Best website for accurate non-biased reviews?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by jcast, Dec 22, 2011.

1. jcast

jcast New Member

Can anyone provide a good website for accurate reviews? I'm looking to purchase a handgun and there's alot of scattered information and not alot of easy to see detail.

2. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Right here is a good place to start.
    What ya been looking to buy?

3. jcast

jcast New Member

9mm w preference towards ambidextrous controls. I'm lefty.

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

1911 style- all steel - all poly - poly steel mix - CCW size - full size - with rail - without rail - target sights - fixed sights - hi cap - single stack - ect :confused:
    If you narrow it down bet we could be of more help :cool:

I'm a huge 1911 all steel fan myself -
    Been very happy with my RIA Tactical 9mm:)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  5. jcast

jcast New Member

Would be my first gun so I'm a little new. Full size cause I have big hands. Pref something easy to use and around 500. I like the fn fnx9, s&w m&p9, Walther ppq, xdm. I researched them all n they seem ok but not one stands out. I was just told got to see and hold it. I live in ny so the laws suck here. Trying to get the most info I can before I go by. Can't even hold one without my permit.

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Out of those I'd vote for the Springer XDM :cool:
    Had a XD & still regrete trading it off :(

7. jcast

jcast New Member

Have you tried the fnx or m&p9. I really like the way they both look. The reviews are pretty good also. Except for some play in the m&p trigger.

8. Robc10x

Robc10x New Member

Is there a range near you that rents guns? Other than holding them in a gun shop its really ideal if you can get some time behind the trigger. No range rentals? Join a local club or ask local friends who shoot. Bottom line is get what feels good and be prepared to buy another! Betcha can't have just one!

9. Robc10x

Robc10x New Member

Forgot to add I enjoy the gunblast reviews. Google it.

10. glockman55

glockman55 Member

Don't leave Glocks out..work for lefty's...G-23 is a nice mid sized 40 cal. Go to a gun shop and handle a few, and shoot em if you can. Good Luck

11. mcb

mcb New Member

Glocks are simple to operate, reasonably priced, reliable, and come in several calibers and 3 sizes. Great first gun.

12. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Absolutely totaly 100% disagree with the "1st gun" part :(

13. jcast

jcast New Member

I don't like Glocks because they look awful and have a brick for a grip. Friends have a few and I wasn't accurate with them. They are also not very lefty friendly seeing as to convert the mag release to left side would take some work. Really thinking bout the fn fnp9 or the s&w m&p9. Just waiting for the permit which sucks. Takes forever in ny. But I like best9mm.com. Pretty good selection for the under $600 quota.

Also gun buster is horrible. That guy says "A" more than a Canadian.

14. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

There are no single sources for 100% "truth," ESPECIALLY when concerning firearms. If you limit your sources, you might get lucky and get a genuinely good bit of information, or you might not.

For example, and just as an example, consider Glocks. They are the single most widely used sidearm among police around the country. They have an extremely well-deserved reputation for functional reliability. Yet, most everyone on this forum hates them. Not to knock on anyone here, but this forum is among an extreme minority of groups who have a majority who genuinely dislike Glocks. In fact, this was the first forum I ever saw in which such open hostility toward them was so common--everywhere else, even 1911, XD, and other general firearms forums, the worst sentiments still include an admission that they are indeed tough, reliable, simple, and budget-oriented. Conversely, here, if you ask about Glocks you'll leave believing that they are practically the worst gun on the planet and that clearly the millions of owners were just sold into hype :p .

I'm not trying to push Glocks or anything (though I do think they are fantastic fighting guns), I just think you should be willing to spread out your research to many different sources if you genuinely want the best info. Lots of it will likely be contradicting, but you will learn to be able to take things with a grain of salt and sort out the biased opinions from general information.

15. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

What makes a better first gun than something that is very simple, very reliable, very easy to use, and has a low initial cost?

16. jcast

jcast New Member

Lindenwood I really agree with what you just posted. I am so surprised about how much different opinion there is out there. I agree with what you said about Glocks I just don't like them. I have had a few rounds through a few different models. I am basing some of my thoughts on shooting a HK p2000 .40. The fnx and m&p are comparable. I want a 9mm to start because the ammo is cheaper and feel its a better first gun to have. So my opinion is biased. I have seen alot of different reviews for every gun. Guess its just like politics. Just very surprised there is no really big gun review site out there.

17. bones72

bones72 New Member

I really like the m&p and the xdm both imo I like better than the glock. Not saying the glock is a Bad gun because it's not,they are very good just don't care for the feel of the gun. But IMO its what works best for each person!!

18. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Interesting site. This stuff is all pretty subjective, but at least they got #1 right!

Get ahold of each XDm, M&P, SR9, FNP, etc....play with the controls a bit, and you'll probably have your answer. The only part of an XDm that isn't ambi is the slide lock and take down lever, which shouldn't really be an issue.

19. jcast

jcast New Member

I guess it all comes down to pissing off the gun store I go to and having them show me guns for 2 hours. I am picky as all heck if you can't tell. Spending $500 on a handgun on top of it being something that can save my life/protect my home and gf. Just stinks that where I am in NY they don't really have a test range. I would love that.

20. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

I have a FNX , XD in 40 and the CZ P-07 in 9mm. Of all three , and they all 3 are solid pistols, I like the FN best. Go look at it and handle it. Accurate and reliable. I've looked at the M&P several times and just don't like it. My next purchase will be the Walther PPQ in 9mm.