Best WWII smg?

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by jestsumguy, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Thompson M1928A1/M1A1

30 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. MP-40

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  3. PPSh-41

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. Sten

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. Suomi KP/-31

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  6. M3 Grease gun

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  7. Type 100

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. jestsumguy

jestsumguy New Member

What do you think was the best WWII smg? I say the MP-40. I use it most on Call of Duty.

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The Thompson M1A1, it's the one assigned to me in the Navy.

I shot two, from the hip one time! (60 rds - .45 ACP Ball)

3. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

Can you really base your knowledge on Call of Duty? I've shot plenty of virtual smg models, but have fired NONE of these in real life. Especially not in the environment they were intended for... war. I think I'd trust a firearms historian or at least a WWII vet, before I'd trust COD.

Don't get me wrong. I love to play COD, but I don't think that makes me an expert. For the record, a lot of WWII historians talk highly of the suomi. It was supposedly very accurate for an smg, not as heavy as other weapons in its category and very reliable.

4. Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe

Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe New Member

i would really like to own a stermgewehr 44, but it didnt make it onto you list.

as far as best, id have to agree, the thompson is a fine machine. but id rather own the STG44 for sure

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

i voted for the thompson because of its superior handling characteristics under full automatic fire. it was probably the most sought after weapon in the war by all sides germans japs ruskie brits and americans.

6. richardnorton

richardnorton New Member

I have shot most of the ones on the list, and only the Thompson in anger. I'd love to shoot the STG44 with that 8mm short, but I haven't even seen either one in my life. And I might add the M3 "greasegun" is the biggest pig I have ever shot. I own an Ingram MAC10 in .45 that is a blast to shoot. I love it and so does anyone I invite to shoot it.

7. RONSERESURPLUS

RONSERESURPLUS New Member

My Vote

Hello all

RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

I have to go with what they made my the Thousands and are still makde today! The Lowly Sten SMG, Ugly, cheap, BUT THERE! The Brits need a cheap, easy to make gun of time, so here's my Vote!

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

depends on what you want to call the best. Is it the nicest machined best looking gun? Then yeay the 1928 will fill the bill the best. Most German guns were also very well made and had lots of machine work on them.

If you want the one that cost the least is the most user friendly and is made to fire every time you pulled the trigger no matter what was on it, or in it. That would be the grease gun. It was ugly and could just about be stapmed out of a metal trash can and yes in real life (Not your stupid dumb ass douchetastic world of COD) it cold be mistaken as a grease gun. It was cheap and easy to make meaning we could get more of them into action that the thompson. For the time it took to make 1 thompson you could STAMP out 100+ of the M3 grease gun.

Now that you have been schooled. Get off my board and go play your stupid XBox and leave the MEN to talk about guns.

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

You are one hilarious a$$hole, Tango! LOLLLL jeezus help me

10. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

......huh?

11. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

What?? They do not have any FTF or malfunctions on COD? The MP-40 was notorious for FTF malfunctions and problematic. Not a very realistic game if the weapons never malfunction, as they do in real life. :rolleyes:

Jack

12. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I'm gonna call Jack and Tango "Butter" because they're on a roll tonite!

13. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBGJANUKfUw&feature=related]YouTube - Grandma Shooting MP40[/ame] :D

14. YoungGunWill

YoungGunWill New Member

I fell in love with the Thompson M1A1 when I went to knob creek, shot two thirty round sticks, since then I have wanted to go back for seconds...:D

15. User Name

User Name New Member

I voted PPSH because waisting led can be fun :D. But seriously I think I would like the STG44 the best out of all the WWII SMG's.

16. ronl

ronl New Member

Certainly one of the best, if not the best SMG of WW2 was the Beretta M1938 series. The Germans in Italy much preferred them over their weapons and they were procured if possible. If you count the length of time used, it ranks right near the top as some variations were used up into the 80's. After the war they were produced for many countries, even Germany, for police and military use.

17. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

It was not a true MP. It used a Kurtz cartridge. They just had nothing else in that class, nothing else to call it. Suomi KP/-31

18. YoungGunWill

YoungGunWill New Member

pattersonnh I agree, it uses an intermeadent round thus classifying it as an assault rifle; hence its absence

19. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

7.92 Kurz. Kurtz was a character in Apocolypse Now. StG Sturm Gewer. Translation - Literally Storm Rifle. Assault Rifle. The StG was the first true assault rifle, not an SMG even though the original designation was MP-43. This was just used to hide the fact that the engineers were working on a rifle against Hitler's orders.

For me the 1928 Thompson. Beautifully built and apportioned SMG. Accurate, reliable and robust. On the down side it was heavy and expensive. I happen to have nearly unfettered access to a 21/28 overstamp Navy model. OMG, she is truly a thing of beauty.

20. General_lee

General_lee New Member

If I'm not mistaken, the MP-40 and the Stermgewehr are the same gun.
    Hitler was originally opposed to the creation of the MP40, but production continued in secret. When Hitler found out about the MP40, he decided to rename it the stermgewehr 44.
    Technically though, the stermgewehr is not a SMG, it's an assault rifle because it fires an intermediate round instead of a pistol round.
    It might not be the MP40, but I know the "Storm Rifle"s original name was MP-something.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010