Best wholesalers for home based FFL

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by redraider, Feb 10, 2012.

1. redraider

redraider New Member

Hey i just got my 01 and 06 FFL license. What are the best wholesalers for home bases FFL?

What ones carry benelli, us optics, or archery equipment?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Jerry's Sports Center seems to have what you're asking for.

3. redraider

redraider New Member

do they deal with home based ffls?

4. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter New Member

If you want to sell Benelli or Beretta shotguns you are probably out of luck unless you have deep pockets. You have to purchase a large amount to be a dealer(like 20K or something) and they are dealer direct.

5. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

These are the ones I have accounts with:

Grice Wholesale
    Lipsey's
    Valor
    RSR Group
    Shirk's Supply
    Zanders
    S. Ohio Gun
    Williams
    Davidsons
    MGE Wholesale

They don't care if you are home based or not. No minimum purchases.

I established with Jerry's, but the first time I called and asked about just a holster, I got treated like s##t over the phone. Never called them again. I'm waiting to get approved by Sports South.

Zanders, MGE and Williams seem to have the best pricing of the group and it definately varies from wholesaler to wholesaler. I try to deal with them primarily as also they accept either check fax or ACH debit which costs me nothing extra to do, so that's one charge I don't have to pass along to my clients. A few only accept either mailing in payment or using a debit/credit card and upcharging you 2-3% for the transaction. S. Ohio is a good place to get surplus and foreign weapons like Makarovs, M98s and AKs and such. They seem to specialize in them. All have different terms of payment and shipping costs vary between them. All have good service. Some carry brands that others do not, so get established with several wholesalers. It's not difficult at all.

There's others that I want to establish with, but either want you to be a stocking dealer, have a storefront, or do minimum purchases (at least at first), or have bank references that smaller dealers like us don't necessarily have, or all of the above. It's a shame as they are the ones that seem to get the best inventory replacement from the manufacturers. I learned a LOT from dealing with several distributors and not being afraid to ask questions of the reps. I also talked to several factory reps when the NRA conference was in town last year. One call I made to Smith & Wesson when nobody had any Walther PPKs in stock and I had a client with cash in hand was very telling. Quite an education, for sure!

Make sure you have fax capability of some sort for several reasons. You'll need it, and not just to deal with the wholesalers.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  6. ballcoach16

ballcoach16 New Member

Is Valor still in business? I get an error page on their website.

7. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

I tried calling them the other day. The phone menu was strange, nothing about sales so I'm not really sure. I get the same thing when I try to bring up their web site.

8. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

Sports South has great service and the flat, tiered shipping rates are the best Ive seen. Issues with popular items out of stock, but thats anywhere.

9. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Are there any distributors out there that will let you order ammo, accessories, etc before you get your FFL? I know I can't get any firearms but it seems you can't buy any accessories either while waiting on the FFL.

10. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

wholesalers demand an ffl to give wholesale/dealer prices

11. dvcguns

dvcguns New Member

I signed up for a bunch of them when I got my FFL but South Sports has gotten 99% of my business. RSR group got one order for a G17 when SS was out.

SS is a Sig dealer all the others I tried were not and their prices were as good as anyone's.

12. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

You will find that a number of distributors will no longer handle Sig. What was related to me was that not only are they difficult to deal with, but they actively attempt to circumvent the distributors. They will identify the retailers that sell a lot of their guns and contact them offering to go factory direct and cut the middle men out. Good for the retailer, bad for the distributor.

13. CAW308

CAW308 New Member

Didnt Jerry's get bought out by Ellet Bro's? Jerry's wont work with home based or small business with all sort of pictures of your inventory and Or at least thats how it used to be.

14. Run2trouble

Run2trouble New Member

I believe that they have.

15. kycol

kycol New Member

I had my ffl years ago, but I found out that unless you could by in volume the prices were not all that great. A lot of times the large dealers in the area where retailing better prices than most whole sellers. Also if you were large enough and prove a certain level of business and or purchase a specific amount you could deal direct with the manufacturer.

16. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

im a home based dealer and have used jerrys /now ellots for 25 years

17. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

How has that been with 1st time customers? Are new customers leery about buying from a home based dealer?

18. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

The internet will likely be your best source of business in a home based operation.

19. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

no internet gun ads sell at wholesale.

20. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

My idea to start out is to use my walk out basement which has a separate entrance. It will be setup with display cases, register, accessory pegboards, and long gun racks. Obviously co-workers and friends will be the first I sell too (along with internet sells) but I think I will get a lot of business through word of mouth. I've seen home based stores in separate buildings, garages, etc, but haven't seen any setups like mine and was wondering if anyone had any experience with a shop like I described. Sorry to the OP for jacking the thread.