answer someone else's question, all law enforcement receive basic weapons retention and disarmament training. Not all of them learn it as well as they should or practice enough to become proficient with it but that's another issue altogether.

I've chosen to take some MMA, ground fighting and various martial arts classes over the years to keep myself in shape and learn new things. But that's a personal choice and I haven't learned anything "new" that id trust more than the basic weapons disarming techniques we're taught.

16. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Most criminals the trained Ccw or off duty po could probably overcome but there are some out there that will kill you for not following orders. I had a friend who left his wallet in his truck and went out to get it, then was surrounded by 2 armed thugs. He chose to give them what they wanted and he lived. Also there is a guy I know of who was shot while taking out the trash when he startled a criminal casing his place. I agree with doing things differently if my wife and kids are involved. Other than that I guess I just would calculate my chances and do what my instincts say. Its just not a good situation to be staring down a barrel of a gun.

17. Rick1967

Hey Axxe55 I understand your thinking. But at the same time, I would not wait until one of them has already been shot before I react. Then it is too late. I would try to look like I am complying. Maybe even try to look more scared than I really am. Act as though I am getting my wallet and BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG. I would keep shooting until I was certain my family was out of harms way.

Most criminals are not target shooters. I don't believe there are any competitive shooters out there robbing people. I think this would be over before he even realized I had a gun.

18. Rick1967

I believe everyone on this forum should be training for just this scenario. You should be well practiced at drawing from concealment and placing rounds on target within just a few seconds. Practiced self defense is not about standing behind a shooting table and shooting at paper plate sized targets 20 yards away. I do practice that way. But I also practice at 7 yards from the holster. Every concealed carry person should be doing that. The first time you do it should not be when someone is pointing a gun at you.

19. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Murderers and thugs come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. I even know of a woman who did armed robbery. The character of people is all that matters. Just saying.

20. Axxe55

i think we can agree that the safety of your loved ones is priority first and foremost. i think that if we believe compliance will ensure their safety, that is the direction we will go. i know i would. not being hindered by innocent bystanders or loved one, a person's actions might be a bit more aggressive.

yes i agree that most criminals are not target shooters, but there is the chance of always that one misfired round that through bad luck hits a loved one or an innocent bystander.

i believe that suprise and discretion in presenting the firearm are a good tactic in overcoming the situation. distraction is something else that can be used. i believe in using whatever allows you to survive the encounter.