Better .338 Lupa? Armalite AR-30 or SAKO TRG-42

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by HvegasCowboy, Jun 19, 2010.

1. HvegasCowboy

HvegasCowboy New Member

I'm am looking into buying one of the rifles for long range shooting, and I was wondering if anybody had firsthand experience with either one of these rifles. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

If you can afford the $6 to pull the trigger and have access to somewhere to shoot 500 to 1000+ yards, the TRG-42 will be the better choice. It is is use by many european military and police SWAT teams.

The price of the rifle is just the start. Consider what you will spend on the scope to meet the rifles needs at distance.

It will be a fun choice !

3. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy New Member

well if your going to be putting out the money i would go with the barrett model 98. barrett is the top of the line for the 338 lapua and 50 bmg. so if i were you i would put a little more money out and get a barrett:D

4. HvegasCowboy

HvegasCowboy New Member

Well to get a Barrett, I'd have to put out a little more than a "little more", lol.

Armalite AR-30 - $1,882.00
    SAKO TRG-42 - $2,960.00
    Barrett 98b - $4,399

These are the lowest prices I have found each gun at. I really can't dish out $5,000 on a rifle right now. I just want to know if the SAKO is really worth $1,000 more than the Armalite.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

These are very expensive, and customized, platforms. At this price range, it kind of bears knowing what you are looking to do. :confused:

Long Range Shooting is kind of implied when anyone is talking about the .338 Lapua, but what kind of shooting?

Competition?

Paper Punching?

Varmint shooting (too expensive of a round for that I would think)?

Extreme Range Zombie Elimination?

And have you factored in the price of optics to take advantage of the rifles abilities as Dgunsmith has indicated?

JD

6. HvegasCowboy

HvegasCowboy New Member

I will be long range competition shooting for "beginners" lol. I am not a beginner shooter, just a beginner 500+ yard shooter. I understand it will be expensive, and that is why I am not going to start off buying a $10,000 Barrett 50 cal. I don't want to get the Barrett 98b because that will deplete all of my saved funds for this project, and I would have to wait before I could buy optics. So if I buy the Armalite or even the SAKO, I would still have enough money to dump into a scope.

And you never know about those zombies... lol

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well, given that you are a "beginner" at this range, and you want to shoot competition, I think going with the .338 is just throwing money away.

You don't need that kind of fire power to be competitive, what you need to do is take some time and do some reading about long range shooting.

Are you talking about across the course, or benchrest, or sniper challenges?

While there are people that are shooting these magnum sized calibers, they are competing in specialized shooting events for those platforms. So, unless you want to do that, buying a stock "anything" is going to be pigeon-holing yourself.

Now, .338 Lapua can be had in "Match Grade" off the shelf ammo. That is a mild plus. But even so, the ammo is not going to be fire formed to your chamber and it's not going to be tuned to your weapon. That is why everyone who shoots in serious competitions is reloading custom rounds for competition.

So, my question to you is, how serious are you about getting into this? Because if you start at the letter "E", that may not be able to take you all the way to "Z".

Just my $0.02

8. HvegasCowboy

HvegasCowboy New Member

Well, my father has a buddy that shoots F-Class competitions, and that is what has gotten me into this type of shooting. I plan on purchasing a Leupold Mark 4 scope, and I will be shooting Lapua 155-grain loads. And the guy my dad knows loads his own ammunition so I am sure I'll be learning all about that too. What I am planning on getting may be a little high-end for a "beginner", but I want something that I wont have to replace if I ever decide to step it up. And I of course will not be starting out at 1,000 yards. It's kind of like when you have the money to get a Corvette, but you really only "need" a Cavalier...

9. doctherock

doctherock New Member

10. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy New Member

oh alright sorry buddy. i was just making sure you were aware of barrett making one. The only reason i brought it up is because i too have looked at the lapua and after i looked at the guns side by side the barrett is so much better built.

Good luck on your search.

11. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Of the 2 choices you listed, IMO the Sako is usually the better, more accurate rifle .

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Barret is not a better rifle than the Sako. The only thing Barret has going for it. Is that he refuses to sell to CA LEO agencies because CA banned his 50bmg rifles.

First off you are shooting 15 15 and 20 rounds in an F-class match or there abouts. That is fifty shots in a short amount of time. Can you handle the 338 Laupa mag recoil? Have you ever shot one.

Most F-class stuff is shot with 308 and smaller rounds. You the shooter gets fatigued as the day goes on. In my area we are on an open firing line in the HOT SUN for most of the day. Banging away with a 338 is not going to be conductive Long distance accuracy about 75 rounds in a day plus most people will not want to be within 50 feet of you shooting that monster with a break on it.Your not going to make any friends on the line with that monster either. F-TR is shot only with 308 win. Most use 175gr or 180gr Match bullets. Sierra makes a 155gr Palma Match bullet because in Palma shooting you are stuck by the rules with a 308win 155gr bullet. F-Open can be any caliber under 50bmg I think. At my F-class shoot it is all shot together.

For starting out in the F-Class or 1k bench rest. Look for the Savage F-TR rifle in 308 win. While the 308 is not the perfect 1k rifle for F-class it will let you get started for $1k + optics. the Sako is going to set you back at least $4k just for the rifle.

For me startign in the F-Class world I would get the following set up.

Savage F-TR in 308 win. Savage 12 F/TR 308 SHIPS FREE : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com
    Badger Ord 20MOA rail. Badger Ordnance Maximized Picatinny
    Leupold 30mm Mark 4 Picatinny Rings Leupold 30mm Mark 4 Picatinny-Style Rings Matte Medium - MidwayUSA
    Sightron SIII 10-50x60mm Sightron 10-50x60 SIII 30mm Riflescope

If you don't reload I would also invest in 2 cases of Black hills 175gr match ammo. Black Hills Ammunition 308 Winchester 175 Grain Match

Rifle $1017
    Mount $140
    Rings $140
    Scope $950
    Ammo $750
    Total $2997 + Tax and fees.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  13. lkd

lkd New Member

I'm still not clear what kind of long range shooting you plan on doing. If it's just target competition, why not something like 6mmBR/BRX? Are you doing your own reloading (hope so)?

14. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy New Member

how can you say that barrett isnt as good as SAKO?? have you ever shot a barrett model 98 because they are a fine shooting piece of equiptment! and the barrett model 98 does not have bad recoil at all! i have never shot a SAKO so i couldnt tell you how it shots or how bad its recoil is. But i could go all day on this arguement because i have done alot of research on the 338 lapua and the 50 bmg and i would take a barrett over any other rifle in thoughs calibers.

15. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I too have done research. I am not saying the Barrett is bad. I personally don't think it is as good as the Sako for price.

For the price of the barrett you can get a custom built 338 laupa or 338 edge that will shoot rings around it any day of the week. Just because something cost a lot of money doesn't make it the best.

We had 2 different Sako's growing up. One was an L461 in 222 rem that gun would shoot less that 1/4" groups all the time. The Other one was a Finnbear in 264 win mag and it would shoot 1/2" groups as well. That is amazing for that cartridge and with a light weight hunting barrel.

$2000 of the Price of the Barrett is paying for the name..... Thats $285 a letter.

16. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy New Member

i understand that. and ill give you this one. haha

but when it comes to 50 bmg you cant find me a strong, better made, more accurate, then the barrett model 99. :D

17. m72law

m72law New Member

i'd go with the armilite...just because its cheaper,built just as good as any other and will shoot better than you can:D...whats stronger,better made, more accurate, then the barrett model 99?...what about the McMillan TAC-50:D

18. m72law

m72law New Member

everytime i see or here someone says the name 'barrett' i think of this pic:eek:

Attached Files:

19. m72law

m72law New Member

viper makes a very strong 50bmg....[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI4Azhg552o]YouTube - 50 BMG Rifle Strength Test[/ame]

20. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I am not saying Barrett is a bad gun. It is not. I think you are paying a lot for the Name why because every UBER Mall Ninja Tacticool idiot with money wants one because the military has them. just because the military has it doesn't mean it is god gift to the shooting world. Remember your paying a higher price for a Barrett because they are charging the govt a fraction of that.

the govt get bids and who ever comes in the lowest wins. Even with weapon systems.