better for concealed carry

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by greasefitn, Oct 14, 2013.

1. greasefitn

greasefitn New Member

just wanted to get some different opinions on single action or double action for concealed carry what are the pros and cons?

2. greasefitn

greasefitn New Member

Also whats your personal preferance and why?

3. JW357

JW357 New Member

Some people prefer longer trigger pulls with no thumb safeties. Others prefer a good short trigger pull with a thumb safety. Others don't put any thought into it.

I believe any "pros" or "cons" that people list in regard to either system is a feel-good excuse to not take the proper time to train on their preferred system. The only true safety is good judgement (keeping the finger off the trigger, keeping gun holstered until ready to fire, etc.).

There is no inherently "better" or "worse" system, which means any "pros" or "cons" associated with each are subjective and not really valid.

Not trying to be a grouch. Yours is a perfectly good question. Just giving my opinion.

4. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

It is true that a DAO or Glock type action system is more intuitive in operation under stress. If anyone tells you he has never left the safety on in a speed drill, he is lying. A 1911 takes more training and trigger discipline for safe carry, and only then it makes a fine companion.

5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I have carried DA type triggers for 27 years for cc.

6. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

DA-SA-DA/SA, it really does not matter. None are better than others. It's all about knowing your equipment and being proficient with it.

Me? I use both SA and DA/SA. I don't own a DAO so I wont give an opinion there. I've had Glocks, kind of like a .5 short of a DA. I've had a Sigma that was DAO. I had carried them but I am not really a fan of striker fired pistols. It's a preference and I can't say these options are bad.

If I was buying a CCW pistol today and wanted a DA/SA I'd look at something like a 229 Sig. I love the over all feel of a Sig, they are very accurate, and you get the SA with de-cock when the need is felt. THe 938 is really small and works well too. I've seen the 380 models (638?) And they look really good too but I've only shot one pistol one time so I really don't have a lot to go no there.
    A revolver then probably a Smith snubby. I prefer having an external hammer so something like the 637 works there pretty well for me.
    I guess the option of single action is something I really like to have. You have the ability to use single action which gives you a much better trigger.

At heart I'm a 1911 fan boy. I shoot them best when I'm shooting in a hurry and I just love the overall feel adn design. THose sweet SA triggers are like gun crack for me. I was hooked after just a few (target) hits. My overall fav to carry is a Para Ord LTC. Of course one does have to get used to carrying cocked and locked. But this is the way the pistol was designed to be carried. So it really should never be an issue. But it is for some and that's why a 1911 is NOT for everyone.

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

I believe its the P238.

8. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I think it may be the finest 380 of its size. But operating it under stress with a beefy paw is a test of fine motor skills that are known to get lost in a hurry.

9. 304inc

304inc New Member

For me I carry a sa / da with decocker .40 in condition 2,, chambered round, thumb safety on, its nothing to swipe the safety off on the way to target and squeeze the first round double action. The da IMO makes Ned's really unlikely. Of course the next 13 rounds are coming sa and fast.... just my. 2

10. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

You're right. I getting em all corn-fuzed :eek:

11. CarmelPaneristi

CarmelPaneristi New Member

I like SA. It really came down to when I was at the range and did draw and double tap drills. I had a very difficult time staying on target for the first shot when using a double action gun. With that said you should really carry what you are comfortable with. My first few years of CCW I carried a Glock without a round in the chamber. Now I carry a sig 938 or a kimber ultra .45 cocked and locked (condition 1)

12. greasefitn

greasefitn New Member

I ask because ive been sort of set on the Taurus pt638 .380 s/a but this will be my first carry gun since i should be getting my ccw within a month or two. Just wanting any info on any drawbacks of s/a for cc thank you everyone for their opinions and info its much appreciated.

13. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

A loaded and chambered single action semiauto requires a two step operation on a draw. A loaded and chambered double action semiauto or revolver takes one step to fire.

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

I carry da sa and dao guns. I like a variety but I shoot the guns I carry. I'm a heretic I carry my 1911 cocked but safety off, no different than carrying a glock or m&p or xdm. I also like to carry my da m9a1's and a few other types. Also carry a xdm. I've always got my dao lcp in the pocket.

The one running theme in my carry scheme is all I have to do is draw point and pull.

Whatever action type you choose is just preference. Shoot it a lot. Carry it always. The key to having a chance of surviving when the elephant comes in the room is having a gun... any gun.

15. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

I have and carry all 3, single action, double action only, and single/double according to where I'm going, weather, etc. I just make sure I keep track of which I'm carrying. All my semi's have manual safeties, so I don't have any confusion about that. Someone indicated they have trouble keeping the first shot out of a double action on target. I had the same problem, because the first shot doesn't kick off immediately upon the trigger hitting the stop. It seems that it has a hesitation of about a quarter of a second, enough to let the gun move before it fires. I have no idea why that is, but I learned to use an extreme rigid grip on the gun and freeze in place until I feel the recoil. If anybody knows why the delay, please feel free to speak up.

16. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

It may be a perceived delay, in anticipation of recoil. It may be the sear/hammer release impeded by dirt, grease, on ill fitting assembly. Let a friend shoot the gun, see what they say.

17. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

I use to carry my Ruger LCP (which is double action). It has no external safety and at first I carried without one in the chamber. I then started carrying it chambered. Now I carry my double action S&W 30-1 revolver as I can shoot it better, it feels better in my hands and I can get faster follow up shots with it.

18. Donn

Donn Active Member

+1^^^^ Carry a 1911, (I did till about four years ago), and you need to drill with it, till your thumb hitting the safety and the grip safety disengaged becomes second nature. I haven't been in a stress situation lately, so the less details the better. I carry either an M&P Shield or a J frame for that reason. Moderator Jon says he carries his 1911 cocked, thumb safety off, claims it's no different than an M&P. I disagree, the trigger makes a big difference IMHO. No margin for error with a 1911. It obviously works for Jon, but I wouldn't roll those dice.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  19. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Thanks, Mercator. I'll have the gun checked out, and I'll also try to not be so uptight about the first shot. Maybe my expectation of a problem is causing it to happen.

20. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a lot of different guns that I carry. But they are all double action with no safety. Once the sights are on target simply pull the trigger. I do not carry anything I do not shoot a lot. The only exception to this is a 1911. I compete with a 1911 in IDPA. About a second after the buzzer goes off holes start appearing on the targets. I have practiced so much with that gun that I don't notice myself pushing the release button on my holster or deactivating the safety on the gun. I would carry it all the time. But a lot of it has to do with the fact that I can not carry at work. So I must lock it in my car. Pocket gun in inside jacket pocket is easy in and out. I often wear a tie and dress jacket.